Arrgh week from hell!!

Old October 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

Default Arrgh week from hell!! UPDATE

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:13:05 +0000, meeee wrote:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles and
looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little darling
atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right little lap
fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but is still
looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep pumping
electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers. So
everything's good (except for the rent....not looking forward to calling the
landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also really like this vet, a lot
more animal oriented than profit oriented like my usual vet...so I think a
swap-a-roo is in order. he also early desexes which is great!! All the other
vets in cairns refuse, for the stupid old fashioned reasons, to desex before
6 months. And he only charged me $165 for a bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a
bottle of anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and the sunday appointment.
Considering every other vet here was charging $150 just to examine on
sundays, this meant I could actually afford the meds for her. I might have
to swap to program from revolution if that's the case; i don't want this
happening again!! And thanks for the tip barB, the only outbreak I've had on
me is where they played abseiling down my back. Ouchies!!
Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it. I'm
trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.

Purrs for continued improvement. MLB

Old October 23rd 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BarB

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:13:05 GMT, "meeee"
wrote:

The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers.

Please do not give Grisofulvin to a kitten who is already sick. It
can cause liver damage according to the vets I read. You are going to
feel terrible if you kill the kitten to cure ringworm that's going to
cure itself in time.

BarB

Quote http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cringwrm.html
Griseofulvin (Fulvicin Rx) does sometimes cause liver damage and it
can cause birth defects if used in a pregnant cat or dog. It stops
the contagiousness of ringworm pretty quickly, though. It is also the
most likely medication to work in resistant cases (those that aren't
going to clear up on their own). Due to these benefits we use
griseofulvin for the treatment of confirmed cases of ringworm in our
practice. So far we have only had to withdraw it in two or three
cases. None of our patients died but it would have been better if we
hadn't given them a medication that made them sick. This is where
analyzing the "risk/benefit" ratio comes in --- most of the time it
is better to use griseofulvin. It is just necessary to be careful and
to consider the possibility that side effects will occur.
Report any changes in temperament, appetite or general health to your
vet.

BarB

Old October 23rd 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Hi Barb,

yes, I am aware of this, however this is not ringworm that will clear up
easily; all the kittens have it, and I discussed the liver damage risk with
the vet; he said in his opinion the kittens are old enough to handle it, and
he said he's never heard of significant problems with the drug, provided
it's used correctly. With the number of cats I have, we agreed to use it as
there is no way I'll be able to get rid of the ringworm without it.
. earthlink.net...