OT - Opera

Old August 22nd 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default OT - Opera

On 22/08/2011 4:45 PM, CatNipped wrote:
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking.

snip

A friend dragged me along to see a local, amateur, production of 'La
Traviata' because I had similarly pooh-poohed opera and she thought I
needed an education in 'culcha' - since she paid for the ticket, I
really couldn't say 'no' (and besides, and night out is welcome these
days). I was prepared to 'politely sit through it' for the sake of my
friend, but wasn't expecting to get much out of it.

I entered entirely skeptical.

I left sobbing.

Never again will I trash opera.

Its still not my music of choice, but *wow*, an Opera singer can
seriously knock the living daylights out of almost all pop/rock singers
with their skill and talent. And the lady doing the lead, like all of
them, were *amateurs*.

And I say that as a uncultured hick, too.

Although unable to afford it at the moment, I would love to see a
professional rendition at the likes of the opera house.

I have thoroughly changed my mind - and my friend is very pleased with
my 'conversion'. LOL.

Yowie

Old August 22nd 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 22, 5:11*pm, Yowie wrote:
[...]

Neat story! Your experience reminded me of Julia Roberts in "Pretty
Woman". Professional
opera is on my bucket list, too. :-)

Sherry

Old August 23rd 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

When my kids (who were adults at the time) and I were in Vienna, we went to
the local opera house to see "The Magic Flute". I had never seen an opera
before, nor ever wanted to, but when in Mozart's birthplace, it seemed the
thing to do. We enjoyed it very much. Since then I've seen a couple of
operas and enjoyed them too. I'm definitely a drama fan, and that's the
main reason I enjoy them. However, I once heard Pavarotti sing on some TV
show, so I made a point to watch an opera he was in (on TV, which is not
really the way to see opera) just to hear his voice again.

I've always loved Gilbert & Sullivan, but never considered that opera.

Joy

Old August 23rd 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 08/22/2011 05:05 PM, hopitus wrote:
On Aug 22, 4:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

Now that you are of the mind to sit through a pro performance, get
your friend to clue you in
on operatic story of "Madame Butterfly", and arrange to see that one
with her. You will leave
at very least with teary eyes, especially after being filled in on
story, when Cho-Cho-San hits
that high Dflat last note in her aria, you will know why she did. This
is one of the few not in medeival or
older days with weird costumes and dramatic deaths in lovers' arms,
and is my fave. Also a
not ridiculous story like "Carmen" (great music, unbelievable story).
I can't sing and have a record at nearby bar of hospital I last worked
at for speed of driving out
patrons during karaoke hour. I played trumpet badly in high school but
got to travel to Cuba,
south America, Dominica, and all over USA with the band at 16--18. It
never fails to awe and
amaze me to hear and watch music coming out of performers' *throats*
instead of an instrument.
Rock 'n rollers (my fave) don't compare.

IMHO The equipment (*TV, radio, etc) makes any music sound scratchy and
irritating. Back in "the old days" I used to love hearing Lily Pons
sing The Bell Song and operettas were preferred to opera. MLB
Old August 23rd 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 8/22/2011 8:37 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I love G & S - they're classified as comic operettas. There are others -
I saw Die Fledermaus on TV and enjoyed it too. Not all enjoyable singing
and music comes along with suicidal lovers! Of course, 'enjoyable' is a
relative term, and some people don't or can't distinguish between
'Pinafore' and 'Aida'. I think it was some G&S I was playing on the car
cassette player, as it was then, when I picked up a co-worker I was
giving a lift to & From the city at the student residence she'd been
staying at. She'd obviously had a rather late night, and collapsed into
the passenger seat, only to nearly jump through the roof when the music
kicked in, exclaiming 'WHAT is THAT????' I don't think grand opera would
have been recieved any more appreciatively!

As I mentioned before, there are live HD performances (plus some
repeats) in regular movie theatres in various places from the Met and, I
think, from a top UK ballet company (and possibly professionaly
wrestling too). It's always Saturday afternoon here, due to time
differences, and is a bit over twice the cost of a regular movie, but I
manage to get to a couple a year. The local music school puts off some
excerpts and sometimes a scene or two annually, and a local organization
has started bringing people in for workshops - this year they put off
'Dido and Aeneus', which I managed to miss (I've seen it on DVD) and
'The Marriage of Figaro', which was marvellous.

We're very lucky here. We have a LOT of music. Much of it it in various
popular genres with lots of live music in bars and concerts, but there's
lots of other kinds of music played live too.

--
Cheryl
Old August 23rd 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spock-n-Persephone

Default OT - Opera - OOPS Please read before you read the thread!???

You may have more fun listening to bass or bass baritone. E.g. Teddy
Tahu Rhodes, a very talented New Zealander. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0x4nHr-t4U

I don't particularly enjoy listening to sopranos because to my ears it
too often sounds shrill. I am much more able to enjoy lower-register
voices.

Tish
Old August 23rd 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 8/22/2011 8:37 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Oh, yes, 'The Marriage of Figaro' is great! The university my daughter
attended put it on in English while she was there, and I really appreciated
being able to understand the words as well as enjoying the theater and the
music.

Joy

Old August 23rd 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On Aug 22, 4:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

The Bell Song is an amazing demonstration of what the gifted can do
with their
voice. I too am fond of G&S ("stick close to your desks and never go
to sea, and you all may
be the Rulers of the Queen's Navy...'")entertaining and non-tragic
like opera in general.

***

Speaking of G&S, my daughter's music class put it on at her High School, and
she was one of the schoolgirls. The performance was really to-notch, and
Koko, especially, was outstanding! Several years later a local little
theater group put it on and I went to see it. I was amazed and delighted to
see that Koko was played by the same young man who had done it at my
daughter's school.

Joy

Old August 23rd 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Spock-n-Persephone" wrote in message
You may have more fun listening to bass or bass baritone. E.g. Teddy
Tahu Rhodes, a very talented New Zealander.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0x4nHr-t4U

I don't particularly enjoy listening to sopranos because to my ears it
too often sounds shrill. I am much more able to enjoy lower-register
voices.

Tish

I prefer to listen to men's voices too.

To go even further off topic, my late husband sang in a Barbershop quartet.
I love the close harmony of Barbershop. There is a women's organization
that sings the same harmony, but I don't enjoy the women's voices nearly as
much.

Joy

OT - Do you like Phantom of the Opera? Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 April 29th 10 07:24 AM
opera W. Leong Cat community 95 April 11th 06 03:43 PM
Am I living in a Soap Opera? Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 15 March 28th 04 08:50 PM
Cat-Boy and the Opera MacCandace Cat health & behaviour 2 February 8th 04 10:30 PM
"Emergency" purrs for an opera lover? EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 15 November 11th 03 02:11 AM