of cats & possums

Old September 20th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Michael Lane

Default of cats & possums

There is a couple cats ( we have 4 ) that stop by here to snack on
occasion. They are not touchable. There are also some possums that come
out of the woods behind my house , almost same time every night. I have
a 9 x 14 pan i put table scraps in for the possums + oid can cat food
with a little grease on it. Looked out the door other night & there sat
the baby possum on one side of pan eating & one of the stray cats eating
from other side. When they finished both went their on way.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

Old September 20th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Sep 20, 10:29 am, (Michael Lane) wrote:
There is a couple cats ( we have 4 ) that stop by here to snack on
occasion. They are not touchable. There are also some possums that come
out of the woods behind my house , almost same time every night. I have
a 9 x 14 pan i put table scraps in for the possums + oid can cat food
with a little grease on it. Looked out the door other night & there sat
the baby possum on one side of pan eating & one of the stray cats eating
from other side. When they finished both went their on way.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

My pussy don't bother the opossums even if they're babies. The
opossums will eat what the cat won't. Only thing is the opossums are
a bit ugly with all those teeth and lots of drooling. From a
distance they look like rats.

Old September 21st 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 20 Sep, 15:29, (Michael Lane) wrote:
There is a couple cats ( we have 4 ) that stop by here to snack on
occasion. They are not touchable. There are also some possums that come
out of the woods behind my house , almost same time every night. I have
a 9 x 14 pan i put table scraps in for the possums + oid can cat food
with a little grease on it. Looked out the door other night & there sat
the baby possum on one side of pan eating & one of the stray cats eating
from other side. When they finished both went their on way.

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

any photos? i have never seen a possum, don't have them in this
country I don't think, but then we have hedgehogs which are utterly
cute even with their spines

bookie

Old September 21st 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:00:57 -0700, bookie
wrote:

any photos? i have never seen a possum, don't have them in this
country I don't think, but then we have hedgehogs which are utterly
cute even with their spines

There are 'possums in the New World and Australia, at least. They are
utterly non-cute. A wise cat will avoid a 'possum. Your favorite web
search engine will turn up pictures.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old September 21st 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

any photos? i have never seen a possum, don't have them in this
country I don't think, but then we have hedgehogs which are utterly
cute even with their spines

There are 'possums in the New World and Australia, at least. They are
utterly non-cute. A wise cat will avoid a 'possum. Your favorite web
search engine will turn up pictures.

Bud

I had a possum in my backyard several times, and I'm in New York City.
At first I was concerned for my cats, since it's a fenced in backyard
where I let the cats roam when I'm home. However, I researched it and
possums are not a problem at all. They don't carry rabies or other
diseases, and they eat the stuff that you really don't want in your
yard such as damaging insects and slugs.

They're actually beneficial and get along with cats just fine. It has
been in my yard at the same time as my cats and they just ignore each
other. The cats are curious but, perhaps because they're about the
same size, they leave each other alone.

They're far better at climbing than my cats. The cats can't get out
(or don't try very hard) but the possum seems to have no problem. I've
never seen how he/she does it, because it is night when it's around
mostly, but it must actually cling upside down to the fencing that
tilts in around the yard and somehow gets around it.

Some time last year I noticed Nipsy and Espy in the hall looking at
something on the floor. One of them had brought in what turned out to
be a baby oPossum. I took it outside and stuck it through the chain
link fence into the groundcover in the next yard. A little while later
Nipsy was running around the yard with another one in his mouth. That
also went through the fence. It seems mom had let loose the litter and
there were quite a few babies around.

They are marsupials and have live births but then the babies mature in
the mother's pouch like a kangaroo.

By the way, if an opposable thumb is a sign of tool using, note that
the opossum has opposable thumbs on its front and back feet. One of
the babies that I put through the fence clung to it with its back foot
before dropping into the ground cover. Very weird to see.

All in all, leave possums alone or even feed them. They have a tough
life and are essentially harmless. Now, raccoons are another story.
Old September 21st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

wrote:

any photos? i have never seen a possum, don't have them in this
country I don't think, but then we have hedgehogs which are utterly
cute even with their spines

There are 'possums in the New World and Australia, at least. They are
utterly non-cute. A wise cat will avoid a 'possum. Your favorite web
search engine will turn up pictures.

Bud
--

Gee, I didn't know opossums were so unpopular. I guess they aren't as
cute as some animals, but once we found a mom and a couple of her

Possums are harmless and actually beneficial because they keep rats
and other unwanted rodents away. When threatened they have no defense
but to show their big teeth and hiss, and if that doesn't work, they
play dead.

They come in our yard sometimes, usually at dusk. They don't bother
the cats and the cats don't bother them. Our neighbors used to worry
that the possums would bite their little dog, but when they called
Animal Control about having the possums removed, they were told to
leave them alone because their dog was a lot more likely to bite the
possums than they were to bother their dog.
-yngver

Old September 22nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Michael Lane

Last winter I ( in daylight ) was walking around in my garage & not
paying attention, noticed something big & black laying in chair, was a
big possum. I did not bother him & he would come & go the whole winter.
There are always one or two in my garage ( have hole in door for cats )
have to keep house door shut or possums would come in house & eat cat
food.

Old September 23rd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
Last winter I ( in daylight ) was walking around in my garage & not
paying attention, noticed something big & black laying in chair, was a
big possum.

A black possum? I would like to see that.

Old September 23rd 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Shea

I have these 2 raccons come ever night to my back yard they loved to eat food
so of course they were just soo cute I had to feed them =) they like to play
with the ball in the back yard it just halirous!!! =) but then after that
like a whole family of raccons came THE baby were soo cute (this was a while
later) so i feed them like everynight now!!! idk if it bad but like now all
diffrent animals come a whole bunch of raccons and skunks i think even a
possum the possum look a little like a skunk but the tail was "non fluffy"
also they now send like family member to come and take a piece of food and
Run i went back there once and there like a little path to our house lol it
just so funny but i think it bad....??