Help me my kitten wont drink and he sleeps all the time

Old October 22nd 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Help me my kitten wont drink and he sleeps all the time

On Oct 21, 11:29 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
I wish I could give you a big high 5 for your work with this kitten. Sorry
I arrived a little late in the discussion. I am glad you took the kitten in
and did not hesitate to listen to the other posters advice.

Just be careful with the syringe real easy to push it in the throat to far

I know I can say this for the group We want pictures

wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran"
wrote
"meeee" wrote in

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
egroups.com...

I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really
hope
he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?

Rhonda

I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus.
there
are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.That's good to know. I
should have done the research online before I
posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew
for
sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe
old
age and having few ailments.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Escapees from the Xenaverse

Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.

Sorry Rhonda but... i'm not a girl but anyway thanks Matthew I put a
video link up a little before you just need to take all of the spaces
out of it.

Old October 22nd 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

http://tinylink.com/?PfqjuC3Uts

I shortened it for everyone

What a cutie congratulations on your new master

ups.com...

Old October 22nd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Rhonda" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

Gail Futoran wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Thanks for posting. Electrolytes to a kitten who wasn't drinking didn't
sound like a bad idea to me... I know I've given it to a sick rabbit, but
I thought about it later and we did give it to a failing old cat during
her last few months.

I hope your kitten is doing well.

Rhonda

Thanks, she's doing much better...and I checked the packet, yes it is
pedialyte I'm giving her. She doesn't like the orange flavour though, I
wonder if it comes in liver?? lol! I am also getting a sample of something
called 'dogade' this week, it's an electrolyte thing for dogs, so I'm going
to have a look and check with my vet, it might prove to be a more
cat-palatable option, as it's a doggy flavoured electrolyte solution,
designed to prevent dehydration in dogs who live in hot climates/work/race
etc. I'll let you guys know if it looks good and works better than
pedialyte. Ie. if she will drink it instead of me trying to squirt it down
her throat, her inhaling half and spitting half out on me, eventually
swallowing enough to justify the whole ordeal, then being wet and
unimpressed with life.

Old October 22nd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

You're doing wonderfully flare!! Congrats on your new friend, that is a
great video, and clyde is an adorable little thing!! Here's to you and your
kitty enjoying life together!!

"Matthew" wrote in message
.. .
http://tinylink.com/?PfqjuC3Uts

I shortened it for everyone

What a cutie congratulations on your new master

ups.com...