My mom's apartment is really bad for the cat...need some help.

Old January 13th 04, 02:22 PM
Luvskats00

If you were on 13 different medications, were unable
to walk more than 20 feet without blinding pain, and were homebound
24/7 in a small apt, and you were addicted to smoking, and your cat
was your best friend, there is no way the cat can go.

There can be a compromise between keeping the cat (to keep your mom sane &
happy) and keeping the cat (sane, happy & HEALTHY). No one needs a degree in
psychology to figure out that there must be something mentally or physically
affecting the cat at your mother's place ('cause the cat doesn't groom
him/herself), but the cat does groom him/herself at your place. If your mother
insists on smoking, she should do so - away from the cat.
Old January 13th 04, 02:34 PM

Mary wrote:
I'm with you 100% here.

Of course you are because to you the cat is nothing but a sacrificial
animal. I imagine you also condone allowing people to smoke in nurseries
because you wouldn't want their little feelings to get hurt. If you
don't you're a hypocrite of the first order.

Cats and babies both have very small lungs that are affected the same by
smoke. It has to be even worse for the cat considering that its sense of
smell is much more highly developed and it also is forced to deal with
the foul odor of cigarettes, not to mention it has to lick and ingest
the residue (the same nasty yellow stuff you see coating the walls of a
smoker's home) off of its coat.

There is NO excuse good enough to justify putting this cat's health and
comfort at risk.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 13th 04, 02:43 PM
kaeli

In article , hotblues20
@netscape.net enlightened us with...

Mom smokes a pack a day, all in a small 1 bedroom apartment. The poor
cat's fur stinks so she won't groom herself, and I don't blame her.
At times it has gotten as bad as the fur being matted. I hate smoke
myself, and can barely stand the place for an hour, I can't imagine
being inthat 24/7.

Well, my cats were fine for the many years I had a pack and a half a day
habit in a one bedroom condo.
So, I don't know if it's really the smoke...could be, hey, anything's
possible.
I just quit. I'm dying for one every effing day, but I quit. I'm also a
bit grouchy. *LOL*

last year the cat was with me, and after a couple of weeks was healthy
and full of life again...these days she is like her owner, lying
around 1/2 dead.

Perhaps the cat is allergic. I know some people are.
Or, the environment, in total, is depressing. Cats are sensitive beings.
She may be reacting to more than just smoke.

What can I do to help this cat live a few more years in these
conditions? Opening all the windows in a Northeast winter is out,

I cracked mine every day, no matter what the temp outside (live in
chicago). I have a heater, blankets, and a heating pad.
It doesn't have to be more than cracked - anything to get fresh air in.
Both for your Mom's sake and the cat's.

having her smoke somewhere else is out becuase of the diability, she's
tried to quit many times, (and I told her she is killing the cat, but
she just can't stop)

I don't think non-smokers will ever know how difficult stopping is. It's
a drug. An addiction. You don't want to stop. I stopped because I can't
BREATHE. It scared me very badly. If I had a choice, I would never stop.
I still want one. Every minute of every day. Some people simply can't
handle that.
And yes, I am still on the patch. It is both a physical and mental
addiction.

Any thoughts to help? Is there a super smokeless ashtray? A gismo
that provides fresh air in a small area the cat can run to?

You know, having smoked for a very long time, I have never had problems
where the smoke was overwhelming. Either she smokes more than a pack a
day or the apartment has no ventilation at all, which is bad for
anything living there.

Open the window, even if just a crack. Get a little portable heater or a
heating pad if you have to, but air needs to circulate. Not just smoke,
but all manner of chemicals and crap in the air needs to get out.

Get hepa filters and/or ion filters for the room(s). Make sure someone
is vacuuming twice a week and changing the filters in the vacuum
regularly.

I would also consider what the rest of the cat's life is like there.
What kind of attention she gets as opposed to at your house. Does she
have enough interaction? Does she get the right nutrition? Etc.
Basically, what is different?

In the meantime (while the environment is looked at and made better),
I'd take the cat to the groomer's weekly for a bath (or bathe her
myself).

~kaeli~
The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to
Finland. Now Santa Claus is missing.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old January 13th 04, 04:49 PM
Alison

Hi,
You could get your mum more purifiers, one in each room maybe or ask
her to keep a room smoke free. I read in a cat magazine that cats can
get cancer when their owners smoke. Your mum needs to make more effort
for the cat too.
Alison

"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

So my mom is partially disabled and has had my cat for the past 8
years for company. I still clip the cat and brush her every week or
so, and she is healty for being 14 years old, but the problem I

think
is the smoke.

Mom smokes a pack a day, all in a small 1 bedroom apartment. The

poor
cat's fur stinks so she won't groom herself, and I don't blame her.
At times it has gotten as bad as the fur being matted. I hate smoke
myself, and can barely stand the place for an hour, I can't imagine
being inthat 24/7.

Taking the cat away is not an option, but I know it really is the

only
way to get the cat healthy. When mom was in the hospital for a

month
last year the cat was with me, and after a couple of weeks was

healthy
and full of life again...these days she is like her owner, lying
around 1/2 dead.

What can I do to help this cat live a few more years in these
conditions? Opening all the windows in a Northeast winter is out,
having her smoke somewhere else is out becuase of the diability,

she's
tried to quit many times, (and I told her she is killing the cat,

but
she just can't stop) and taking the cat is out becuase mom would go
right over the edge without her best friend. I tried an air

purifier,
it was soon overcome by the smoke.

Any thoughts to help? Is there a super smokeless ashtray? A gismo
that provides fresh air in a small area the cat can run to?

Bluesman

Old January 13th 04, 05:00 PM
Cat Protector

My sister smokes and I have come to believe that you either kick the habit
or you don't. There is no try. I think you need to get the cat out of this
situation and keep her at your place. Not to sound cruel but I think this
pain thing sounds like nothing but a crutch and excuse for your mother to
keep smoking. You need to tell your mother how serious the situation is and
make come to realize that only is she killing herself but her cat as well.
Your mother may shrug it off (most smokers do this because they have become
addicted) but you need to keep pressing. I'd also let your mother know that
not only is she saving her own life but every other life within range of her
habit. She is also saving money as well.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...

Have tried this...doctor appointments, patches, nicotine gum...it is
not happening. If you were on 13 different medications, were unable
to walk more than 20 feet without blinding pain, and were homebound
24/7 in a small apt, and you were addicted to smoking, and your cat
was your best friend, there is no way the cat can go.

The Hepa filters are a god suggestion, but forget about taking the cat
- if she didn't care one way or the other, the cat would have been
with me years ago - but the way it is now, the cat stays...

Old January 13th 04, 05:02 PM
Cat Protector

The reason it is not happening is because you seem to want to make excuses
for your mom. The cat needs to be removed from this situation and given a
nice, healthy and loving environment.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...

Not happening.

Her risk of
getting lymphoma as a result of second hand smoke is very high, and
nothing justifies risking a cat's life.

Bull****. She is keeping my mothing from going nuts, truly. I am
asking the question here to help the cat, but if you think I would
take away one of my mom's few sources of happiness AND tell her that
it is her fault that I am taking her away, you are out of your mind.

If your mother is intent on
killing herself by way of cigarettes, there's not much you can do about
it, but under no circumstances should you allow her to take the cat with
her. Maybe losing the cat will be the incentive she needs to stop
smoking, but in the meantime, forcing the cat to inhale secondhand smoke
and live with her fur coated with the stuff is nothing short of animal
cruelty.

Then go call the cops.