Persia's Checkup: I Forgot to Update Everyone! (Long)

Old January 18th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia's Checkup: I Forgot to Update Everyone! (Long)

Real life intervened so I wasn't able to get Persia to the vet until
Saturday, 1/16/10.

This is the first time she's seen this vet even though I've been buying her
R/x c/d there since I brought her here. She needed her shots and I just
wanted a general health check up. I mentioned to the vet Persia had lost
about 3 pounds in I don't know how many months. But I told her she seems to
be much more active than she ever was in the past. I mentioned the zoomies
and her fairly recent interest in chasing her tail, sometimes several times
a day! LOL

All her blood work (they did a "senior panel") came back just fine. No
signs of any health problems. The fecal test showed she had a parasite
(which I can't pronounce, let alone spell!). I expressed surprise since
Persia is strictly an indoor cat. Where would she have picked up a
parasite? The vet said this particular bug can literally hang around for
*years* and never cause any problems. But if it decides to act up (her
words) it would cause diarrhea. Persia hasn't ever had diarrhea but the vet
sent me home with some medicine anyway. You know Persia is just *thrilled*
about that! But it's only a three day course of medicine, pre-measured in
syringes administered by mouth. Fortunately today is day three I do
have to bring in a stool sample around February 6th so they can run the
fecal test again. But she got a clean bill of health.

The vet isn't concerned about the weight loss. She says it seems Persia
just decided to start her own exercise regimine I am convinced it's
because this house has a lot more light than my apartment in TN did and she
has more room to run around. So now she's back to her optimum weight.
She's a fairly large (long and tall) cat. (The vet has a Bengal... now
that's a long and tall cat!!)

Everyone at the office loved Persia. She didn't complain a bit. (She never
does, except when I put her in the carrier and in the car. But hey, maybe
she thought I was taking her on another 700 mile trip! LOL.) One of the
techs said not only is she a beautiful cat but her fur is as soft as a
rabbit! Yep, she's very soft and silky

The vet did find a "cavity". I know that's not the correct term, but there
is a spot where the gum has started to grow down to cover a sort of hole at
the gumline by the root. So she wants to pull a tooth. The problem is she
doesn't do dentals on Saturday. I explained I just started working
(literally just!) in a tax office. I can't very well take time off for my
cat to have a tooth pulled in the middle of tax season! Dropping her off
and picking her up later is also problematic. So I asked if it could wait
until after April 15th. She said as long as Persia isn't in pain she didn't
think it would be a problem.

Persia hasn't shown *any* signs of being in pain. She eats her dry kibble
with unabashed enthusiasm. She rubs that side of her face/mouth against me
all the time without acting like anything hurts. The vet admitted she
didn't realize there was a "problem tooth" until she just happened to poke
that particular spot and Persia cringed. So she printed an estimate of the
cost, including extraction, general anesthesia and take home pain
medication - $125. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

And, get this: This is the first time ever I've taken Persia for a check up
where she didn't sulk (or even hide) once we got home. She acted like it
was nothing at all! So either she was relieved it was a three-day trip or
she was relieved I wasn't boarding her. Or both

Jill

Old January 19th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Glad to hear Persia is doing fine!

All her blood work (they did a "senior panel") came back just fine. *No
signs of any health problems. *The fecal test showed she had a parasite
(which I can't pronounce, let alone spell!). *I expressed surprise since
Persia is strictly an indoor cat. *Where would she have picked up a
parasite? *The vet said this particular bug can literally hang around for
*years* and never cause any problems. *But if it decides to act up (her
words) it would cause diarrhea. *Persia hasn't ever had diarrhea but the vet
sent me home with some medicine anyway. *You know Persia is just *thrilled*
about that! *But it's only a three day course of medicine, pre-measured in
syringes administered by mouth. *Fortunately today is day three

Hmm, Giardia, or coccidia, my guess would be one of those two.

The vet did find a "cavity". *I know that's not the correct term, but there
is a spot where the gum has started to grow down to cover a sort of hole at
the gumline by the root. *

That would be a Resorptive Lesion, and yup they can be painful, but
most cats figure out how to chew on the side that doesn't have it.
only $125? that's really good. Mayhem needs a dental because i know
she has at least two, but for me it would cost a LOT more, probably
around $500. I'm waiting for February which is dental month, and I
might be able to get a small discount.

Just keep an eye on her eating habits. I soften Mayhem's kibble with
water to make it easy to chew. Mischief had one and i hardly noticed
it becasue she ate every meal like it was her last.

give Persia some scritches for me.

Kristi

Old January 19th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Mischief" wrote in message
[...]

******

I'd forgotten that some cats do actually chew kibble. Ours just wolf
it. You wouldn't think they'd be so particular about which sort it
is since they don't chew it, but they are. Damn fine noses, most
cats.

Jo

Old January 20th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
Real life intervened so I wasn't able to get Persia to the vet until
Saturday, 1/16/10.

This is the first time she's seen this vet even though I've been buying her
R/x c/d there since I brought her here. She needed her shots and I just
wanted a general health check up. I mentioned to the vet Persia had lost
about 3 pounds in I don't know how many months. But I told her she seems to
be much more active than she ever was in the past. I mentioned the zoomies
and her fairly recent interest in chasing her tail, sometimes several times
a day! LOL

What a good girl! What a bit of a surprise that she has worms (I
assume). She must've been hosting them for many years.
Old January 20th 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Jan 18, 6:30*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

Everyone at the office loved Persia. *

Of course everyone loved her, she's a special cat.

[...]

I would think waiting awhile shouldn't cause Persia any trouble but
remember that cats hide pain very well so you may not realize she's in
pain. But you are a good cat mother so I know you would notice if she
wasn't eating as well or if she began drooling. I never notice that
our cats need dentals and Lacey had one split tooth and one that had
broken off. If you decided she did need to have the dental could
your neighbor take her to the vet for you?

Gentle headbutts and purrs from my crew who all know about
dentals....well except for the kittens. Scritches from me as well.

Julie, Lacey, Sam, Barnabus, Meeka, Rosco and Spagola

Old January 20th 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Jan 18, 7:49*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"Mischief" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah haven't forgotten cleaning up freshly horked food and finding
unchewed kibble.

kristi
Old January 20th 10, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 18, 10:31*pm, Mischief wrote:
[...]

Rusty's Resorptive Lesion was discovered when I found blood on his
gum.
2 teeth were pulled. I can't remember exacly how much I paid. But I
think
it was more than $125, probably around $500. He had blood work done
before the dental sugery to make sure he was healthy enough for it.
That probably added to the cost.

I brushed Rusty's teeth regularly but he still had with Resorptive
Lesion.

Winnie
Old January 21st 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Julie_Snowshoe" wrote in message
[...]

I have a hard enough time getting Persia into her carrier. I wouldn't wish
that on my neighbor! She's very friendly with the neighbor but I'm not sure
Persia would let her pick her up.

I'll wait and observe and see if she shows any signs of discomfort. If she
does they'll just have to get someone to cover my hours at work. The
receptionist I work with told me there are some friends supposed to visit on
their way from the northern U.S. down to Florida in early March. She said
she'll want to take 2-3 days off. If it's busy in the office they're going
to have to find someone who can come in and help me when she's gone.
Conversely, if my cat is in pain they're going to have to cover my shift as
well. Persia has been with me a lot longer than this job has She's
priority!

Jill

Old January 21st 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Jan 18, 5:30*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

The weight loss could be related to the bad tooth (FORL) and because
it hurts so much, Persia is eating less. Cats are masters at hiding
pain so never assume Persia isn't in pain just because she doesn't
show it. If she cringed when the vet touched her bad tooth, it's
likely it hurts all the time, just more so on contact. Dental disease
can cause serious health issues and affect other organs, and more
often than not there can be other things going on under the gumline
that aren't visible to the eye, but are clear on xray. This is why it
is so important to do full rads on any cat receiving dental treatment.
If the vet misses any possible underlying issues by not doing the
rads, then they are not diagnosing/treating the cat properly.
Hopefully you can get Persia in for her dental sooner than April.
That's a long time to have to suffer with tooth pain.