MEOWING!

Old February 22nd 05, 01:11 AM
Kelly

Default MEOWING!

Hi everyone,

I got a new addition today. He was found outside my work by a fellow
employee. He's about 2 years old, male, total tomcat.... he wasn't
neutered. I immediately got him neutered and brought him home. I currently
have two other males cats both neutered... one 8 years, one 4 years. The
new cat is in the spare bedroom with all amenities.

Here's the problem, the new guy will not stop howling and meowing. He is
EXTREMELY needy and loving. He loves to be around people. When I go in he
is all over me, bumping me with his head and just staring at me because he
loves so much.

BUT.... when I leave, all hell breaks loose. He will not stop howling and
meowing. He hears us walking around the house, and the cats sitting right
at his door don't help. He just really wants to be around everyone, and is
also very curious about my cats (my cats aren't so enthusiastic).

I need to sleep tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can calm
his poor little heart????

Thanks so much,
Kelly

Old February 22nd 05, 01:14 AM
Kelly

PS - I can't let him out because my cats are not comfortable with him at
this stage and I don't want to rush things. Plus he stills smells like a
tomcat.

PPS - the 15 year old female cat I posted about earlier is actually my
brothers cat, for those wondering why I didn't mention her below.

. ..

Old February 22nd 05, 01:48 AM
Joe Canuck

Kelly wrote:

[...]

You will have to spend the night in his safe room with him.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:11 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Kelly wrote:

[...]

That's what I was thinking...

Cathy

Old February 22nd 05, 06:04 AM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:11:18 -0500, Kelly wrote:

[...]

Can you put a small radio in the room? A talk station might work if he
likes to be around people. MLB
Old February 22nd 05, 04:26 PM
Kelly

Well Oscar the meowing cat never did stop meowing and howling. I tried many
different things to get him to stop, including sleeping in the room with
him. Turns out what he is really meowing about is that he really wants to
see my other cats. Unfortunately, my cats aren't enthusiastic about this
idea. Oscar did not stop meowing the whole night.... from 5pm to 7am this
morning he never slept (and this is a cat that just had surgery
yesterday!!). I had one, maybe two hours of sleep. Needless to say I had
to call in sick today.

The whole plan with Oscar was to have him live here for 2 weeks, and then my
fiancee and I get our new house March 11 and we were going to move in and
slowly work on the new place and Oscar would come with us and live there
(along with the 4 year old neutered male). Well with the way Oscar is
howling, I'm afraid to report that I took him this morning to be boarded at
the local vet clinic until we gain access to the new house on March 11. I
cannot be kept up like this. I feel that the solution would be to give him
free run of the house, but this is not possible because I'm my cats will
freak and get their noses out of joint. This is not fair to them. I even
tried putting him in our basement, and his howls could still be heard all
over the house. I kept thinking "Okay, he has to stop soon because he has
to sleep". Nope...

This cat was so exhausted that he slept the whole car ride to the vet
hospital this morning. Poor thing. Fortunately, he is familiar with this
vet hospital because this is where he was quarentined for "claim" for a week
before I took him (I wanted to make sure he wasn't someone elses cat). He
gets a very big cage there and all the staff love him and we can go visit
whenever we like. I'm hoping these next couple weeks go quickly, because
boy did I feel guilty bringing him back there.

I talked to the vet and she said his howling could certainly be due to the
fact that he's still technically a Tomcat. It takes a while for all those
hormones to wear off. She assured me he would settle in just fine in the
new house.

sigh

Kelly

Old February 22nd 05, 04:33 PM
Kelly

Oh and at the new place I will move Oscar in first, get him settled with NO
other cats around.... hope that his hormones have calmed, and then move
Harley (other boy) in. Both of these cats are good with other cats, and
both were very curious about each other. But Oscar just doesn't know how to
respect personal space (he would keep getting too close to Harley and Harley
would puff up and meow really loud). So certainly a slow introduction
should be no problem with these two. It's just hard because so many new
things will be happening at once and they will both be stressed (especially
Harley with a brand new house and all).

Kelly

. ..

Old February 22nd 05, 05:23 PM
Mary

"Kelly" wrote:

Well with the way Oscar is
howling, I'm afraid to report that I took him this morning to be boarded

at
the local vet clinic until we gain access to the new house on March 11. I
cannot be kept up like this.

What a great temporary solution. Kudos to you.

Old February 22nd 05, 05:44 PM
Kelly

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1109092907.d766de7b2a55b96328df22d2901c560c@t eranews...

"Kelly" wrote:

Well with the way Oscar is
howling, I'm afraid to report that I took him this morning to be boarded

at
the local vet clinic until we gain access to the new house on March 11.
cannot be kept up like this.

What a great temporary solution. Kudos to you.

It didnt' feel like a great solution, I feel so guilty! In the car he made
me cry because he looked up at me with those cute eyes, made a little meow
while looking straight at me... then put his head down and fell asleep. Poor
Oscar!! If only he could have eventually ceased meowing... I am still
amazed and cannot believe he kept it up for over 12 hours straight. Man!

Kelly