Abducted strays?

Old October 11th 03, 01:03 PM

Default Abducted strays?

Hi. I sometimes lurk here - but now I need to know what other think of this:

I use/watch over an old auto shop of friend who moved away. Its often been a
temporary home of stray cats who come and move on (the location is in-town).
About 6 weeks ago I was there and saw an orange tabby who hissed at me -- and
then fell down. I knew she was weak and hungry. Fed her and discovered a
kitten with her later that day. I've been feeding and socializing them for
weeks. (And it was working too. They were both following me around).

That is in the past tense, because last Tuesday I showed up to feed them and
the woman next door said her sister took them home. -- Now, I was looking for
a home or foster home for them, especially with winter coming in New England
--
but I'm ****ed that someone just decided they were there for the taking --
even if the intentions were good.

But I'm also bothered by the thought that this mother was not a stray. She
socialize with me in a matter of days. She went from shy to running to me when
I showed up -- which I thought was unusual and makes me think she was owned
and loved by someone before. And there is more; for most of the first few
weeks I was feeding them, the mother stayed there near her kitten. Then
starting a couple of weeks ago, I would show up and the mother would not be
around. At first I thought she was just stronger and wondering some -- but on
one of these days, I went looking for her mostly through back yards in the
area. A couple of blocks away a woman to told me she had seen 'that cat,'
wondering through her yard a few times, and it ran when she tried to get close
to it. -- But she didn't run towards the shop -- but in the opposite
direction. At the time I thought that was odd, and wondered if it had a home
in that direction and that is why she was there in the first place.

So I guess I asking about cat behavior here; is it possible that this cat was
pregnant and maybe the owners were off on vacation or something and she
became lost and she had her kitten in an old car, and stayed for a few weeks
knowing she didn't know the way home or couldn't travel with a kitten, etc.

Should I just forget about this whole thing, or make an issue about it? I
know they might be better off with this woman, but they might not be either. A
admittedly I'm guessing at that simply because I know there are two other cats
and two people in a small trailer. But at the same time, I keep having this
thought some little kid is still missing his orange cat.

I also had made arrangements with the local humane society to get help with a
vet -- and picked one that would be the most likely to know if someone as
looking for an orange tabby. I have wondered over the past few days 9since the
abduction) if I was just attached and missing them, but the fact is I also
keep an eye out for someone missing a really pretty, friendly cat.

Old October 11th 03, 10:48 PM

Most strays that hang around for awhile have been abandoned or are not
taken care of properly. My rule is that if the cat is not neutered then
all bets are off as to prior owners and the cat becomes mine. Be happy
that the cat and the kitten were adopted together, and work on finding
other strays homes.

One thing I would recommend is if you have a stray that is socialized
and will let you near them, don't leave them outside until you decide
what to do. Take them to a vet for FIV/Felv testing, neutering and
vaccinations then keep them safe indoors.This way they will be out of
harm's way and you will know exactly where they are while you decide
whether to keep them or rehome them.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 12th 03, 12:54 AM

In , on 10/11/03
at 05:26 PM, m. L. Briggs said:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:03:15 GMT, wrote:

Hi. I sometimes lurk here - but now I need to know what other think of this:

I use/watch over an old auto shop of friend who moved away. Its often been a
temporary home of stray cats who come and move on (the location is in-town).
About 6 weeks ago I was there and saw an orange tabby who hissed at me -- and
then fell down. I knew she was weak and hungry. Fed her and discovered a
kitten with her later that day. I've been feeding and socializing them for
weeks. (And it was working too. They were both following me around).

That is in the past tense, because last Tuesday I showed up to feed them and
the woman next door said her sister took them home. -- Now, I was looking for
a home or foster home for them, especially with winter coming in New England

Why don't you ask your neighbor for her sister's address then go visit her
and the kitties. You may find peace of mind about the new home. If you had
intended to take them home for yourself, you should have done it sooner.
The important thing is they have a home with someone who apparently wanted
them. MLB

Your tone borders on the obnoxious. You obviously do not have a full handle
on the entire situation. I had everything thing under planned -- this taking
was planned by someone else, who knew better then to ask -- and who refuses to
give me the address or name of the supposed sister. -- Thanks for non-advice.
I'll know where not to go in the future.

Old October 12th 03, 01:03 AM

In , on 10/11/03
at 04:48 PM, said:

Most strays that hang around for awhile have been abandoned or are not taken
care of properly. My rule is that if the cat is not neutered then all bets
are off as to prior owners and the cat becomes mine. Be happy that the cat
and the kitten were adopted together, and work on finding other strays homes.

One thing I would recommend is if you have a stray that is socialized and
will let you near them, don't leave them outside until you decide what to do.
Take them to a vet for FIV/Felv testing, neutering and vaccinations then keep
them safe indoors.This way they will be out of harm's way and you will know
exactly where they are while you decide whether to keep them or rehome them.

I didn't just leave them outside. I wasn't waiting to decide -- the kitten was
not completely socialized. Furthermore, the people who took them don't as far
as anyone knows have a good home, nor the means to take the cats to a vet. --
So don't jump to conclusions. And there is still the issue of someone missing
a mother cat who came around quite quickly to have been alone for long --
which is point.

When trying to "help" someone who comes here -- don't make assumptions!

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid
plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves
too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's
favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance,
which no man could have dreamt would have come his way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 12th 03, 01:18 AM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:54:02 GMT, wrote:

In , on 10/11/03
at 05:26 PM, m. L. Briggs said:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:03:15 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that you are more concerned with loss of control of the
situation than with the welfare of the cats. Since cats don't react
well to attempts at control - one of the reasons why power seeking
people such as politicians, and especially dictators, generally don't
have much use for cats, but prefer dogs - dogs do respond well to
control. If you are going to be involved in animal rescues, I suggest
you forget about cats and concentrate on dogs - there are plenty of
those that need rescue just as much as do stray cats, and they would
be more in tune with your attitude. And since dog rescue almost
always involves taking control of the dog immediately, there is little
chance of someone else intervening.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old October 12th 03, 01:38 AM

In , on 10/11/03
at 07:18 PM, Ted Davis said:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:54:02 GMT, wrote:

In , on 10/11/03
at 05:26 PM, m. L. Briggs said:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:03:15 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

And you know what that situation is from your end of this computer? Amazing.

Since cats don't react well to
attempts at control - one of the reasons why power seeking people such as
politicians, and especially dictators, generally don't have much use for
cats, but prefer dogs - dogs do respond well to control. If you are going to
be involved in animal rescues, I suggest you forget about cats and
concentrate on dogs - there are plenty of those that need rescue just as much
as do stray cats,

What if the momcat wasn't a stray? -- Did you miss and friends here miss that
part here?

and they would be more in tune with your attitude. And
since dog rescue almost always involves taking control of the dog
immediately, there is little chance of someone else intervening.

Next time I want advice, I will find people with a few more smarts and
socialization skills then I see here -- because, well you know -- I don't know
how be tactful about this, but everyone who is aware of the situation in the
neighborhood thinks something is wrong, -- as in there is more going on here
then is apparent. e.g., the motivations of the persons who took them might not
be as noble as you people are assuming. (I just didn't go into that part in
the initial post).

Old October 12th 03, 02:03 AM
frlpwr

(snip)

Should I just forget about this whole thing, or make an issue about it? I
know they might be better off with this woman, but they might not be either. A
admittedly I'm guessing at that simply because I know there are two other cats
and two people in a small trailer. But at the same time, I keep having this
thought some little kid is still missing his orange cat.

If there is a residential area nearby, post signs asking if anyone is
missing an orange tabby female w/kitten. If there is an original owner,
(doubtful, imo), (s)he can probably make a strident enough demand on the
sister of the woman who allegedly has the cats to get the information
needed and secure their return.

I would be more concerned about the relocation of an outdoor adult.
Unless the person now in possession of the cats keeps the female
confined, there is a good chance she will try to go back to her
territory, probably with kitten in tow. This usually means traveling
some distance across inhospitable and dangerous terrain. Cats become
disoriented and reckless; most don't survive the trip.

If I were you, I would revisit the woman whose sister supposedly took
the cats. Tell her whatever you need to in order to see the cats. Tell
her you want to get the female spayed (This needs to be done before she
becomes pregnant again.), that you want to treat the cats for fleas,
contribute food, you're despondent over the loss of the cats, whatever.
It is very odd that the woman doesn't want you to speak with the new
"owner". It's cause to be nervous.

Old October 12th 03, 02:31 AM

I didn't just leave them outside. I
wasn't waiting to decide -- the kitten
was not completely socialized.

It was socialized enough that somebody else was able to get the kitten,
so it is clear you could have brought both cats inside.

Furthermore, the people who took them
don't as far as anyone knows have a good
home, nor the means to take the cats to
a vet. -- So don't jump to conclusions.

Then don't expect us to be mindreaders. You didn't say that in your
original post and I don't think you really know anything about who took
them or you would have put it in your original post. This sounds more to
me like you are angry because you were slow to act and now have no
control over the situation.

And there is still the issue of someone
missing a mother cat who came around
quite quickly to have been alone for
long -- which is point.

Anyone that would allow a cat to remain unspayed, roam and get pregnant
in this day and age does not deserve to have the cat.

When trying to "help" someone who comes
here -- don't make assumptions!

When asking for help don't be so rude.

Old October 12th 03, 02:52 AM
Cat Protector

I think you are just ****ed because someone came in and decided the cats
needed and deserved a good and loving home. It seems you have a problem with
control and doing what is in the best interest of the cats. Why not just be
happy and hope the person who took the cats has given them a better life.
You also might want to consider the fact the person who took them is
involved with animal rescue and discovered the cats when you weren't around
or they also were picked up by someone who though they were strays (which
they were by your description of the situation) and brought them to a
shelter. Get over your control issue and let it go.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
t...