OT someplace expensive

Old April 17th 11, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT someplace expensive

Joy wrote:
"Kraut / Larry Stark" wrote in message
My wife said "Honey, take me someplace expensive." I took her to the
gas station!

That's no joke. When I got my first Corolla, I could fill it from empty
for $10. Now it takes $30 to fill it when it's already a quarter full.

Joy

How many of the rest of you remember way back to the 1960's, when they
predicted gas prices were likely to rise to sixty-cents a gallon, and
people were saying "no one will ever be willing to pay that much!"?

I was too young to pay attention to gas prices in the 60's but I remember
the "energy crisis" of the early 70's. Gas jumped from 35 cents a gallon to
over a dollar per gallon in a matter of weeks. My best friend drove us to
school in a Ford Pinto (remember the car that caught fire if there was a
rear-end collision?!). I'd give her a couple of bucks every week for gas.
Didn't take long before I was giving her $5 a week.

Jill

Old April 17th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Apr 16, 6:59*am, Kraut / Larry Stark wrote:
My wife said "Honey, take me someplace expensive." I took her to the
gas station!

LOL!!!!

It's getting expensive over here and once again I am glad I don't
drive although of course the rise in transport costs ultimately leads
onto increased food costs and they are getting ridiculous- I went to
the shops this morning all I needed was potatoes, sausages, a small
tin of baked beans, a tin of soup, 4 bread rolls, a jar of coffee and
some wet cat food pouches I also picked up 4 yohghurts from a special
offer as I like to have something as a treat when I take lunch into
work....and this came to over £15!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 17th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joy wrote:
"Kraut / Larry Stark" wrote in message
My wife said "Honey, take me someplace expensive." I took her to the
gas station!

That's no joke. When I got my first Corolla, I could fill it from
empty for $10. Now it takes $30 to fill it when it's already a
quarter full.

Joy

How many of the rest of you remember way back to the 1960's, when they
predicted gas prices were likely to rise to sixty-cents a gallon, and
people were saying "no one will ever be willing to pay that much!"?

I remember when gas was 15 cents a gallon. People bought a gallon at a
time, if they had 15cents. MLB
Old April 18th 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 17, 9:04*am, "jmcquown" wrote:

Joy wrote:
"Kraut / Larry Stark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I remember the long lineups at the gas stations in the early 70's.
Old April 18th 11, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Joy wrote:
[...]

***

Oh, yes. I remember that too. I was working for a lawyer at that time.
One day he sent me out to gas up his car for him.

Joy

Old April 24th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"jmcquown" wrote:

So whatever happened in the U.S. to the idea of
driving smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles?!

Unlike most people at the time, I was rooting for OPEC to keep their act
together and keep the lid on the oil supply. When they failed and the
price of gasoline and heating oil plummeted, it was bad luck that we had
just elected an administration that had no sense of the future
whatsoever. It would have been so easy -- and virtually painless at
that point -- to slap a hefty tax on all oil production and importation,
sufficient to keep prices up. We would by now be driving 100-mpg cars,
have far better mass transportation, and be heating/cooling our
well-insulated houses primarily from non-fossil sources.
--

Wayne M.
Old April 24th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"jmcquown" wrote

Here's what I don't understand. After the gasoline shortage/"energy
crisis" in the early 1970's, when gas prices jumped so drastically, all
the talk and direction pointed towards driving economy cars. Downsizing.
Driving something practical. Now I can't go to the grocery store without
parking next to a huge SUV or a 4-door pickup truck with an extended cab.
Don't tell me it doesn't cost $80 to fill the tank in those things. Not
to mention I can't see [oncoming traffic] to safely back out of a parking
space.

Well it's a long story and Hopitus is part of the type that causes the
danger.

See, I have a regular Nissan. Had Ford before but this one came to us as we
moved back stateside. I live in a big city with all that comes with that.
Accidents and such are quite common.

The big truck/SUV walks away. They also are unaware that because of their
size, normal cars can't see around them well and some of the SUV drivers and
definately the 'hopped up trucks' follow waaay to close. One of the first
things they teach you in driver safety classes here, is try to be as far as
possible from the hopped up rigs and SUV drivers. The next thing if you
can't get away, is leave at least 4 car lengths between you and the car
infront because they can't stop fast (normally they are tailgating) so you
need to stop 'slowly' to give them a change before they crush the back of
your car.

A Hopped up truck or SUV that can see over me, isnt safer for me. It means
they probably are paying less attention to my car and that leads to
accidents.

Old April 25th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I drive a 2-door Hyundai hatchback.

What year is that car, Jill? I'm thinking that for my next car, I'm
going to buy a hatchback. I miss them - they were so convenient. I
have no need for a huge car or a pickup truck, but sometimes I want
to transport something that's a bit bigger than can fit in my Toyota
sedan. Such as (Arthur will probably be horrified at this, as will
Helen S, if she's still around) my bicycle. Not having an easy way
to take my bike to good place for riding has been a big disincentive
to riding.

I don't need a new car immediately, but since mine has over 200K
miles on it, I probably will need one in the next year or two.

How do you like it? Hyundai used to have a terrible reputation, but
I hear it's better now.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
Old April 25th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

I drive a 2-door Hyundai hatchback.

What year is that car, Jill? I'm thinking that for my next car, I'm
going to buy a hatchback. I miss them - they were so convenient. I
have no need for a huge car or a pickup truck, but sometimes I want
to transport something that's a bit bigger than can fit in my Toyota
sedan. Such as (Arthur will probably be horrified at this, as will
Helen S, if she's still around) my bicycle. Not having an easy way
to take my bike to good place for riding has been a big disincentive
to riding.

I don't need a new car immediately, but since mine has over 200K
miles on it, I probably will need one in the next year or two.

How do you like it? Hyundai used to have a terrible reputation, but
I hear it's better now.

Joyce

Mine is a 2002 Accent GS (bought in early 2003). I love it!!!!! I've only
had one problem with it (but I can't speak for any Hyundai dealership other
than that one). This was shortly after I bought it. I came home from work
one day and noticed my brake lights were still on. Odd, I'm not in the car,
I'm standing behind it. LOL I futzed with it a bit to no avail. It was
almost 5:00 - the time when the dealership closed. I knew I couldn't leave
it like that or the battery would die. I called the service department and
explained the problem. They said come on over. They waited for me 30
minutes after closing time! Turned out the switch under the brake pedal had
somehow broken. They said obviously I couldn't wait the three days it would
take to get the part in, so they "stole" one off a car on the sales lot!
Got me fixed right up. What service!

The back seat folds down to extend the trunk room. That would work great
for your bike. (I have a friend who got a new car last year, I forget the
make, I think it was a Honda or a Nissan, and she was stunned to find the
back seat doesn't fold down!) There's also stretch cargo netting in the
trunk (removeable) in case you're transporting something you don't want
rolling around back there.

It gets excellent gas mileage and even making the 700 mile drive to SC it
was a very comfortable ride. They aren't expensive, either. I just checked
their web site and it looks like the price has pretty much held steady since
I bought mine. A big plus! I'll definitely buy another Hyundai when I'm in
the market for a new car.

Jill