favorite purebred cat

Old September 11th 04, 03:43 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Steve G" wrote in message
Come to think of it, you never seem to actually talk
about cats or offer any useful advice. Do you even
have any cats?

Steve once said "You may assume what you like. I shall make no statements
one way or the other regarding my cats. It's much more amusing to watch
people project ..."

But I do think he mentioned having more than one cat in another thread, at
least one being a breeder cat and one being a stray.

I enjoy the arguments, but my gut tells me Steve is a pro-breeder guy who
actually does let his cats out in a busy urban area. I would mind but I feel
sure that Steve will go directly to hell upon issuing his last breath. If
there is a hell. And if there isn't, as one man once said, there damned well
ought to be.

Old September 11th 04, 11:08 PM
Steve G

"Phil P." wrote in message ...
"Steve G" wrote in message
om...

(...)

Sure, Steve whatever you say. You ought to know... LOL!

You know, for a while I was worried that we'd get several responses
from you but no LOLs at all. All's well now.

(...)

Note that they do not say 'cat breeders must stop controlled breeding
in order to reduce FIP risk'.

Yeah, I know. They said "cat breeders **might** achieve success in
reducing FIP risk by selecting cats from less susceptible lineages".
*Might* doesn't sound very reassuring,

Shrug. That's the way science is written - if it ain't been fully
tested, then 'might' it is.

and "susceptible lineages" seems to mean, well, entire lineages
are susceptible - ah yes, "line breeding". Imagine that - entire lineages
being susceptible to FIP!

Yes, that is basically what they are saying (although not for all
breeds necessarily).

(...)

From your Winn reference: "The likely defect in immunity to FIP is in
cell-mediated immunity. Therefore cats that are susceptible to FIP are also
likely susceptible to some other infections as well, especially fungal and
viral infections. "
Wow! Imagine that, entire lineages have defects in CMI that makes them
susceptible to all kinds of diseases! Entire lineages...

The quote continues:

"Therefore cats that are susceptible to FIP are also likely
susceptible to some other infections as well, especially fungal and
viral infections. **This finding gives breeders the ability to achieve
success in reducing the risk of FIP by using pedigree analysis to
select breeding cats from family backgrounds that have strong
resistance to FIP and other infectious diseases.**"

Emphasis added.

Almost every vet I've worked
with or even knew in the last 40 years, including my vet whose a
double-boarded, retired veterinary professor, were of the opinion that
generally purebred cats are more susceptible to disease.

I do not disagree that some lines (or even breeds) are more
susceptible to disease, what I'm saying is: i) not all lines (or
breeds) are susceptible, and ii) susceptibility is not an effect of
breeding per se (or even inbreeding per se); it is an effect of poor
breeding practices (re. the Winn URL).

These are vets who
work with just about all the breeds of cats on a day to day basis for
decades.

Parenthetically, many vets own purebred cats. Make of that what you
will.

(...)

I really don't have the time (or desire) to engage in one of your
philosophical debates (that's really all you seem to do here).

Well, no-one's coercing you, and I'm not about to wander up to your
neck of the woods, stand over you and **** you upside the face with a
herring until you reply. The wonders of usenet - you're free to STFU
when you like, as am I.

Come to
think of it, you never seem to actually talk about cats or offer any useful
advice. Do you even have any cats?

What are these 'cats' of which you speak? Is this not
rec.pets.duckbilledplatypus?

Oops, your 10 minutes are up. Time flies when you're having fun.

'bye then. It's been special, like special needs education.

Steve.

Old September 11th 04, 11:17 PM
Steve G

"Mary" wrote in message m...
(...)

Steve once said "You may assume what you like. I shall make no statements
one way or the other regarding my cats. It's much more amusing to watch
people project ..."

I did. That was in the context of whether I allow my cats to go
outdoors or not.

But I do think he mentioned having more than one cat in another thread, at
least one being a breeder cat and one being a stray.

She rememebered! I feel all emotional.

I enjoy the arguments, but my gut tells me Steve is a pro-breeder guy who
actually does let his cats out in a busy urban area.

Well, the former is (obvously) true to some extent but I'm certainly
not universally pro-breeder, and there are several breeds I do not
believe should exist. I also think that breeding should be much more
tightly controlled than it is, and that Joe Public should not be able
to set up a breeding concern basically on a whim. FWIW (piece of
chewing gum and a bit o'string, probably).

I would mind but I feel
sure that Steve will go directly to hell upon issuing his last breath.

I'll be sure to carry around a bag of marshmallows in my dotage, so
that when the inevitable happens, I'll have something nice to toast.

Anyway, thanks once again for your kind thoughts.

Steve.

Old September 12th 04, 12:39 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message

m...
(...)

[...]

Well now, Steve, if you let your kitties roam in a busy urban
area, you deserve these thoughts. Relax, the last I heard
the verdict is still out on Heaven and Hell actually existing.

Old September 12th 04, 02:30 AM
Cat Protector

I think cats that come from shelters are the best! All three of mine were
rescues. Isis is a Bombay, Jade is a Diluted Tabby, and Icarus is a Japanese
Bobtail.

"Bolo" wrote in message
I was just wondering what everybodies favorite purebred is.I have a male
ragdoll (Max) and a female maine coon (Xena) and I think they are the best
cats in the world but I would like to hear about other purebreds.

---