Help me my kitten wont drink and he sleeps all the time

Old October 22nd 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Help me my kitten wont drink and he sleeps all the time

On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Rhonda wrote:
wrote:
I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
help everyone.Yay! That sounds very positive. That's terrific that he feels well

enough to eat. I hope he's over the hump now and will keep feeling better.

I agree with cybercat, you did a great job of helping your cat. I don't
know how old you are, but I'm impressed with your compassion. That was
very touching that you were worried enough about your kitty that you
couldn't sleep and you stayed up with him.

Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda and CyberCat I'll make a new discussion everyday about
how he is doing with the antibiotics.

Oh and I'm 14

Old October 22nd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 21, 4:28 pm, wrote:
On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Rhonda wrote:

wrote:
[...]

There are some videos of my kitten Clyde but I dont know how I can put
them up here but I really want to put them up I'll try. Sorry for not
saying his name earlier but yes it is Clyde.

h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = x Y R x a
2 E 9 U b k
without spaces sorry its hard to get to

Old October 22nd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?

Rhonda

I dunno, are all these ingredients healthy for kittens? see
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/pedialyte_o...olution.ht ml

My concern was that the OP appeared to be experimenting with the kitten's
food and drink without having any (apparent) idea of what she was doing. A
safer approach for an ill kitten is
(1) see a vet
Until then,
(2) stick to foods & drink that are made for kittens, or human foods that
are known to be safe for kittens (such as the pure pumpkin I mentioned).

That's why I provided some links for information about the care of kittens.
It's dangerous to assume anything that works for humans will work for
animals. For example, some treatments that work great in dogs are deadly to
cats. Or think about tylenol, onion, many plants and cats.

I did some research (googled "pedialyte electrolytes for kittens") and found
several recipes that used pedialyte electrolytes for kittens in combination
with other products. I'll provide that link here and hope that the recipes
are actually safe for kittens in the quantities given, but I have no way of
knowing.
http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

It is possible to "kill a young animal with kindness".

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Pampered refugees from the Xenaverse

Old October 22nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?

Rhonda

I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post) and
she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He said
as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there are no
pet alternatives) they are fine to use.

Old October 22nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"meeee" wrote in message

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That's good to know. I should have done the research online before I
posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew for
sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe old
age and having few ailments.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Escapees from the Xenaverse

Old October 22nd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"meeee" wrote in message

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It's always nice when that happens!! Yes, you're absoluetly right; it's
downright silly to try and use hoomin meds on cats; can have nasty results
if you use the wrong thing, or even too much of the right thing.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

meeee wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

Gail Futoran wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Thanks for posting. Electrolytes to a kitten who wasn't drinking didn't
sound like a bad idea to me... I know I've given it to a sick rabbit,
but I thought about it later and we did give it to a failing old cat
during her last few months.

I hope your kitten is doing well.

Rhonda

Old October 22nd 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Gail Futoran wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

Gail Futoran wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Yes, I agree getting the kitten to the vet is the most important, but I
think for a 14 year old taking responsibility for a sick kitten, she was
pretty smart about his care until she could get to the vet.

Rhonda

Old October 22nd 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:
"meeee" wrote in ...

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
egroups.com...

I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?

Rhonda

I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there
are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.That's good to know. I should have done the research online before I

posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew for
sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe old
age and having few ailments.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Escapees from the Xenaverse

Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.

Old October 22nd 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

I wish I could give you a big high 5 for your work with this kitten. Sorry
I arrived a little late in the discussion. I am glad you took the kitten in
and did not hesitate to listen to the other posters advice.

Just be careful with the syringe real easy to push it in the throat to far

I know I can say this for the group We want pictures

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran"
wrote: