Cats act like they are starving

Old March 26th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cats act like they are starving

I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old. They
both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging for
food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2 oz.
can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals, morning
and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food several
times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights. But both
act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen, they both
run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just playing me or
am I really not feeding them enough?

Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted him
and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.
He weighs just under 10 lbs.

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Old March 27th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
[...]

First, I would suggest that you change to all canned food (premium) and
dispense with the dry. If you do continue with dry food, you should still
stick with two meals a day at approximately 12-hour intervals (either all
canned at one meal and all dry at another or divide each in half for each
meal). As it is, you are giving them small quantities throughout the day,
so they probably associate the kitchen with multiple feedings and expect
something each time. It will be much better for for cats' health, though,
if you use only premium canned.

Second, if your cats still seem hungry, you could mix a little water with
their canned food. That will add volume but not calories.

MaryL

Old March 27th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Perhaps they are looking for attention and not just food? Do you play
with them daily? Groom them daily? I think maybe you are mistaking
their actions for needing food when they need attention?

Old March 27th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

These cats get tons of attention. I don't think that is the issue.

oups.com...

Old March 27th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights.
But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen,
they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just
playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?
Thanks for any advice.
Sue

Maybe they don't need the calories, but they still don't FEEL full. IAMS,
Hills, etc premium foods come in some high fiber varieties. These are very
filling without adding weight to the cat.
Or, you can buy diet cat food and just feed them more.

But I think I'd try premium canned food first. More like their natural
diet, and has lots of needed moisture. Many cats on dry food don't drink
nearly enough water.

-- maryjane

Old March 27th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The canned food they get is a premium food....Wellness, Petguard. And I
have been feeding them premium dry food....Royal Canin, Science Diet...for
indoor cats. I did try to feed them an all canned food diet, but the little
one has a small problem with the canned food. It makes his breath really
stinky. So I began feeding them 50/50 canned and dry. His breath has been
much better.

wrote in message
. com...

Old March 27th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Could be a behavior pattern type thing. While you are giving them plenty of
attention they could also be bored. I think cats need much more interesting
toys than the ones in the stores. Other than interactive toys my cats
basically have abandoned their toys. I wish some creative person would
invent some really different toys for cats.

They do love a cat tree, especially parked near a wall unit or other high
furniture.

Any great inventors out there?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old March 27th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights.
But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen,
they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just
playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?

We have a female ADSH tortie who, at 10 lbs dripping wet, can polish off the
entire tenderloin side of a 32-oz Porterhouse steak in one sitting. It's
quite amazing, really.

Old March 27th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

blkcatgal wrote:
starving cats
Thanks for any advice.

why not consider leaving food out all the time
the food they like i mean

pussywizard (i happen to respect his opinions)

claims that animals and cats! are like their owners.

if you are rotund, i bet your cats become rotund, given all the food
they desire

no worry about them barfing, they'll get the hang of it...they'll learn
they won't have to scarf it down as it's not going anywhere.

just try it, i've had excellent success and both my cats one is very
young one is middle aged, have cute little figures...and they can eat
all they want..anytime..

it's a phsycology, It's human..i mean Cat nature to want what you can't
have.

I don't want a glass of milk until I am out of milk. I mean I crave it
worse THEN..

juss try it

Old March 28th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

blkcatgal wrote:

The canned food they get is a premium food....Wellness, Petguard. And I
have been feeding them premium dry food....Royal Canin, Science Diet...for
indoor cats. I did try to feed them an all canned food diet, but the little
one has a small problem with the canned food. It makes his breath really
stinky. So I began feeding them 50/50 canned and dry. His breath has been
much better.

I've never met a cat would good breath... I'd still give them the wet
food if that was the only problem.

Rhonda

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 December 19th 05 05:36 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM