Declawing A Cat

Old November 25th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Declawing A Cat

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I know this is a topic that keeps popping up over and over again but it

just
goes to you that even during the holidays people still think about

declawing
their cats. Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I was shocked to learn that a
couple of guests (they are a married couple) who I had known for years
actually have their cats declawed because they don't like their furniture
being scratched up. When I started on the don't declaw cat side, one of

them
said they didn't want to get into this discussion.
I have discovered that those who have no problem with declawing a cat

never
want to discuss it.
I pretty much had to hold it in so Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be ruined
for everyone but I am amazed how people you think you know, you really

don't
know. It seems that those who declaw cats really don't want to know about
the facts that state declawing is wrong and how it hurts the cat.

This seems to be why we have such wars on here about declawing. I would
never declaw a cat because furniture can be replaced and if you take

simple
steps like teaching them to use a scratching post (and praising them for
doing so) as well clipping their claws and giving a firm NO (or squirting
them with water) when scratching in areas that declawing would not be
needed. I think those who declaw don't want to know the truth or simply
can't handle it. I am proud of being on the side that doesn't declaw. Cats
don't deserve such punishment. They are beautiful and wonderful creatures
and should not be harmed. Those who declaw, let's face it are comitting
animal cruelty and don't even realize it because in their mind it isn't
wrong. When will these people learn? Declawing is wrong no matter how you
slice it. Declawing a cat also results in behavioral problems with the
animal and they also have health problems as well. A declawed cat also

loses
one of their main defensive mechanisms should they ever get outside.

Many animal rescue groups often speak out against declawing but it seems
many don't listen. I have yet to meet that one human believes in declawing
but that is willing to go through the procedure themselves (or one

similar).
I doubt I ever will. I think those who declaw cats are nothing but

cowards.
It is easy to hide behind ignorance when putting their cat through the
procedure but have they ever asked their cats if it is ok? How would

humans
feel if cats just scheduled an appointment for them to have important body
parts removed so their home or furniture wouldn't be ruined? I doubt a

human
would find that cool. So, for those considering declawing, read the facts.
There are so many non-harmful treatments you can try to curb bad behavior
and best of all it'd be cheaper. Enough said.

I had a cat declawed many, many years ago because a landlord said I had to
in order to keep the cat. I only *WISH* someone had told me what that
involved - I would have moved to a different apartment or even lived in a
cardboard box under an overpass ifI had known how much it hurt and how much
it would affect the quality of her life.

When you meet up with someone who is considering having a cat declawed
simply ask them, "How much do you love your cat." If they say even, "A
little", then tell them, "here is something you need to know, then."

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old November 25th 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

No More Retail wrote:
you can tell a person's real face by how they treat their pets

Very true. My ex-stepmother-from-hell declawed her cats, and she was a
horrible person, in general.

Old November 25th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I think for me the sad part is there was nothing I could really do or say. I
was cut-off and she told me she didn't want to talk about it. That to me
said she has probably already heard the side of people like me and didn't
want to hear it. You can't reach people like that so it was hard knowing
that no matter what, they are going to do it anyway. I kind of felt like a
real failure. The worse part was it was at Thanksgiving dinner which most
people frown on because they don't want to fight and make it unpleasant for
everyone. Besides you can't talk someone out of declawing their cat if they
do not care to know the facts or even want to listen.

Old November 25th 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I think for me the sad part is there was nothing I could really do or say.
I was cut-off and she told me she didn't want to talk about it. That to me
said she has probably already heard the side of people like me and didn't
want to hear it. You can't reach people like that so it was hard knowing
that no matter what, they are going to do it anyway. I kind of felt like a
real failure. The worse part was it was at Thanksgiving dinner which most
people frown on because they don't want to fight and make it unpleasant for
everyone. Besides you can't talk someone out of declawing their cat if they
do not care to know the facts or even want to listen.

I'd have just got up and gone home, not after the meal but there and then.
--

Niel H

Old November 25th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Declawing A Cat VERY LONG

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I think for me the sad part is there was nothing I could really do or say.
I was cut-off and she told me she didn't want to talk about it. That to me
said she has probably already heard the side of people like me and didn't
want to hear it. You can't reach people like that so it was hard knowing
that no matter what, they are going to do it anyway. I kind of felt like a
real failure. The worse part was it was at Thanksgiving dinner which most
people frown on because they don't want to fight and make it unpleasant
for everyone. Besides you can't talk someone out of declawing their cat if
they do not care to know the facts or even want to listen.

I'd have just got up and gone home, not after the meal but there and then.
--

Niel H

Agree w/general consensus: people *for* declawing just don't want to hear
logic about it *as a surgery*. But I have enlightened them during a visit to
my home (not a holiday dinner table) as they see two fully clawed adult cats
here (the third was front-declawed long before he came here) among the Ethan
Allen custom-leather sofa
and its footstool, also an orange-trim denim lounge (we are Broncomania
here) untouched by cat claws. I explain that I control the atmosphere of
tempting claw-sharpening
issues by diligent and frequent claw-trimming of the clawed duo as well as
many, many, heavy, ornamental
large throws completely covering (including *backs*) this
expensive furniture! All throws are "whipped right off" when company comes.
You can pick these throws up, if $ is short, for a couple dollars each at
Goodwill, Salvation Army thrift stores in your area. Once in awhile, one of
the clawed cats will sink a claw into one of the throws but they are so
thick the leather is never reached through them. I don't want to bother with
training cats (similar in my book to "herding cats" LOL) or having a crowded
living room full of scratching posts. Many years of clipping has kind of
"trained" them to put up with claw trimming, and honed my skills of
close-but-no-vein-contact work.
Caveat: do NOT ever attempt clipping with *dog* nail clippers. These will
pull, shred claws as well as scare your cat. If any "declawing" believers
read this long post, try my methods (fairly cheap but a little
demanding: regular clipping) before you condemn your cat to this unpleasant
fate.

Old November 26th 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

People like that really **** me off. THEY brought it up along with their
lack of interest on training them out of it or clipping the claws. As soon
as someone offers their own opinion, the discussion is over. I would have
asked them if it was a discussion they were looking for or if they were
making a speech.

Too bad they didn't choke on the wishbone.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old November 26th 05, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Cat Protector, I think I know how you feel. A while back I was shocked
to learn that my sister, who I think of as a real animal lover (she has
a pot bellied pig she loves, and has had numerous snakes) had sometime
in the past had her cats declawed after unsucessfully trying to train
and tempt them away from destroying some stupid 1950's colonial repro
dining room table that she considered an heirloom. When she eventually
married an allergic man she rehomed these cats with friends and got the
pig, which doesn't activate his allergies.

We were discussing this when she mentioned the declawing. I was kind of
stunned. It was all in the past, and she will probably never have cats
again due to hubby, so there wasn't much point in making her feel
really horrible about it. I did tell her I think declawing is wrong,
that it is like cutting off fingers, that it causes behavior problems.
She claimed her cats seemed fine afterwards, she even laughed about
their attempts to scratch with their poor little stumps.

I do like my sister and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I didn't
push the discussion very far. I honestly think she had no concept of
what she had done to her cats...she really did love and spoil them
otherwise. She told me she had spent extra money to get a laser declaw
which the vet had told her was better. I blame the vet for minimizing
what the procedure actually is.

I feel sad for her cats and I can see how a person who had done such a
thing would prefer to remain in denial about its atrociousness. I
really admire the people on this newsgroup who can admit they are sorry
to have declawed cats in the past when they were misinformed about it.
Most people can never admit they were wrong, and I really admire those
who can...they are much freer actually, and capable of learning and
changing. I'm glad the information is out there on the internet now,
because I think it probably is saving some cats from the hell of
declawing.

Old November 26th 05, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well when I saw she didn't want to hear it and cut me off short, I just got
up and walked away from the table upset. I could have yelled and screamed
but it would have spoiled it for everyone else. Knowing this cat is getting
declawed on Monday is upsetting but even more is the fact I can't do
anything about it.

Old November 26th 05, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well I was upset and it being Thanksgiving dinner there was not much I could
do. Before I even started to tell the reasons why a cat shouldn't be
declawed, I was cut off by the person. She didn't want to hear me out so I
just got up from the table and walked away angry. I always thought this
person wouldn't harm a fly but I was wrong. The worst thing is people like
that feel that getting a cat is their business and those that object have no
right to tell them what they can and can't do with their cats. It makes me
mad.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
oups.com...

Old November 26th 05, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wendy wrote:
They don't want to have to spend any time training the cat nor do they want
to spend the money on a good scratching post or cat tree. Maybe the cat tree
doesn't match their decor or something. They never see the problem as their
problem. The cat is the problem so they have it de-clawed. They bring the
cat home from surgery voilą! problem solved. Instant gratification.

Yep. It's pretty much a symptom of our Walmart society. They want
thier stuff NOW, they want it cheap, don't care about quality and they
want it because everybody else has it.

That being said, if you know the person well enough you can usually
talk them out of declawing. My sister was going to declaw two of her
cats - I talked her out of it pretty quick. But she didn't know what
was involved and when I told her she was horrified. But like the OP
said - if they know what it is and still don't care, there isn't much
you can do about it. We once had a Jr. assistant (student) at the vet
office I worked at tell a client to declaw a former feral. I about hit
the roof. Smarmy little bitch looked me in the face and said "Yeah, I
KNOW what it is." I could have slapped her. The head vet tech
eventually told her to quit giving out advice to clients - that it
wasn't her place. Thank god.

-L.