Big cats in England

Old April 23rd 04, 02:33 AM
JP Hobbs

Dont I know it, I'm a pommy myself, Jean.P.
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
I LOVE big cats specially the tigers leopards and lions
they are so beautiful!!!!! Jean.P.

As do I, but the living wild in the UK is *not* the place any large cat

should
be.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old April 23rd 04, 05:52 AM
Yowie

"Napoleon" wrote in message
om...
"Yowie" wrote in message

. au...
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote

in
message ...
I hope they'll be protected as well as studied.

Joy

Joy, big cats aren't native to the UK. If there are any in the wild

(and I
think there most probably are a few), I have grave misgivings about

them
remaining here. The theory is that they are cats that have escaped or

have
been
deliberately released from private collections when legislation was

brought in
controlling who could have them and how/where they were kept.
Reasons for my misgivings - example, we now have wild mink in the UK.

They
are
escapees (unintentional & deliberate escape - "liberation") and

descendents of
escapees from mink farms. The mink in question is the American Mink -

it's
not
native to the UK and it has no natural predators over here. It also

breeds
extremely well over here. It is destroying our native and now very

rare,
extremely endangered water voles. There's nothing better a mink likes

than
tasty water vole for lunch. The mink is killing off our own wild life

rather
efficiently. For example - the stream at the end of my garden is a

tributary of
the River Wensum. It had been mink free until quite recently. I used

see a
lot of water voles about. I haven't seen *any* this year. There's no

sign
of
them. Some time ago a downstream neighbour told me she'd seen a mink

on
the
banks of the stream where it goes by her place. Mink have been

reported
elsewhere on the river system too. Also, the number of fish in the

stream
has
noticeably declined when the water is *good* and it's not fished to

any
extent.

The other problem is that in relative terms, the UK is a small

landmass,
highly
urbanised in many areas so there simply isn't the space for big cats

to be
about in any quantity without possible serious consequences for

people. In
this
case, it isn't the people encroaching on to land previously the

natural
habitat
of the big cats, it's more the other way around.

I have very grave doubts about big cats remaining wild in the UK.

This problem of "imported" species out-doing the native species is a

major
problem here in Australia, particularly when it comes to feral cats,

dogs
and pigs, although there are many other introduced species that are

wreaking
havoc in their own environmental niches (can toads, european carp,

indian
mynah bird etc etc). Because Australia was so isolated for so long (in

terms
of evolution) our native fauna simply doesn't have the natural methods

of
dealing with the effecient hunters that come from other parts of the

world.

I saw a program on TV a while back dealing at least in part with the
feral cat problem in Australia. It featured this somewhat repulsive
man who hunted cats for a bounty-his car had a sticker that said AFAIR
something like "The only good cat is a dead cat." He seemed to really
enjoy shooting the cats. Apparently also some aboriginial people in
Australia hunt and eat feral cats. There was a clip on the program
showing some aborigineal women chasing after a feral cat which they
caught and later cooked.

Yeah, he's pretty "famous" around here. Trouble is, he doesn't present his
arguments against the feral cat in a logical and non-confrontational way and
so tends to divide viewers unto ardent cat haters and equally fanatical cat
lovers with no room for a sane and rational discourse to occur in between.

There *is* a feral cat problem here in Oz. Is the best solution shooting
them? Well, eradicating the truly *feral* variety (as opposed the the
*stray* population) is certainly desirable and shooting, as much as I hate
to admit it, is cheap and realtively humane. However, *education* of
potential cat (and other potentially feral) owners and strict enforcement of
neutering laws would also do a great deal to help the situation. The indoor
housecat is not causing *any* harm to the native fauna, so this crackpot's
solution of "the only good cat is a dead cat" is not reasonable at all, and
he certainly doesn't do his cause any good amongst resposnible cat owners by
spouting such hate-filled drivel. Unfortunatley such a controversial person
does make great TV and gets far more air time than he deserves, IMHO.

Yowie

Old April 23rd 04, 08:40 AM
Debbie Wilson

Just got back from the Galapagos a few weeks ago :-)))

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

You have just caused me to turn a vivid shade of bright green!

:-))) Sorry. If it's any consolation, I had been wanting to go since I
was 12, so an ambition fulfilled by the trip - and a fantastic honeymoon
into the bargain!

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old April 23rd 04, 09:15 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

:-))) Sorry. If it's any consolation, I had been wanting to go since I
was 12, so an ambition fulfilled by the trip - and a fantastic honeymoon
into the bargain!

No... No.... *nothing can console me....

I'm *green* I tell you, *green*....

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $