new rescue litter

Old May 17th 04, 01:33 PM
Wendy

Default new rescue litter

Saturday our local rescue group called to ask us to bottle feed another
litter. The people who brought them in found them when they were mowing
their lawn. I guess they really wanted to mow that spot so they snagged the
kittens and brought them in. Here's hoping they can get mom and have her
neutered so she doesn't go doing this again.

At any rate I'm not really sure how old they are. Their eyes are open and
all blue. Their ears were still pointing forward Saturday but have stood up
more since then. They are old enough to easily determine sex. They are
starting to wander around and groom themselves and each other. They still
sleep most of the time. I'm guessing they are going on 3 weeks but maybe
someone here with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong. They appear
to be young but I'm a little surprised that they are getting around as well
as they are and that they are grooming themselves. The last litter I bottle
fed looked to be a little older when we found them but weren't as mobile nor
did they start grooming themselves until later. Maybe this litter's mom was
more experienced?

I have three of them nursing well on the bottle. The fourth I had to feed
with a syringe until she nursed a little last night. I guess she's going to
be my problem child. I had a reluctant feeder with the last litter too.

At any rate is there anything else I should look for to determine their age.
It would help so that I can try to keep them on track developmentally and
don't expect too much/little of them.

Thanks

Wendy

Old May 17th 04, 04:19 PM

well i took in 6 kittens..were a day old cause still had umbilical
cord....i know the ears opened about day after eyes....7-10 days the
three who lived opened thier eyes. mine all would walk at even a day
old...with heads just about hitting floor but all wouold e very
mobile...they cleaned anything around 2 1/2 weeks. but by 3 1/2 they
actually had cordinatin to clean a foot or whatever...before theyd try
but end up licking air. few things for you...kmr does have some sort of
program for frequent buyer(never found out till mine were 4 months old
and off milk...so worth looking into and also theres something called
ben-bac...benefical bacteria...i used it at 8 weeks cause never heard of
it before...but can use day they are born. good luck with your babies

Old May 19th 04, 07:33 PM
JoJo

They start getting teeth in somewhere around 3-4 weeks, so I would say they
are in that range. They also become more "aware" of their surroundings at 3
weeks (though it is dubious what they can actually see, I think shapes or
movement). You should start worming them now too.

Good luck and enjoy!

JoJo