To or Not to

Old October 20th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Default To or Not to

"dgk" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:53:42 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

The pro declaw person no comment except let me go get a surgeon to
remove
your nails it is a surgical procedure and see how you feel for the rest
of
your life.

Except, as we all know, it isn't just the nails. It is the amputation
of the last joint.

I was trying to be a little kind

Old October 20th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

The pro declaw person no comment except let me go get a surgeon to
remove
your nails it is a surgical procedure and see how you feel for the rest
of
your life.

Except, as we all know, it isn't just the nails. It is the amputation
of the last joint.

I was trying to be a little kind

Why not save it for those who deserve it?

Old October 20th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"cybercat" wrote in message

wrote:

The pro declaw person no comment except let me go get a surgeon to
remove
your nails it is a surgical procedure and see how you feel for the rest
of
your life.

Except, as we all know, it isn't just the nails. It is the amputation
of the last joint.

I was trying to be a little kind

Why not save it for those who deserve it?

I was it was for us not the ignorant poster

Old October 20th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

It amazes me that Barry actually thinks it is okay to let his UNSPAYED
BLACK cat get outside right before Halloween. It's beyond negligence.
He has had one cat ripped apart by dogs in that very yard.

She's probably at greater risk of getting knocked up than killed, but I
totally agree.

And he just casually posts about discovering she has been getting
out, like "haha, isn't she tricky." Then when I get upset about the
danger she is in, he has to make it an ego issue, something about
HIM and criticizing HIM.

**** him.

It is about a little black cat.

He could keep her safe and he is choosing not to.

"The dogs might not come back" is good enough for
Barry.

It tells me something about his character that I will not forget.

This is not a person to be trusted--with ANYTHING.

Old October 20th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Matthew wrote:
The pro declaw person no comment except let me go get a surgeon to remove
your nails it is a surgical procedure and see how you feel for the rest of
your life.

You know, Matthew, it isn't even close. I've removed human toenails
for many years, heh, sorry I know that sounds gross, but the only
tissue disrupted is the nail bed which soon heals and carries on.

We do not, however, when we do it, pull out the first bone right
up to the first knuckle.

--tension

Old October 20th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Matthew wrote:
Barry does every thing for a reason

So do serial murderers.

there is a method to his madness. I to
also agree always keep cats indoors specially a black cat. But there is a
reason he is doing what he does I won't jump the gun or draw conclusions
till I know both sides.

There's absolutely no justification for allowing an intact female to
roam - none.

-L.

Old October 21st 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Zippy

tension_on_the_wire wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The pro declaw person no comment except let me go get a surgeon to remove
your nails it is a surgical procedure and see how you feel for the rest of
your life.

You know, Matthew, it isn't even close. I've removed human toenails
for many years, heh, sorry I know that sounds gross, but the only
tissue disrupted is the nail bed which soon heals and carries on.

We do not, however, when we do it, pull out the first bone right
up to the first knuckle.

--tension

1. We had our lovely female cat de-clawed & I said "never again."
2. Then we adopted another lady cat who was also de-clawed.
3. Now we have adopted a precocious male kitten who at 8 months, rules
the roost & terrorizes the "girls."
I trim his claws but cannot bring myself to have them removed. I hope
that after his neutering that he will calm down & stop annoying the
ladies. The growls & fights are awful!
What say you?

Old October 21st 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Zippy" wrote
1. We had our lovely female cat de-clawed & I said "never again."
2. Then we adopted another lady cat who was also de-clawed.
3. Now we have adopted a precocious male kitten who at 8 months, rules
the roost & terrorizes the "girls."
I trim his claws but cannot bring myself to have them removed. I hope
that after his neutering that he will calm down & stop annoying the
ladies. The growls & fights are awful!
What say you?

Thank you for not declawing him. Like you, I did this to my first cat
and said, "Never again." I was really young and did no know what
it entailed, and when I took her in to get spayed, the vet offered it
like it was nothing. I actually thought just her CLAWS were removed,
meaning the nails only. When I got her back and saw the mutilation I
had allowed I felt sicker than I ever have since.

If you trim your baby boy's claws every month, he should be fine.
Your girls can take care of themselves--they have back claws and
teeth. (In fact, declawed cats tend to become biters--mine did.)
Cats have to work out dominance issues on their own.

If you really think someone might get hurt, you should separate
them, but I don't think there is anything else you can really do.

Old October 21st 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Zippy wrote:

1. We had our lovely female cat de-clawed & I said "never again."
2. Then we adopted another lady cat who was also de-clawed.
3. Now we have adopted a precocious male kitten who at 8 months, rules
the roost & terrorizes the "girls."
I trim his claws but cannot bring myself to have them removed. I hope
that after his neutering that he will calm down & stop annoying the
ladies. The growls & fights are awful!
What say you?

No need to do it again, just because of the first two. The odds
are still even, since they are older and experienced and can
look after themselves just fine with him.

Just remember any circumstances with a bratty little brother
and big, sensible older sisters and how *annoyed* they can
be when he torments them as little brothers are wont to do!!
They'll give him whatfor sooner or later and it will all sort itself
out. We are going through that here too...and they always
each find their spot in the pecking order.

Make sure to get him neutered early, that too will hopefully
curb some aggressive tendencies in his behaviour, and it
should be fine at that point.

--tension

Old October 21st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Zippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
tension_on_the_wire wrote:
Matthew wrote:
[...]

Neutering should help although he probably should have neutered younger. He
might settle down as he gets older, too. They're pretty wild at that age.
Do you have areas where your other cats can get away from him, at least for
part of the time? I would NOT declaw him--that would be cruel and I don't
think it would help his aggression either.