My mom's apartment is really bad for the cat...need some help.

Old January 12th 04, 09:07 PM
Bluesman

Default My mom's apartment is really bad for the cat...need some help.

Greetings,

So my mom is partially disabled and has had my cat for the past 8
years for company. I still clip the cat and brush her every week or
so, and she is healty for being 14 years old, but the problem I think
is the smoke.

Mom smokes a pack a day, all in a small 1 bedroom apartment. The poor
cat's fur stinks so she won't groom herself, and I don't blame her.
At times it has gotten as bad as the fur being matted. I hate smoke
myself, and can barely stand the place for an hour, I can't imagine
being inthat 24/7.

Taking the cat away is not an option, but I know it really is the only
way to get the cat healthy. When mom was in the hospital for a month
last year the cat was with me, and after a couple of weeks was healthy
and full of life again...these days she is like her owner, lying
around 1/2 dead.

What can I do to help this cat live a few more years in these
conditions? Opening all the windows in a Northeast winter is out,
having her smoke somewhere else is out becuase of the diability, she's
tried to quit many times, (and I told her she is killing the cat, but
she just can't stop) and taking the cat is out becuase mom would go
right over the edge without her best friend. I tried an air purifier,
it was soon overcome by the smoke.

Any thoughts to help? Is there a super smokeless ashtray? A gismo
that provides fresh air in a small area the cat can run to?

Bluesman
Old January 12th 04, 10:52 PM

What can I do to help this cat live a few
more years in these conditions?

*Please* get this poor, suffering cat out of the house ASAP. Her risk of
getting lymphoma as a result of second hand smoke is very high, and
nothing justifies risking a cat's life. If your mother is intent on
killing herself by way of cigarettes, there's not much you can do about
it, but under no circumstances should you allow her to take the cat with
her. Maybe losing the cat will be the incentive she needs to stop
smoking, but in the meantime, forcing the cat to inhale secondhand smoke
and live with her fur coated with the stuff is nothing short of animal
cruelty.

Megan.

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 12th 04, 11:02 PM
Mary

"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

So my mom is partially disabled and has had my cat for the past 8
years for company. I still clip the cat and brush her every week or
so, and she is healty for being 14 years old, but the problem I

think
is the smoke.

Big hepa filters for every room. Expensive, but they do help. Just one
near the place where your mother sits and smokes will keep her place
from stinking so bad. Why isn't she opening a window or using filters
now?

Incidentally, I really doubt that the cat will not groom herself
because her fur smells like smoke. Too many smokers own cats that
groom themselves just fine. There may be another reason the cat is not
grooming herself. Is it time for a vet visit? For a few dollars the
vet could rule out any health problems the cat has now and make some
suggestions to you regarding the smoke.

Old January 12th 04, 11:12 PM
Sherry

Mom smokes a pack a day, all in a small 1 bedroom apartment. The poor
cat's fur stinks so she won't groom herself, and I don't blame her.
At times it has gotten as bad as the fur being matted. I hate smoke
myself, and can barely stand the place for an hour, I can't imagine
being inthat 24/7.

I think the cat should be removed from the apartment. Barring that, *someone*
needs to get some major-sized, multiple HEPA filters and run them. Maybe if she
only smoked near the giant HEPA it would help some. Poor kitty.

Sherry

Old January 13th 04, 12:46 AM
Cat Protector

How about getting your mother to kick the habit? Not only is it good for the
cat who doesn't have to breathe second hand smoke but it also will help your
mother as well live a longer life. If your mom refuses to quit then I'd take
the cat from her and keep her with you.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com