cat licks soap dish

Old October 21st 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default cat licks soap dish

From: "-L."
wrote:
our cat licks the soap in the soap dish. is this a sign of serious
illness or just cat insanity?

The cat is seeking the salt that is in the soap. What are you feeding
it?

fancy feast (moist) trout, tuna, chicken, salmon, turkey.
friskies (moist) tuna and chicken
whiskas (dry) meat-flavored in a separate dish

he gets a varied mix so he doesn't get bored with one flavor or another
and he has a large water dish next to his food plate that is changed daily
with fresh, cold water. since he's a stray (about 1-2 years old and very
playful) we don't know his history. he doesn't spray or want to roam so we
think he's spayed. we can't afford vet bills on our pension so we thought
we would ask here.

tia
Old October 22nd 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

From: "-L."
wrote:
our cat licks the soap in the soap dish. is this a sign of serious
illness or just cat insanity?

The cat is seeking the salt that is in the soap. What are you feeding
it?

fancy feast (moist) trout, tuna, chicken, salmon, turkey.

I would get away from the fish-flavored varieties. They are high in
mercury, among other things.

friskies (moist) tuna and chicken
whiskas (dry) meat-flavored in a separate dish

I would also buy a dry chow that is more nutritious than Whiskas, and
one that isn't chocked full of dyes like Whiskas is. Even Purina One
is a better choice - they make a Natural Blends formula where the first
ingredient is chicken.
(
http://www.naturalblends.com/nat_cat_chick_info.asp) You want pure
meat (not by-products or any grain) to be the first ingredient in any
chow you buy.

Better than that, an all-canned diet is really best for cats. That
being said, I can't wean my own guys off chow - they've eaten it far
too long.

he gets a varied mix so he doesn't get bored with one flavor or another
and he has a large water dish next to his food plate that is changed daily
with fresh, cold water. since he's a stray (about 1-2 years old and very
playful) we don't know his history. he doesn't spray or want to roam so we
think he's spayed. we can't afford vet bills on our pension so we thought
we would ask here.

Good luck with your kitty. I really suggest making the dietary changes
above, as I think it will improve his health, and may curb the desire
for salt.

-L.