An idea for a mass purr day

Old September 7th 04, 08:44 AM
Yowie

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:10:09 +0000, Tanada wrote:

Cheryl wrote:

I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was in favor of consolidated
purrs but I am. I guess I'm just feeling left out when some of my
stories don't even rate responses other than one or two. I thought
that might be due to traffic, and if not, I feel bad now. Oh well.

I wouldn't worry about it Cheryl. I've gotten used to having few
replies, or none, to my stories. Occasionally, I'll get an email saying
how much a story meant to someone and that makes it all worthwhile.

Just so you know: You both have great postings. Sometimes there just
isn't enough time to answer, even though we take time to read. Keep them
up MLB

Every so often a talented writer starts to ask "whats wrong, I haven't got
many responses from my recent stories?"

Firstly, let me reassure one and all that it happens to everyone. This group
gets about 200+ posts a day. To read and respond to all would be a full-time
task, and most readers simply don't have the time. Secondly, while we enjoy
reading the stories sometimes there often isn't anything in the story that
warrants a reply. That doesn't mean it hasn't been read or appreciated
though.

And thirdly, and probably most importantly, why are you posting your
stories? While there are numerous reasons why people don't respond (two of
which are outlined above, propogation of the newsgroup being another), its
importnat to remember why you are doing this in the first place. If its an
excercise in attention seeking, or for an ego boost etc etc, eventually
you'll be horridly dissapointed. I can't speak for other people's
motivation, but when I write my own stories, I'm writing them because I
enjoy writing stories, nothingmore. And I post them, not for the "glory and
adulation" (although that part is great, i won't deny it), but as a gift,
with no strings attached. If I cheer up one person, or to get em tothink or
whatever, my job is done. If they care to tell me about their reaction to my
story, *wonderful*, but if not, thats OK. My reward was the pleasure in
writing it, and people's responses, if any, are simply gravy.

I no longer need the a bunch of replies to know that I am part of this
wonderful community, or that people care about me. Cheryl (and others),
please don't think a lack of responses is because we no longer want you here
or are ignoring you, its just the ebb and flow of Usenet traffic. You would
be very much missed if you stopped posting, so please don't.

Yowie

---

Old September 7th 04, 08:50 AM
Yowie

"Dan M" wrote in message ...
Lately it seems like a lot of us have posted important purr requests -
job and financial needs, missing kitties, health issues, etc. In fact,
it seems to me that a whole bunch of us are going through some majorly
troubling times now - more so than in the memorable past.

It seems to me that it might be a worthwhile experiment to select a date
and time (perhaps the next full moon?) when everyone who is so inclined
could, at the same time, do their thing towards addressing the purr
requests. Prayer, casting a circle, meditating, visualizing - whatever
each individual does - done as a simultaneous group activity might be a
very effective tool.

I would be willing to coordinate gathering the purr requests of those
who have issues to be purred over.

What do you all think? I realize it could be very difficult to find one
time that would work for all, since we're spread all over the earth.
Perhaps two or three distinct times, to allow participants from all over?

I'd like to hear your evaluations of the idea.

Catslaves has a "Prayer & Purrs" on the last Saturday(USA)/Sunday(AUS) of
every month:

"Purrs, prayers, mediations, candle lighting and any other
"positive vibe" you wish to send out to those who need comfort,
reassurance, and miracles."

I'd hoped to get the timing such that the most people could join in as
possible, so I made it start at 9:30am Sunday Australian Eastern Standard
Time (thats +10 GMT) so in the USA it would be Saturday evening.

You folks are welcome to join in on that one, and I'm all for joining in ony
any that someone else wishes to organise.

Yowie

---

Old September 7th 04, 02:52 PM
CatNipped

--
Cheryl

Well, for me replying is more related to the time I have on my hands at the
moment I'm reading posts. Sometimes I have a very slow day at work and can
comment on every post I read. Other days I'm so swamped that I can barely
squeeze in the time to read posts and even if I read a really excellent
story, I don't post a reply - not because I didn't enjoy it immensely, but
because I simply didn't have the time resources to be appreciative in a
response. I really love all the stories I read here and would miss anyone
who quit posting.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 7th 04, 04:48 PM
Dan M

Catslaves has a "Prayer & Purrs" on the last Saturday(USA)/Sunday(AUS) of
every month:

"Purrs, prayers, mediations, candle lighting and any other
"positive vibe" you wish to send out to those who need comfort,
reassurance, and miracles."

I'd hoped to get the timing such that the most people could join in as
possible, so I made it start at 9:30am Sunday Australian Eastern Standard
Time (thats +10 GMT) so in the USA it would be Saturday evening.

You folks are welcome to join in on that one, and I'm all for joining in ony
any that someone else wishes to organise.

Yowie

You know, I had forgotten all about that one! I haven't been checking my
e-mail as oftenas I should since I've been on the road.

I think it'd be a good idea to join in on the Catslaves one - get more
people working on the project. I'll see what time/date - I believe it
would be Saturday the 25th/Sunday the 26th. I'll still see if I can
build a summary list of the folks and needs that need purrs, so we can
all work off the same list.

And if a few people are game, hows about we try a smaller experiment for
the more pressing purr requests, maybe this Saturday/Sunday? Evening
Saturday for us USAians and Sunday AM for the OZians and New Zealanders.

I'll try to build up a list of the most pressing purr requests I've seen
on the newsgroup and will post it here in a day or so. If anyone has any
additional purr requests they'd like added, please let me know via the
group or via e-mail (dan at wolf dot com).

I think this could be cool!

Dan

Old September 7th 04, 05:27 PM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...

[...]

This is true. However, as a motivational tool, praise for a wanted behavior
is the best way to have that behavior continue. ; I like reading the
stories, I want to continue to have stories to read, ergo I need to show my
appreciation for the stories I do read. But, you're right, I write stories
for sort of the same reason I fart - it just has to come out!! LOL

One other comment. I tend to be overly sensitive (read egotistical - the
whole world revolves around ME! ;), and when someone doesn't respond to my
post - especially when someone quits responding to all my posts - I start to
worry that I have offended them in some way. I would *die* if I gave
offense to anyone here, you guys are just so great, so kind, so caring - it
would be like kicking a kitten to hurt one of you in any way. So, even a
"LOL" or "Me too" post helps let me know that you're OK with what I've
written here.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 7th 04, 05:27 PM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...

[...]

It's Back TW, Purr Request badwilson Cat anecdotes 44 August 13th 04 10:34 PM
Job Purr Request Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 54 July 1st 04 05:09 PM
Purr Chain Stacey Cat anecdotes 28 November 25th 03 12:26 AM
Purr Pad Kris Dockter Cat anecdotes 3 September 22nd 03 02:18 PM