From Flippy : Easter Lillies Are Toxic to Pets OT

Old March 18th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Kyla =^..^=

Default From Flippy : Easter Lillies Are Toxic to Pets OT

Kyla here,

I subscribe to Flippy's mailing list and got this in my Outlook e-mail
today,

and felt the NEED to share it with you.

***here's what Flippy sent me***

Hi all,

Coming up to Easter I just wanted to remind you of the holiday hazards to
our kitties, especially Easter lilies.

Eating just one leaf of a toxic lily can result in severe poisoning, and
within a short time your cat will exhibit signs of toxicity. The primary
toxic effects are on the kidneys. Within minutes to hours of ingesting part
of the lily plant, your cat might stop eating and begin vomiting. As the
toxin begins to affect the kidneys, the cat will become lethargic. Finally,
he will experience kidney failure and death will generally occur within five
days.

For info visit this page: http://www.flippyscatpage.com/health.html and look
under EASTER LILIES.

Please be safe, and keep your beloved pets safe too.

Purrs to all,

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.

Email:

Catpage:
http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Please consider helping to keep the catpage online:

Cat Stuff: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/kittystuff/

Books: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/books/

Other Items: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/otheritems/

Donate: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/donate.html

To leave this mailing list, reply to this email and

put the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

To join this mailing list, please visit this page:

THANK YOU FLIPPY

Big Hug

Kyla

Old March 18th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Adrian[_2_]

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
[...]

*All* lilies are toxic, especially to cats. If a cat gets lily pollen on its
fur and then licks it off it can be fatal.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 18th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
jmcquown[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
Kyla here,

I subscribe to Flippy's mailing list and got this in my Outlook
e-mail today,

and felt the NEED to share it with you.

***here's what Flippy sent me***

Hi all,

Coming up to Easter I just wanted to remind you of the holiday
hazards to our kitties, especially Easter lilies.

THANK YOU FLIPPY

Big Hug

Kyla

*All* lilies are toxic, especially to cats. If a cat gets lily pollen
on its fur and then licks it off it can be fatal.

Yep, there are lots of other plants that are toxic to cats, too. Can't be
too careful.

Jill

Old March 19th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Kyla =^..^=

"jmcquown"
Adrian wrote:
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
Kyla here,

I subscribe to Flippy's mailing list and got this in my Outlook
e-mail today,

and felt the NEED to share it with you.

***here's what Flippy sent me***

Hi all,

Coming up to Easter I just wanted to remind you of the holiday
hazards to our kitties, especially Easter lilies.

THANK YOU FLIPPY

Big Hug

Kyla

*All* lilies are toxic, especially to cats. If a cat gets lily pollen
on its fur and then licks it off it can be fatal.

Yep, there are lots of other plants that are toxic to cats, too. Can't be
too careful.

Jill

I have a lousy green thumb and only have silk plant sround. And the Cats
are indoor cats, so no worries about them eating something bad outside.

Kyla

Old March 20th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
mc

I really hate to break this to you guys...

These are what are referred to as "urban legends"... you know... the
same sort of stories, but to a lesser degree than the stories you
heard about as a youngster where the boyfriend leaves the car and the
girlfriend hears a scraping sound on the car door all night... only to
find a hook in the car door in the morning...

Or how about the one about the roller coaster? Someone rides on a
roller coaster and stands up and their head is lopped off!? Remember
that one? Did it happen? Maybe, maybe, maybe somewhere, someplace...
But no one really seems to know for sure... but it sure makes for a
good story and retelling year after year after year after year after
year after year... well... you get the point.

See what I am saying?

You cannot believe everything you hear via email or word of mouth. You
simply MUST take on some research for yourself instead of blindly
believing everything that is syrup fed to you.

While it is true that it is better to err with caution, it is not a
good idea to be swayed by every untruth you hear.

For example, MOST people believe that the Christmas plant, the
poinsettia, is poisonous.

The poinsettia is NOT a poisonous plant, but yet many resources still,
to this day claim that it is.

URBAN LEGENDS are beautiful things.

I will tell you this. We had this beautiful lop eared chinchilla bunny
who happened to get pregnant. While she was nursing her beautiful
babies she consumed approximately one half of a very large poinsettia
plant my sister had placed inside our house.

I was beside myself. I KNEW those babies were not going to have a Mom
soon and I wasn't at all sure that I would be able to be as good a Mom
to those babies as she had been! She was so beautiful and I loved her
so!

Well, I waited, and waited and waited for her to become sick. Guess
what? She never did get sick! What a joke! After that little episode I
was to do a little bit of an investigation into the magnificent
poinsettia plant to find that they are not really poisonous plants at
all, as is their reputation.

Now all of this occurred quite a few years ago... lets see... more
than fifteen years ago now, and I still hear, quite often, this
fallacy that poinsettias are poisonous.

They are not, just for the record. I did my research. Now I know.

Easter plants are not known to be poisonous either. Not at all... YOU
might just want to do a bit of research yourself and check into
whether or not these plants are in fact poisonous and remember about
the Urban Legends.

I can tell you that my cats are always very fascinated with my Easter
Lillies but they have never harmed one of my cats.

Old March 20th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

The only plant I ever knew made a cat sick was Lilly of the Valley and that
may have been more because of the amount consumed than the plant. My cats
and dogs have always munched on my plants, and I have many. This year the
cats consumed all the leaves off two hibiscus tress that I bought in for the
winter. New ones are growing but I covered them with netting this time
around.

Old March 20th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
22brix

"mc" wrote in message
[...]

I agree about poinsettias but I gotta disagree about lillies--they are
listed as extremely poisonous on every list that I have seen--including
animal poison control hotlines. I love lillies, I grow lillies but they
either stay on the plant outdoors or take them as bouquets. I know I don't
want to take a chance with my cats. There are too many other non-toxic
plants that I can enjoy and the cats can, too!

Bonnie

Old March 20th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
jmcquown[_2_]

"22brix" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
I really hate to break this to you guys...

These are what are referred to as "urban legends"... you know... the
same sort of stories, but to a lesser degree than the stories you
heard about as a youngster where the boyfriend leaves the car and the
girlfriend hears a scraping sound on the car door all night... only to
find a hook in the car door in the morning...

I agree about poinsettias but I gotta disagree about lillies--they are
listed as extremely poisonous on every list that I have seen--including
animal poison control hotlines. I love lillies, I grow lillies but they
either stay on the plant outdoors or take them as bouquets. I know I
don't want to take a chance with my cats. There are too many other
non-toxic plants that I can enjoy and the cats can, too!

Bonnie

Indeed, lilies are definitely poisonous to cats so don't lump them on the
"urban legend" list. Poinsettias are toxic but the toxins are in the seeds
and the toxicity level is low. Also not a good idea to let unsupervised
children - or really stupid adults -munch on them.

And it's not just house plants. People food. If you *must* feed people
food to your pets, don't give them things containing onions. While dogs are
more sensitive to it than cats, there is a level of toxicity to both. It
might not kill them but could make them very sick, so why take the chance?
Did you know avocado is lethal to a lovebird?

You can get a list of toxic plants and foodstuffs from most vets or the
local version of the Humane Society or even most large garden centers that
sells plants. You can't just label everything an "urban legend" without
doing research.

Jill

Old March 20th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Sherry

On Mar 20, 5:17*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"22brix" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

That's right. Nearly everyone is aware that poinsetties are toxic, but
the truth is,
there are LOTS of plants much more toxic than poinsetties. It
surprised me to read that. I should know immediately which ones are
bad, besides lilies, but I can't remember them all...it's a good idea
to look at the list occasionally.
All my cats are totally uninterested in eating plants, except for
problemchild Bosley, who generally always breaks the mold.

Sherry
Old March 20th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Jack Campin - bogus address

mc wrote:
I can tell you that my cats are always very fascinated with my Easter
Lillies but they have never harmed one of my cats.

We don't know who you are but we do know who the veterinary science
departments at Purdue University, the University of Michigan and the
University of Pennsylvania are (to pick some references at random
that you get by googling "easter lily toxicity").

http://www.michvet.com/library/emerg...y_toxicity.asp

**** off and die.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====