Update - Hushpad, bad news

Old June 28th 04, 03:03 AM

Kelly wrote:
I advised the people to keep them
separate at first, then do a gradual
introduction. Apparently, Hushpad
attacked the dog, gave him some nasty
scratches on his face. The little girl got in
the middle of it, and also was scratched.

I'm really sorry to hear this. The reality is that people just don't
seem to pay attention. I think that it's very important to not only give
people detailed instructions about doing introductions, but do it in
writing and go over it with them in person.
What is equally if not *more* important, is to make sure people
understand what can and often WILL happen if these instructions are
*not* followed, along with what to do if disaster strikes. I think often
we're so busy explaining what to do that we forget the importance of
telling people what NOT to do.

Whenever I help someone do an introduction, I always stress that it's
better to be safe than sorry, and moving too fast is generally a recipe
for disaster. I also explain that there are exceptions where
introductions happen quickly and without any problems, but they are
rare. Taking chances, rushing and ending up with a disaster is stupid
(and yes, I am blunt on that point), when simply being patient and
taking a couple of weeks to ensure things go smoothly is the sensible
thing to do and ensures better than good odds that you'll have success.

I also make sure people know to never, ever, ever get in the middle of a
fight, and to instead grab the nearest pillow, chair cushion, or
whatever and get it between the animals, then herd one away.

Even though this home didn't work out for Hushpad, I would like to think
of it as a blessing in disguise and believe it just means there is a
*better* home for her just around the corner.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 28th 04, 03:37 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

Me too. I thought she was off to a good start, but I guess not. I hope

this
time she might be with a foster parent who enjoys her affectionate nature.

sigh
I do enjoy her affectionate nature. However, there is a difference between
affection and being overly clingy. My job as a foster parent is to help a
cat become adoptable, whether that is socializing a feral or helping a cat
that is so clingy she won't let you do anything except pay attention to her.
I was making some progress with Hushpad. She would actually just sit on my
lap for a period of time, instead of walking back and forth in front of my
face. This cat, as much as I love her, has some issues. I discussed it with
the cat coordinator and the other foster parents, and we felt it would be
best to have her in a foster home as an only pet, instead of in my house
where I have 6 of my own cats, and now a litter of 3. This would be too
much stress for her at this time.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old June 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

Me too. I thought she was off to a good start, but I guess not. I hope

this
time she might be with a foster parent who enjoys her affectionate

nature.

sigh
I do enjoy her affectionate nature.

Touchy touchy. Know how to use your
killfile, Kelly? Why not put me in it so that
I don't huwt you widdle feewings any more.

You were the first person in years that I
had seen complain about Hushpad's
"clingy" nature. I thought it sucked then
and I still do.

Old June 28th 04, 03:54 AM
KellyH

wrote in message

[...]

People get so excited about their new pet that they forget everything we
tell them sometimes. I told the adopters the whole episode of what happened
with my cats, as I wanted them to know everything about Hushpad, and really
make sure this was the cat for them. I also explained that as far as we
knew, she had not been around a dog, so it was a giant question mark as to
how she would react to the dog.

I also make sure people know to never, ever, ever get in the middle of a
fight, and to instead grab the nearest pillow, chair cushion, or
whatever and get it between the animals, then herd one away.

Even though this home didn't work out for Hushpad, I would like to think
of it as a blessing in disguise and believe it just means there is a
*better* home for her just around the corner.

I hope so, Megan. She is a special girl who really needs the right home.
Now I know even more to trust my instincts. There was a little voice in the
back of my head about this one. The girl was sooo sweet with Hushpad, and
the parents said all the right things, it made me think this would work.

Old June 28th 04, 04:13 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

Touchy touchy. Know how to use your
killfile, Kelly? Why not put me in it so that
I don't huwt you widdle feewings any more.

Yes, I do. Message - Block Sender. I very rarely killfile people. There's
only a few I have over the years, and that's because they were outright
trollers, that Puppy Wizard guy and Mars Project, that's it.
For the record, you did not hurt my feelings. I was trying to better
explain the situation.

You were the first person in years that I
had seen complain about Hushpad's
"clingy" nature. I thought it sucked then
and I still do.

You can think it sucks all you want. I never, ever, complained about
Hushpad. I was looking for assistance in helping her, that's all. Being
overly clingy can be a potential drawback in someone wanting to adopt a cat.
I'll be honest, it's not something I have come across that much in
fostering. Usually, I'm trying to socialize a cat.

Old June 28th 04, 04:37 AM
Sherry

I do enjoy her affectionate nature. However, there is a difference between
affection and being overly clingy. My job as a foster parent is to help a
cat become adoptable, whether that is socializing a feral or helping a cat
that is so clingy she won't let you do anything except pay attention to her.
I was making some progress with Hushpad. She would actually just sit on my
lap for a period of time, instead of walking back and forth in front of my
face. This cat, as much as I love her, has some issues.

I understand that. Some people *want* a really affectionate lapcat. Some prefer
an independent, more aloof one. I think the progress you've realized with
Hushpad is due to the love and attention she's gotten--she's getting more
secure and with that, less clingy. My Biskit, after 4 months, is finally a good
lapcat, and not quite so frantic about showing affection.
New problem, another cat though...what *does* one do with a frantic leg-rubber?
I mean, this cat has been accidentally kicked and stepped on (and practically
fallen on top of) enough you'd think he'd get the message. Not yet.

Sherry