Visitor!

Old October 23rd 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Visitor!

I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot. The other night around
midnight, I was just settling down to watch a little TV before going
to bed, when I heard a very familiar *bap* on the bottom of my screen
door. I ran to the door, opened it, and there stood Smudge, as though
it hadn't been months since she last did this. So I opened the door,
and she strode in as though she did this every night. I went back to
the couch and sat down, she came over to the nearest scratching post
and had herself a scratch, and then she jumped up and made herself
comfortable on my side. Just as though it hadn't been months...

She stayed there for at least 30 minutes, purring softly. Occasionally
she stood up to turn around and knead for a minute before settling back
down. Nobody else, by which I mean mostly Licky, bothered her. Roxy
looked like she really wanted Smudge's spot on my side (it's a little
chilly in the apartment, but not enough to turn on the heat, so I'm the
warmest thing in the house as far as she's concerned). She started to
walk over to us, and I knew what she was up to. When Roxy wants a spot
that someone else is curled up in, she'll just go right up to them and
bap them on the head. They hiss or growl, and then leave, so she gets her
spot. But I didn't want her knocking Smudge off, so I repeated several
times, in a sing-songy voice, "Noooo, Roxy, no! Uh-uh-uh-uh, Roooooxy,
no!" etc. Smudge knew I wasn't talking to her. Roxy got the message, lay
down where she was, and glowered at us.

Eventually, though, I was bothered by the many deep mats in Smudge's
fur. I've already been working on some of them - I bring a pair of
scissors outside with me when I feed her, so I can try to clip one or
two off while she's eating. But here she was, dozing on my side. So I
got out the scissors (which were within reach) and started clipping.
She let me get away with this for a while, but then started getting
annoyed. I did manage to remove 2 or 3 bad ones, but there are still
several more embedded in her flanks and rear end. It's going to take
a while.

Once she got annoyed, she jumped down - and then all of a sudden, it
was like she was noticing for the first time that I have two other
cats, and she started growling and hissing at them. She ran to the
door, growling the whole way, so I got up and let her back out.

Joyce

--
audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old October 23rd 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I'm so glad she showed up and was so affectionate. I hope she lets you get
rid of the other mats soon.

--

Joy

There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the
bite out of being alone. - Louis J. Camuti

Old October 23rd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
[...]

Are you now worried about how her new people are looking after her?
I wish she would come back home to you. Maybe she will, let's hope so.

Tweed

Old October 23rd 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

I heard a very familiar *bap* on the bottom of my screen
door. I ran to the door, opened it, and there stood Smudge, as though
it hadn't been months since she last did this. [snip]

Are you now worried about how her new people are looking after her?
I wish she would come back home to you. Maybe she will, let's hope so.

She doesn't have any "new people" per se. There are several people in
the neighborhood who sort of look after her, which mostly means putting
down dry food for her.

I did approach a neighbor who likes her a lot, and in whose yard she
often sleeps. I know he doesn't have any other cats and I thought she
might enjoy being in his house. Mostly I'm worried about the upcoming
winter. It doesn't get frigid like it does in Mooch's territory, but
it's still raw and wet, not nice weather for kitties. I asked him if
he might consider adopting Smudge. I also said that if he didn't want
to take full responsibility for her, that if he just wanted to let her
sleep in his house at night during the winter, that would work for me,
too. He said he would think about it, and he seemed genuinely
interested.

Of course it would break my heart to actually give her up for adoption,
but maybe it won't come to that. And after the other night, I'm
thinking that maybe she'll bite the bullet and come into my place
on rainy, chilly nights.

Joyce

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old October 23rd 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I would be tempted to get her back and keep her in for six months

Old October 23rd 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

Of course it would break my heart to actually give her up for adoption,
but maybe it won't come to that. And after the other night, I'm
thinking that maybe she'll bite the bullet and come into my place
on rainy, chilly nights.

I would be tempted to get her back and keep her in for six months

That's something I've been considering, too. I think it would be misery
for Smudge, Roxy, Licky, me, and any neighbor within earshot. But maybe
worth it, I don't know.

When she was younger, I kept her indoors for a few years (before I had
the idea to put her on a leash and tie it to the stairwell railing). She
*never* stopped trying to get out. Every time I opened the door or even
went near it, she tried to race through it. When I was home, she would
stand at the door and howl to be let out. And this was *before* she ever
tasted the joy of being a free-to-roam, bona fide indoor/outdoor cat. I
sense that she would find it intolerable to be trapped indoors now, and
would become very depressed and hostile. That doesn't mean it's out of the
question, but I don't have a good feeling about it. I think it would be
better for her (and me, my other cats, etc) if she slept inside someone
else's house when it's raining and/or cold.

Joyce

--
I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old October 23rd 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I cannot believe that you would tie a cat to a rail or anything else.
That would be one quick way to strangle a cat. Please say this wasn't
so. MLB
Old October 23rd 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

Of course it would break my heart to actually give her up for adoption,
but maybe it won't come to that. And after the other night, I'm
thinking that maybe she'll bite the bullet and come into my place
on rainy, chilly nights.

I would be tempted to get her back and keep her in for six months

That's something I've been considering, too. I think it would be misery
for Smudge, Roxy, Licky, me, and any neighbor within earshot. But maybe
worth it, I don't know.

I guess they choose to live where they want to. Both mine did. KFC hated
her home and waited years to come here. Boyfie was a lost soul and ended up
here without my permission. He was up for the cat's home, but I got to like
him.

Old October 23rd 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

wrote:

I cannot believe that you would tie a cat to a rail or anything else.
That would be one quick way to strangle a cat. Please say this wasn't
so. MLB

I did do this for several years. But I didn't attach the leash to her
collar. She wore a harness and the leash was attached to her back.

What made me stop doing that wasn't a fear of strangulation, but the
fact that she was attacked by dogs one evening and was unable to run
away. That's when I realized that, in trying to keep her safe from traffic,
I made her a sitting duck for dogs, mean kids, or anyone who came after
her. So after that, she was allowed to go in and out freely.

I live in an apartment, so building an enclosure isn't an option. I
don't even have a deck where I could set something up like Marina has
done. There's a narrow balcony in front of my apartment, but I can't
block it with a cat enclosure because my neighbors need to walk through
that area to get to the stairs.

I've lived in my apartment for 10 years, so I've thought of it all!

My neighborhood has several indoor/outdoor cats, who I've seen around
for many years. It's not 100% safe, but very few things in life are. If
I kept her indoors, she might well live longer - or, as the saying goes,
"it would just feel that way."

Joyce

--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

Our new visitor Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 April 13th 09 01:49 PM
A visitor Adrian A Cat anecdotes 4 November 9th 07 11:44 PM
Visitor wafflycat Cat anecdotes 13 February 12th 06 09:43 AM
Visitor cat Adrian Cat anecdotes 8 December 29th 05 11:09 AM
I have a visitor wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 34 August 12th 03 09:41 PM