litter containment

Old September 29th 03, 07:36 PM
k conover

Default litter containment

Okay, I'm hoping some of you creative cat owners have come up with a
solution to the inevitable litter trail that seems to surround any litter
box. I have a large Booda brand covered litter box, outside of which I've
put two large carpet samples and one of those rubber litter catching pads.
There is still litter all over the floor every day! It was okay when I
had the litter box in the garage, but now it's got to either be in my second
bathroom (which I will probably have to move because as you're sitting on
the toilet you have to directly face the litter box--ugh!) or in my office,
which has wood floors. Is there any way to contain the litter effectively
that is not going to look awful!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Kirsten

Old September 30th 03, 03:21 AM
Betsy

I don't think so.

My solution has been to get a large rubbermaid tub for a litter pan, AND to
run the Roomba (a robotic vacuum) in the room every day.

Old September 30th 03, 09:55 PM
Joe Canuck

k conover wrote:
Okay, I'm hoping some of you creative cat owners have come up with a
solution to the inevitable litter trail that seems to surround any litter
box. I have a large Booda brand covered litter box, outside of which I've
put two large carpet samples and one of those rubber litter catching pads.
There is still litter all over the floor every day! It was okay when I
had the litter box in the garage, but now it's got to either be in my second
bathroom (which I will probably have to move because as you're sitting on
the toilet you have to directly face the litter box--ugh!) or in my office,

Kitty probably says the same thing: "Ugh, why did my humans place my box
here... I have to look at that stinky toilet!".

which has wood floors. Is there any way to contain the litter effectively
that is not going to look awful!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Kirsten

My solution has been to accept what I cannot control and just vacuum the
stuff up frequently.

Possible solutions:

Double sided tape mounted on cardboard just outside litter box. Kitty
will have to step on this on the way out. Problems: Needs to be renewed
every so often and kitty may not like having paws sticking to the floor.
May not be too pretty, but could use coloured tape to make it blend in
with the surrounding floor... if possible.

Container within a container. Litter container placed inside a much
larger container. The theory behind this is that kitty will have to step
through the larger contain to get to the litter box thus leaving
hopefully most of the litter dragged out of the litter box in the larger
container. Does this make sense? ;-) Problems: If enough litter gets
depositing in the larger container, kitty may start using it as the
litter box. Will consume a lot of space and not look pretty.

Change the litter. This is a biggie and fraught with potential problems.
How about those crystals which claim to be non-tracking. Problems: Too
numerous to mention here.

A divided covered litter box. This one requires some explaining but goes
along with the container within a container principle. Divide a covered
litter box in two with the litter portion of it at the rear from the
door. Another contain at the front near the door contains no litter.
With the hood on the litter box, kitty must go through the empty part
first in order to reach the portion with the litter. Problems: Most of
the problems that apply to the container within a container also apply here.

This may be one of those problems like the common cold... so simple yet
there is no elegant simple solution other than to clean up the litter
one the floor and place the box in a location where it won't create too
much of a problem... either for you or kitty.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old October 4th 03, 06:42 PM
Hank

I recently made a contraption out of cardboard boxes that seems to work
pretty well.

The concept is to have a large enough box to fit the litter box in and high
enough for standing/squatting room. I keep the box covered to keep him from
jumping out. I then cut a door in the side and forced him to walk zig-zag
like thru 3 other narrow but somewhat long boxes (about 2 1/2 feet long by
10" wide). These boxes are placed side by side longways and have carpet cut
to fit in them to catch the litter as he walks thru. I, of course, made
doors in these boxes so he could get around, and put light holes in. I put
another piece of carpet outside the entry door for good measure. So
basically, I force my cat to walk over about 8-10 feet of carpet before he
re-enters the human living areas.

This has proven to be pretty effective. Of course, I'll have to shake out
the carpet pieces periodically, but I think it will beat the alternative. I
got real tired of sweeping up every day and inevitably stepping on those
granules with my bare feet.