Help me, guys!! Kitties peeing everywhere!!!

Old August 15th 04, 11:28 AM
Jean Hobbs

Default Help me, guys!! Kitties peeing everywhere!!!

And I am trying to catch up with posts I've missed so I'm sorry if I'm late
answering, but males usually stop spraying when they're neutered dont
they,? I think there are a very few {rare} occasions when a cat will
spray after the Op but few and far between, so are yours fixed? if not
maybe thats your answer hope you get some help anyway there's nothing
worse as far as smells are concerned, good look Jean.P.
PlasmaBat wrote in message
om...
I tried to post this message some time ago, but it never seemed to
show up. So, I'm posting it again!

Guys, I'm in serious need of some help. As you may or may not know, I
am currently owned by 7 kitties. There are 5 from a litter I rescued a
year or so ago, there's the laid-back kitty I found in the same area
as the litter several months later, then there's the kitty my mgr. at
work found under the hood of his van.

4 of the 5 littermates are male. Up until recently, they'd hardly ever
sprayed. Recently, 3 of the 4 are spraying EVERYTHING in EVERY ROOM.
Now, the most recent addition to the family is the "van kitty", a male
grey tabby who's about 2 months old (I've dubbed him Pancake Junior -
as he looks just like his namesake). At first I thought that PJ was
the cause of the sudden onslaught of peeing by the others. But then,
I recalled that this behavoir started about 3 weeks before PJ even
came into the picture.

I've tried many different things, most notably "FeliAway"....nothing
works!!! The kitties just keep on spraying. At first it was in
inconspicuous places. Now, it's on my computer screen, my clothes in
the closet, even over the kitchen sink, I found yesterday to my great
dismay.

Getting rid of the kitties, of course, is not even an option.

Could someone help me out here? I'm seriously thinking of creating
some kind of little kitty diapers for them (I'm sure that'd go over
reeeeeal well)

Mike
(Currently owned by the PlasmaBat Seven)

Old August 15th 04, 07:49 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jean Hobbs wrote:

And I am trying to catch up with posts I've missed so I'm sorry if I'm late
answering, but males usually stop spraying when they're neutered dont
they,?

True, but if you introduce a strange cat into the household, sometimes
both the males amd the females will spray. It's a teritorial thing.

Old August 17th 04, 12:09 AM
James Horn

Neutered males *and* females can indeed spray. Our home had no spraying
problem for many years until we were away for a few weeks and a friend
house sat for us. Unfortunately she didn't scoop or clean the boxes as
requested.

Upon our return we were struck by the strong urine smell in our home. All
the standard fixes were tried (lotsa frequently scrubbed and emptied
boxes, Feliway, etc.) without success. Even the sheetrock started to
soften in spots from the repeated spraying (yuck!).

Finally we:
1) Removed the three worst offenders to their own room,
2) Removed the few thousand square feet of wall-to-wall carpeting and pad,
scraped the subfloor, shellacked it and the bottom 2' of sheetrock with
"Kilz" primer, and put down a laminate floor and
3) Replaced our curtains with vertical blinds.

The Kilz sealed the odor so the cats don't smell it in the walls any more
and leave them alone.

We still have a few sprayings now and then but they appear to be from a
visiting friend's cat who will be leaving shortly.

The office trio - mentioned above - include two who are happy and have
stopped peeing. The third, a Chausie, continues to blast away. He'll be
moving to a fenced outdoor area soon...

We've had no success with Feliway. Removing the source of stress has been
the only solution that worked. If you have a ringleader the others may be
trying to reclaim territory so removing the one can lead to all doing
better.

Good luck to you!

Jim Horn

Old August 17th 04, 12:09 AM
James Horn

[...]

Best Friends' Kitties (LONG) JBHajos Cat anecdotes 12 June 16th 04 09:56 PM
*My* bad kitties Dan M Cat anecdotes 14 April 17th 04 04:51 AM
New Foster Kitties Lisa ^..^ Cat anecdotes 16 March 16th 04 12:57 PM