A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Preparing cats for the big move



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 9th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move

By the end of this month I will be moved over to the new house.

Probably won't get the fence completed for a while yet so meanwhile the cats
will just have to stay inside. I am preparing them for it slowly. It's not
hard to keep them in when it's cold, and we're finally getting some cold
weather. It may last for another few weeks.

I think it's a good thing to keep kitties inside for a while after a move,
anyway, until they are thoroughly familiar with the house and they've
adjusted to living there.

I decided against putting up a board fence like I originally planned. Not
that I wouldn't like to have a wooden fence, but it would just been too
costly. What I'll do instead is use welded wire, with electric at the top,
and plant bushes for privacy and a windbreak.

Anyone had any experience with "Austrees"?

http://www.rmausa.com/rma/trees/austree.html

The neighbors on two sides already have their yards fenced with welded wire,
so on those sides I can just plant steel t-posts with insulators on top and
run aluminum wire close to the top of the existing fence.

I already have a small charger and a post-pounder, 100' of w.w. and about 18
t-posts, and so the expense will be minimal, I'll just need one more roll of
w.w. and maybe a dozen more t-posts for the other sides.

I'm thinking that as long as the cats are kept inside they will spend time
looking out the windows and seeing/hearing vehicles whiz past, and hopefully
that will help them understand why they'll be finding themselves confined to
the backyard once I let them go out.




  #2  
Old February 9th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move


Pat wrote:
By the end of this month I will be moved over to the new house.

Probably won't get the fence completed for a while yet so meanwhile the cats
will just have to stay inside. I am preparing them for it slowly. It's not
hard to keep them in when it's cold, and we're finally getting some cold
weather. It may last for another few weeks.

I think it's a good thing to keep kitties inside for a while after a move,
anyway, until they are thoroughly familiar with the house and they've
adjusted to living there.

I decided against putting up a board fence like I originally planned. Not
that I wouldn't like to have a wooden fence, but it would just been too
costly. What I'll do instead is use welded wire, with electric at the top,
and plant bushes for privacy and a windbreak.

Anyone had any experience with "Austrees"?

http://www.rmausa.com/rma/trees/austree.html

The neighbors on two sides already have their yards fenced with welded wire,
so on those sides I can just plant steel t-posts with insulators on top and
run aluminum wire close to the top of the existing fence.

I already have a small charger and a post-pounder, 100' of w.w. and about 18
t-posts, and so the expense will be minimal, I'll just need one more roll of
w.w. and maybe a dozen more t-posts for the other sides.

I'm thinking that as long as the cats are kept inside they will spend time
looking out the windows and seeing/hearing vehicles whiz past, and hopefully
that will help them understand why they'll be finding themselves confined to
the backyard once I let them go out.


Have you ever considered just building an enclosure and forgetting
about trying to fence the entire yard? Even an 8x10 enclosure, enclosed
at the top, would be very safe and much less expensive. You wouldn't
have to use a fence charger either. You could furnish it with all kinds
of ramps, ledges, perches, scraching posts, climbing trees and leave a
grass floor. I would really be concerned about the safety of the cats.
I'd be afraid they'd get zapped by the charger, then panic and get hung
up on wire fence. Or it wouldn't be effective in keeping them from
escaping.

Sherry

  #3  
Old February 9th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move


wrote

Have you ever considered just building an enclosure and forgetting
about trying to fence the entire yard? Even an 8x10 enclosure, enclosed
at the top, would be very safe and much less expensive. You wouldn't
have to use a fence charger either. You could furnish it with all kinds
of ramps, ledges, perches, scraching posts, climbing trees and leave a
grass floor. I would really be concerned about the safety of the cats.
I'd be afraid they'd get zapped by the charger, then panic and get hung
up on wire fence. Or it wouldn't be effective in keeping them from
escaping.


No I hadn't considered that idea because we are talking about seven cats,
who have had free run of a *very* large territory all their lives. There
won't be any danger to them from the fence I described. They may initially
try to climb it, sure, and get zapped, jump back down and probably never try
it again.

I'm trying to picture whatever you're picturing that you think they could
"get hung up" on, and I can't. Do you know what welded wire is?

I need to fence the whole yard anyway for security reasons and to protect
the garden from other folks' pets roaming at large (not to mention the
people themselves, who might find my produce mighty tempting when they know
I'm gone for the day).

Besides, I will introduce the cats one by one to the yard and fence, and be
watching closely until I am sure each one has got the message about staying
in the yard. I'm just thankful it's a big enough yard that they at least
won't feel seriously confined in it.

What I might do, though, is build an enclosure they can use instead of going
out in the yard when I am not at home. That way I will be able to stay gone
for several days if I wish, without having to leave them totally cooped up
in the house yet free from worry that they might find a way to escape the
yard in my absence.


  #4  
Old February 9th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move

Pat wrote:
wrote

Have you ever considered just building an enclosure and forgetting
about trying to fence the entire yard? Even an 8x10 enclosure, enclosed
at the top, would be very safe and much less expensive. You wouldn't
have to use a fence charger either. You could furnish it with all kinds
of ramps, ledges, perches, scraching posts, climbing trees and leave a
grass floor. I would really be concerned about the safety of the cats.
I'd be afraid they'd get zapped by the charger, then panic and get hung
up on wire fence. Or it wouldn't be effective in keeping them from
escaping.


No I hadn't considered that idea because we are talking about seven cats,
who have had free run of a *very* large territory all their lives. There
won't be any danger to them from the fence I described. They may initially
try to climb it, sure, and get zapped, jump back down and probably never try
it again.

I'm trying to picture whatever you're picturing that you think they could
"get hung up" on, and I can't. Do you know what welded wire is?

I need to fence the whole yard anyway for security reasons and to protect
the garden from other folks' pets roaming at large (not to mention the
people themselves, who might find my produce mighty tempting when they know
I'm gone for the day).

Besides, I will introduce the cats one by one to the yard and fence, and be
watching closely until I am sure each one has got the message about staying
in the yard. I'm just thankful it's a big enough yard that they at least
won't feel seriously confined in it.

What I might do, though, is build an enclosure they can use instead of going
out in the yard when I am not at home. That way I will be able to stay gone
for several days if I wish, without having to leave them totally cooped up
in the house yet free from worry that they might find a way to escape the
yard in my absence.



Ok so why not build or by an enclosure for the cats, and fence the yard
in for security/privacy and leave the cats free reign in the enclosure,
and forget about the electric fence, etc? Lots of people keep their cats
in enclosures with no issues.


Also with certain parts of the country being lawsuit happy - could you
be leaving yourself open to one with the electric fence? I presume you
will have a warning posted? Here if you leave a hose on your own
property, and someone trips over it and hurts themselves the homeowner
can be liable for damages to the one who tripped over the hose EVEN
though it was on what is essentially private property.
  #5  
Old February 9th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move


"rrb" wrote

Also with certain parts of the country being lawsuit happy - could you be
leaving yourself open to one with the electric fence?


I suppose someone could try to sue me if there was a tort involved
(negligence, e.g. I didn't post a sign), and actual damages. But how much
damage can be done by an electric fence?

Indeed I wonder how many people here have ever touched an electric fence.
I've done it dozens of times by accident. If I ever tried to sue someone
over it, the court clerk would bust out laughing when I filed the complaint.


  #6  
Old February 9th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move

Pat wrote:
"rrb" wrote

Also with certain parts of the country being lawsuit happy - could
you be leaving yourself open to one with the electric fence?


I suppose someone could try to sue me if there was a tort involved
(negligence, e.g. I didn't post a sign), and actual damages. But how
much damage can be done by an electric fence?

Indeed I wonder how many people here have ever touched an electric
fence. I've done it dozens of times by accident. If I ever tried to
sue someone over it, the court clerk would bust out laughing when I
filed the complaint.


As a kid, it was fun to hold onto an electric fence then touch other kids
as they walked pass, for some reason the shock seems worse if you're not
expecting it. evil grin Another time, when my brother and I were quite
small, we had metal frame beds which we wired up so my mother got a shock
when she touched them. I've grown up now, honest!
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.
http://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk


  #7  
Old February 9th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move


"Pat" wrote in message
...
By the end of this month I will be moved over to the new house.

Probably won't get the fence completed for a while yet so meanwhile the
cats will just have to stay inside. I am preparing them for it slowly.
It's not hard to keep them in when it's cold, and we're finally getting
some cold weather. It may last for another few weeks.

I think it's a good thing to keep kitties inside for a while after a move,
anyway, until they are thoroughly familiar with the house and they've
adjusted to living there.

I decided against putting up a board fence like I originally planned. Not
that I wouldn't like to have a wooden fence, but it would just been too
costly. What I'll do instead is use welded wire, with electric at the top,
and plant bushes for privacy and a windbreak.

Anyone had any experience with "Austrees"?

http://www.rmausa.com/rma/trees/austree.html

The neighbors on two sides already have their yards fenced with welded
wire, so on those sides I can just plant steel t-posts with insulators on
top and run aluminum wire close to the top of the existing fence.

I already have a small charger and a post-pounder, 100' of w.w. and about
18 t-posts, and so the expense will be minimal, I'll just need one more
roll of w.w. and maybe a dozen more t-posts for the other sides.

I'm thinking that as long as the cats are kept inside they will spend time
looking out the windows and seeing/hearing vehicles whiz past, and
hopefully that will help them understand why they'll be finding themselves
confined to the backyard once I let them go out.





Please come up with a different alternative. If there is any possibility
that a cat could come into contact with an electric fence (which is your
reason for installing one), it could be dangerous and painful. Yes, I am
familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for larger
animals. I was once riding a horse which touched an electric fence with his
nose. The moisture on his nose probably intensified the sensation, and he
literally went crazy (with me on his back!). An enclosure such as what
Sherry described could work very well.

In addition to my concerns about safety and the possibility of a painful
experience for your cats, you might find that you could not legally install
an electric fence. They are frequently used in rural areas, but they are
prohibited in many residential areas. Unless you carefully check city
ordinances (and even builders' codes, depending on where you live), you
could find yourself with the additional expense and inconvenience of
removing something that you had installed.

Here are a number of linkes (with pictures) of some outdoor fences or
enclosures for cats. Some are expensive, but many are simple and
do-it-yourself:
Design for do-it-yourself barrier to mount on top of fence (to keep cats
in):
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Outdoor fence enclosure (several views):
http://www.just4cats.com/ http://www.just4cats.com/post1.html
http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html

A guide to inexpensive do-it-yourself fencing:
http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html

Cat fence-in containment system:
http://www.catfencein.com/ http://www.fabcats.org (includes an information
sheet that can be downloaded)

"Friendly Fence": web site says it is virtually invisible
www.friendlyfence.com

Pictures from readers of "Cat Fancy" showing enclosures they have built:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

Other ideas for outdoor fencing for cats:
http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

KittyKlips - addition to existing wood fence to prevent cats from climbing
[note: but would not prevent cats on the "other" side of fence from getting
in]:
http://kittyklips.com/details.htm

Cat enclosure made of planks and netting:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm

Modular cat enclosures:
http://www.catnip.com.au/ Flippy's page:

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/enclosures.html

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7


  #8  
Old February 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move

Pat wrote:
wrote

Have you ever considered just building an enclosure and forgetting
about trying to fence the entire yard? Even an 8x10 enclosure,
enclosed at the top, would be very safe and much less expensive. You
wouldn't
have to use a fence charger either. You could furnish it with all
kinds of ramps, ledges, perches, scraching posts, climbing trees and
leave a grass floor. I would really be concerned about the safety of
the cats. I'd be afraid they'd get zapped by the charger, then panic
and get hung up on wire fence. Or it wouldn't be effective in
keeping them from escaping.


No I hadn't considered that idea because we are talking about seven
cats, who have had free run of a *very* large territory all their
lives. There won't be any danger to them from the fence I described.
They may initially try to climb it, sure, and get zapped, jump back
down and probably never try it again.

I'm trying to picture whatever you're picturing that you think they
could "get hung up" on, and I can't. Do you know what welded wire is?

I need to fence the whole yard anyway for security reasons and to
protect the garden from other folks' pets roaming at large (not to
mention the people themselves, who might find my produce mighty
tempting when they know I'm gone for the day).

Besides, I will introduce the cats one by one to the yard and fence,
and be watching closely until I am sure each one has got the message
about staying in the yard. I'm just thankful it's a big enough yard
that they at least won't feel seriously confined in it.

What I might do, though, is build an enclosure they can use instead
of going out in the yard when I am not at home. That way I will be
able to stay gone for several days if I wish, without having to leave
them totally cooped up in the house yet free from worry that they
might find a way to escape the yard in my absence.


Miranda and Caliban have a wonderful enclosure and I don't see why it
wouldn't work for all of your cats. They'll get used to an enclosed space
and still have access to the outdoors.

Jill


  #9  
Old February 9th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move

Pat, good luck on everything. Hope the cats are not too hard to contain, and
we are happy that you finally have a place of your own. Take it easy, let us
know about the progress.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
to the stars we return
from now until the end of time
"Pat" wrote in message
...
By the end of this month I will be moved over to the new house.

Probably won't get the fence completed for a while yet so meanwhile the
cats will just have to stay inside. I am preparing them for it slowly.
It's not hard to keep them in when it's cold, and we're finally getting
some cold weather. It may last for another few weeks.

I think it's a good thing to keep kitties inside for a while after a move,
anyway, until they are thoroughly familiar with the house and they've
adjusted to living there.

I decided against putting up a board fence like I originally planned. Not
that I wouldn't like to have a wooden fence, but it would just been too
costly. What I'll do instead is use welded wire, with electric at the top,
and plant bushes for privacy and a windbreak.

Anyone had any experience with "Austrees"?

http://www.rmausa.com/rma/trees/austree.html

The neighbors on two sides already have their yards fenced with welded
wire, so on those sides I can just plant steel t-posts with insulators on
top and run aluminum wire close to the top of the existing fence.

I already have a small charger and a post-pounder, 100' of w.w. and about
18 t-posts, and so the expense will be minimal, I'll just need one more
roll of w.w. and maybe a dozen more t-posts for the other sides.

I'm thinking that as long as the cats are kept inside they will spend time
looking out the windows and seeing/hearing vehicles whiz past, and
hopefully that will help them understand why they'll be finding themselves
confined to the backyard once I let them go out.






  #10  
Old February 9th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Preparing cats for the big move


"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

Yes, I am familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for
larger animals.


Electric fences are in fact used to contain all kinds and sizes of animals.
I wish I could afford the type shown on this page:
http://www.sureguard.com.au/cat_electric_fence.html


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 December 19th 05 05:36 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 December 19th 05 05:35 AM
Getting our two cats to accept eachother - Moving in a new cat Muffin McMuff from Mullaghduff Cat health & behaviour 9 November 15th 05 04:44 PM
Help! Need suggestions---how to train cats not to claw or scratch carpets, drapes, wallpaper, ...anything that doesn't move Girg Cats - misc 8 April 19th 04 12:58 PM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.