37 year old cat , hard to believe

Old September 16th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Michael Lane

Default 37 year old cat , hard to believe

I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the most
recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to be 37 years
old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of Duluth Minn. Cats name is
Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat
entry. Never been out of the house except to visit vet. If this is true
I hope baby lives on & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is
written on as three.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

Old September 16th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:24:47 -0400, T wrote:

In article ,
says...

I take this farm mag " Farm Show out of Lakeville, Minn " in the most
recent issue is an article + picture of a cat alleged to be 37 years
old. Vol 31 no.5 2007. Owner is Al Palusky of Duluth Minn. Cats name is
Baby. This cat was supposedly in Cat Fancy magazine & won the oldest cat
entry. Never been out of the house except to visit vet. If this is true
I hope baby lives on & on. Al has a photo dated 1973 & Baby age is
written on as three.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

In most population distributions you always have outliers that live
either far shorter or far longer lives than others of the class.

Lifetimes of mammales fit very nicely onto bell curves.

I think a far more likely story is that the people who are saying that the
cat is 37 years old are telling a tell tale. It is like a person living to
250 years. The # of people living past 140 are zero, the number of people
living past 150 are zero, ditto for 160 and the same goes all the way out to
250.

Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.
Old September 17th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from AZ Nomad :

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:24:47 -0400, T
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
plausible? Some strange genetic abnormality or herbal supplemented
diet or rare root from the Amazon rain forest could not possibly
prolong an animal's life to almost three times the normal lifespan?

I only ask because if it is possible for twice their normal lifespan,
why could it not be for thrice?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 17th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote
Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've heard
of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation.

Old September 17th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

AZ Nomad wrote:

Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

A quick Google on 'Guinness oldest cat' turns up several who have. The
oldest one I saw was 34.

Old September 18th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote
Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even
remotely plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true.
I've heard of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation.

Hehe. That's OK, I believe you. : )

Heck I was not even aware of how long cats normally lived until I
looked it up yesterday.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 18th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote
Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even
remotely plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true.
I've heard of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation.

Hehe. That's OK, I believe you. : )

Heck I was not even aware of how long cats normally lived until I
looked it up yesterday.

I knew a cat named Harriett who was said to be age 28. Harriett gave me the
impression that it is possible to live far too long for your own good. lol

Honestly, she was a white long-hair, and the rheumiest-eyed, boniest,
scabbiest, creakyest, croakingist cat I had ever seen. She ruled the roost
though, kept to big young toms in line every day.

Old September 18th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"-Lost" wrote
Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've heard
of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation.

Know any humans 250 years old?
Old September 18th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:12:28 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"-Lost" wrote
Same with cats. No cats live past 30. zero zip zilch nada.

Totally curious here as I have no clue, but it is not even remotely
plausible?

Whenever you hear an absolute like this, it's generally not true. I've
heard
of cats reaching 30. No, I don't have documentation.

Know any humans 250 years old?

I was thinking you might be.