I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

Old June 3rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

Default Thank you for keeping me around... (was: I gave away my cats...)

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:28:43 +0000, jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt wrote:

Thanks for not excommunicating from this newsgroup (via killfiling) for
my comments about giving away cats. OK, so everyone ignored my post, but
at least I'm still included in other discussions!

On second reading, I can see why people are upset about cats being given
away to someone who will keep them as barn cats. I think that if you must
give away your cats, then you need to be responsible about it and find
them a good home where they will be loved and well cared-for. This doesn't
sound like a great situation for them, I have to agree.

I do think that giving away your pets is something you should try to
avoid if at all possible. But sometimes it can't be avoided, and I don't
think that's "wrong". I do feel quite strongly that there are situations
where it is actually better for the animals to be rehomed to stable and
loving people, if you can no longer provide that for them.

I personally am not considering re-homing any of my cats, in case
anyone was wondering! If Smudge and Licky were regularly drawing blood
from each other, and making life miserable for each other and the rest
of us - and if I'd tried everything to change the situation and nothing
worked - I might have to seek a new home for one of them. But I'm not
even close to that point, and never have been.

Which reminds me, the Feliway seems to be working nicely on the general
atmosphere around here. No, there's no cuddling and grooming going on
between the sworn enemies, but the growling and hissing is greatly
reduced, I haven't heard any actual fights at all, and I'm no longer
waking up to find tufts of Smudge fur strewn on the living room rug. So,
a definite improvement!

Joyce

Well, I have 844 unread posts. This one prompted me to look up the post
you referred to. I cannot do anything but agree with you. All of my cats
were either strays or re-homed cats. Don't feel your posts are ignored.
There just seems to be so many to read recently and it is hard to keep up.
Best wishes for a peaceful household. MLB

Old June 6th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

"223rem" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be moving from a house in a suburban/semi-rural area to an
apartment in a big metropolis. Now my cats can go out whenever they
want and in fact they spend more time outdoors than indoors. They love
to roam, climb trees, hunt, etc. They'd probably go nuts if confined
in an apartment.

To my surprise, my landlord, who always pets my cats when he rans into
them, offered to take my cats and 'give them a good home' in a barn on
his 50 acre farm. They'll probably become "barn cats"! This guy is a
honorable man, he's proven that many times, so he'll keep his promise.

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I wrong?
What would you have done in my place?

I don't what your situation is that causes you to move from where you can
have your cats to where you can't.
I only know when I split from my ex years ago, I fought tooth and nail to
keep this place as at the time (we) had 11 dogs.
I won in the end but it cost me every penny I had in legal fees. So my
answer is I didn't abandon my pets.

Tweed

Old June 7th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"223rem" wrote in message
[...]

Not everyone is able to do that, though, Tweed. I can utterly understand the
poster being sad, but has done the right thing in the circumstances *as
described* by finding suitable alternative arrangements for the cats. I'd
hate to be in the position of the OP: I'd be devastated, and there but for
the grace of ... insert name of deity of choice.

Old June 7th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

wafflycat wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"223rem" wrote in message
[...]

Good to see you posting again, Helen, I was wondering how you were doing.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 7th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

Good to see you posting again, Helen, I was wondering how you were doing.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Ta, Adrian.

I'm fine. Vernon is fine.

Nathan is injured - he came off his bike at a road race (Lotus circuit -
closed roads) when another rider locked handlebars with him - then went up
over the bars and barrel-rolled at about 30mph. Bruised noggin (shattered
lid), broken shoulderblade, haemotoma on hip the size of a melon and acres
of road rash. All down his right-side and he spent two days his horse
spittal. Guess who starts his A-levels on Monday and guess who can't write?
No prizes for guessing the correct answer.. I'm spending a lot of time out
on my bike, as I'm doing the Dunwich Dynamo at the end of July. It's a 200km
night ride from Hackney out to the coast at Dunwich, so I get out as much as
possible to get training miles in so I can last the distance!

Felines ruling the homestead as is their right. Waffles brings me plenty of
mousies she has been attempting to gum to death :-) They've also spent
oodles of time nursing Nathan with use of feline ultrasound (purrs) to the
broken shoulderblade and bruised hip :-)

Old June 7th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Lots of purrs for Nathan's recovery and good luck purrs for his exams.

Old June 7th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"223rem" wrote in message
[...]

I seriously doubt the poster did any such thing. He has posted upsetting
nonsense before just to get a reaction. Or if prior posts are true the cats
are better off without him anyway.

Jo

Old June 7th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wafflycat wrote:

Nathan is injured - he came off his bike at a road race (Lotus circuit -
closed roads) when another rider locked handlebars with him - then went up
over the bars and barrel-rolled at about 30mph. Bruised noggin (shattered
lid), broken shoulderblade, haemotoma on hip the size of a melon and acres
of road rash.

Yikes! That sounds serious. Hope he's recovering OK! BTW, what does
"shattered lid" mean? I'm picturing a cartoon where someone's head has
a lid that opens up to expose the brain. I'm sure that's not what you
meant.

All down his right-side and he spent two days his horse spittal.

Translate?

Guess who starts his A-levels on Monday and guess who can't write?

Oh, dear. Can't he make arrangements to take the tests later? I suppose
that's difficult because of the potential for cheating... not to say that
Nathan would cheat, but the school might have a policy against rescheduling
a standard test. Hope not!

Felines ruling the homestead as is their right. Waffles brings me plenty of
mousies she has been attempting to gum to death :-)

She's getting to be an old lady, isn't she? Or rather, a grand old dame.

They've also spent
oodles of time nursing Nathan with use of feline ultrasound (purrs) to the
broken shoulderblade and bruised hip :-)

Feline ultrasound! Perfect name for it. I'm sure it's helping the
healing process.

Feline ultrasound to all of you,
Joyce