You CAN declaw with Love

Old July 23rd 03, 02:35 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
please provide a cite please for your assertions. if a cat has behavioral
problems, its not because of declawing. it probably is because of the owner
not the declawing.

All siting done here, with quotes from vets and behavioral scientists.

http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart/nodeclaw.html

There's a reason it's illegal in other countries. Americans care more
for money than their pets.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old July 24th 03, 11:14 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:35:43 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...
please provide a cite please for your assertions. if a cat has behavioral
problems, its not because of declawing. it probably is because of the owner
not the declawing.

All siting done here, with quotes from vets and behavioral scientists.

http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart/nodeclaw.html

There's a reason it's illegal in other countries. Americans care more
for money than their pets.

I believe it can be summed up like this.

USA: I want a pet that I can mould to my way of life.

UK: I want a pet and am happy to change my ways to meet its needs.

--
Bob.

This sentence has exactly six words.
Old July 25th 03, 05:59 PM
bewtifulfreak

I would never declaw my cats now that I've learned more about it, but way
back when, we had our cat declawed because that was the only way they would
allow her in the apartment we were moving into, and we didn't realize at the
time how harmful it was, or that it was actually amputation. I always
thought she did pretty well, all considered, especially because she still
scratches, which I figured helps her to keep her muscles intact. But now I
read it's still not the same as the exercise gained from actually tugging
with the claws during scratching. What kind of personality changes can
declawing cause? She is about 17 now and living with my ex, but I was just
wondering, as she was always a little aloof since having a litter of kittens
(another mistake we made), and has always been a bit distant and prissy, but
I wonder how much the declawing thing may have affected her. It's probably
been about a decade now, give or take, and she seems to be a reasonably
healthy and contented cat, but I was just wondering, as she's the only cat I
ever had that's been declawed, and the only one that ever will be.

Ann

Old July 25th 03, 08:34 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
[...]

Declawing is like russian roulette. It doesn't do permanent damage to
every cat. In fact, more cats deal well with the handicap than not. It
depends on the cat, its personality, the competence of the vet, and
other factors. I've known declawed cats that it didn't hurt at all,
relatively speaking. And I've known declawed cats that were never the
same. The problem is, you never know until it's too late. And you can't
take it back.

As to what can it cause - nothing or everything. The cat may not be
affected at all. The cat may be in pain and become defensive, biting and
hiding. The cat may associate the pain of the normal scraping after
using the litterbox to the box itself and avoid it. The cat may feel
vulnerable and become either more reclusive or more aggressive. It
really depends on the cat. The cat may be fine for months or even years
until the abnormal walking pattern degenerates its joints and muscles.
Cats don't like to show that they are in pain, so the effect humans see
may just be a sedentary, grouchy cat. Rarely, vets do a chop job and
botch the surgery, causing the nails to partially grow through the skin
of the pads. This is one of the worst things that can happen and
thankfully is also not that common. But it happens.

You'll never know if your cat would have had the same personality or
not. I have three clawed cats, one of whom is a prissy, somewhat aloof
girl, the other two are affectionate cuddle monsters.

Old July 28th 03, 05:32 PM
bewtifulfreak

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

By the way, can cats get acne

Feline Acne or other skin conditions can cause these bumps.
http://www.vetinfo.com/cacne.html
http://www.kittencare.com/askKC_Feline_Acne.html

Thanks again, Kaeli, you really are a wealth of information! That sounds
exactly like what she has, cuz she only gets it from time to time, and it's
always under the chin. I'll still encourage the ex to get her checked out,
but you've pretty much put my mind at ease.

Ann

Old July 29th 03, 09:39 PM
bewtifulfreak

"No One But Me" wrote in message

cats can & do get acne on their chins. most of the time a change to

ceramic
bowls or metal bowls for their food & water will clear it right up.

As opposed to plastic, I assume? That's interesting, is it because plastic
holds the germs more or somethng? I know they do tend to scar the plastic
with their teeth sometimes, so I wondered if that was why....anyway, I'll
mention that to the friend that has her, that would be a very easy change
for him to make. Thanks for the info!

Ann

Old July 30th 03, 10:22 PM
No One But Me

i have no idea why this works, but i assume it holds germs or something. the
change cleared up my Morris's chin completely.

news

Old July 31st 03, 03:20 AM
bewtifulfreak

"No One But Me" wrote in message
i have no idea why this works, but i assume it holds germs or something.

the
change cleared up my Morris's chin completely.

That's great, glad to hear it! Thanks again for the info.

Ann

laser declaw question on alt med vet Alison Cat health & behaviour 26 January 13th 04 01:54 AM
My Tribute to Spook KS Cat community 38 October 23rd 03 03:00 AM
Love Calls in the Driveway Bev Cat anecdotes 11 October 17th 03 01:36 AM