cat eating houseplant

Old October 22nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default cat eating houseplant

my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the winter.
He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

Old October 22nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

REMOVE PLANT
Safest bet

What is the plant exactly

Old October 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the
winter.
He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

I don't see fuchsias listed but if it's making him throw up can you find a
place where he can't get to the plants? One of my cats loves fresh (not
dried) catnip but will eat it in quantities that will make him throw up if I
let him.

I found several links--maybe they'll help.

Bonnie

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

http://www.kingstownecatclinic.com/poisonous_plants.htm

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/pr...us_plants.html

Old October 22nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Um, remove the plant. straight away. Vomiting is never good. And ask your
vet!! Common sense, people....cat eats plant, cat vomits= poisonous plant
and sick cat. I love fuschias too, butthey live on the doorstep!!

Old October 22nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

I'm happy to report that fuschia is NONTOXIC - I'm still going to keep my
eyes out though. I'm going to try to put the plants somewhere he can't get
to them.

Thanks for the links - they were really helpful.

Old October 23rd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:20:38 GMT, "meeee"
wrote:

Phew that's a relief!! It's also annoying to have your plants chewed

my kitten has destroyed all of my houseplants. *sigh*

Anyway, the plant may not be listed as toxic, but it's obviously not good
for your cat ( vomiting). Perhaps you can put the plant under a milk
crate or something similar so your cat cannot get to it?

- Lynne
Old October 23rd 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin

"meeee" wrote in
:

Phew that's a relief!! It's also annoying to have your plants chewed

Reminds me of a kitten I had. One day I was in the living room and
eventually noticed there had been a swoosh, swoosh, swoosh sound happening
in the kitchen. When I got there, I found him in the plant which was on top
of the cabinets, digging to the bottom, sending the earth flying throughout
the kitchen. No more plants after that!

Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html