Another Basho update

Old March 24th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default Another Basho update

still purring, Lee
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christine Burel wrote:
I hope this helps. Meanwhile purrs continuing - hang in there.

Thank you very much everybody for all the advise, I really appreciate it.
Today's stabbing went much smoother, I made sure the fluids were body
temperature and we grabbed Basho while he was sleeping on a fluffy bed.
I'll ask about an appetite stimulant, I'll also stop by the pet store to
get a variety of foods to try. Basho is an extremely picky eater and he
hates all the super premium (human-grade ingredients) foods,
unfortunately.
I ordered a case of fluids and a box of better quality syringes (thanks
Sharon for the links) on the internet today. Even with a hefty shipping
charge, the supplies are 1/10th of what the vet charges.
If we can get Basho to eat more, I think we're going to be ok, but keep
those purrs coming. I know they make all the difference.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 24th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Went to TED this morning. Kidney values aren't getting worse, but
they're not getting better either and are still above normal. He got
sub-Q fluids at the clinic and some potassium pills because his levels
are low. We're supposed to give him fluids once a day and monitor his
behavior. If he does not get worse, we'll be back at TED next week for
a checkup. Basho is not touching the renal diet and he doesn't have
much of an appetite. Will try more foods to find one he likes. Or
should I be force-feeding him with a syringe? I think that's what two
of you recommended.

Try to be a little more patient and allow the sub-Q fluids a few days to
work. Cats with newly diagnosed CRF are often very dehydrated before it's
noticed they are ill and dehydration really puts them off their food.
I consider I have a little experience as we've been struggling with KFC's
CRF for quite a while now and her appetite is certainly a challenge.

She was on a renal diet when she was first diagnosed but would only eat it
for about two weeks. They try to make it palatable but I don't think it
is, particularly, and palatability is very important for a CRF kitty as
their appetite is shot.
Certainly try him with different foods you think he will like, he will
probably have to be fed separately from the others from now on or they
will scarf his more delicious meal rather than their own.
You may end up feeding him roast chicken like I did with KFC but now she
is actually back eating cat food which I thought would never happen.

Kitty is not on sub-Q as the vets are not keen on us doing it ourselves
but she drinks a rehydration fluid instead of water which I make up myself
from a recipe I had (vets approval) - apparently just the same as you can
buy for $$$$. If you'd like the recipe for it, just ask. I find it
really helps her.

I would try not to syringe feed him quite yet. That's a last resort
really. Give it a little time with the sub-Q first and see if his appetite
picks up. If not we can think again. He will be OK even if only picks at
his food for a while. Expect him to lose weight, CRF cats always do (and
dogs) as their kidneys excrete protein.
If I can help you at all, please ask.

Well that post was pretty pointless. Remind me not to bother.

Old March 25th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:32:24 -0700 (PDT), Victor Martinez
wrote:

Went to TED this morning. Kidney values aren't getting worse, but
they're not getting better either and are still above normal. He got
sub-Q fluids at the clinic and some potassium pills because his levels
are low. We're supposed to give him fluids once a day and monitor his
behavior. If he does not get worse, we'll be back at TED next week for
a checkup. Basho is not touching the renal diet and he doesn't have
much of an appetite. Will try more foods to find one he likes. Or
should I be force-feeding him with a syringe? I think that's what two
of you recommended.

Victor

Purrs on the way for Basho to get better.

- Robert Heinlein