Best way to convince kitty to eat wet food?

Old February 21st 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Best way to convince kitty to eat wet food?

NanCe via CatKB.com wrote:
rough road, but I switched him over to all canned. I'd suggest giving
her a high-quality canned diet and skip the renal food. (such as
Wellness or Nature's Variety).

It's irresponsible to say "skip the renal food" without even knowing anything
about this cat's condition! By the way, my sister's 23 year old renal cat is
probably still alive due to being fed renal food for the past 10 years.

NanCe

Why would you feed a cat with kidney failure dry food when it already
needs extra fluids? My point was that it would be better for this cat
to eat a high-quality canned food than a dry food that greatly reduces
its fluid intake?

Rene

Old February 21st 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Why would you feed a cat with kidney failure dry food when it already
needs extra fluids? My point was that it would be better for this cat
to eat a high-quality canned food than a dry food that greatly reduces
its fluid intake?

It would *not* be better for this cat to eat a regular canned food over a dry
renal food. As long as a cat drinks water, a dry food is fine. When it eats
canned food, it drinks less water as canned is 70+% moisture. When it eats
dry, it drinks more water as dry is only 10% moisture. Therefore, as long as
it's water intake is good, dry is fine. Again as an example, my sister's
renal cat has been eating dry renal food for 10 years and she only started
getting canned renal food a couple of years ago, not to increase her water
intake as she is a good drinker, but because she likes canned.

By the way not sure why you suggested Wellness or Nature's Variety instead of
a canned renal food. They are not made for renal disease.

NanCe

Old February 21st 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

She's an 8 year old DSH that, I believe, is highly inbred. I got her from
my hay guy, and she has several issues: missing teeth, poor vision, oddly
shapped legs and head, and her kidneys are about half normal size.

Ah, poor little girl; just makes her sound more lovable though.

Her creatinine is 3.1, down from 3.7, which is down from 3.9. Her
phosphorus levels are low; her calcium levels are slightly elevated. The
creatinine labs are at roughly two week intervals. Initial labs were drawn
prior to a tooth extraction (one dead tooth in a mouthful of nice healthy
ones.) Urine was pulled at the time of the tooth extraction and she was
found to have a raging kidney infection, and we put her on 2 weeks of
Clavimox. Urine collected after the antibiotics showed nothing abnormal.

That's good it's cleared up.

I plan on pulling another set of labs in about a month, to see what
direction we're heading. She's acting more like a normal kitty since we
resolved the kidney infection and added the fluids. I'm not sure how the
food is affecting her, but figure it must be helping her kidneys.

Good idea. Who knows, maybe the numbers will have come down now that the
kidney infection has been resolved. The fluids and food can be helping too.
It'll be interesting to see her numbers next month, bet you can't wait!

NanCe

Old February 21st 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Quoted from
http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional...ry_v_wet_food:
As desert animals, healthy cats do not naturally drink a lot, instead
they obtain moisture from their prey (a mouse, for example, is around
65-70% water); and whilst cats who eat dry food do tend to drink more
than cats fed on wet food, they simply cannot take in as much moisture
overall as a cat fed on tinned food. This was known back in 1986, when
the US Board of Agriculture stated in an article entitled Nutrient
Requirements of Cats.

More recently, an article entitled The carnivore connection to
nutrition in cats (no abstract provided, but the document may be found
here, or here in pdf format) (2002) Zoran D Journal of the American
Veterinary Medical Association 221 pp1559-67 states:
*
"cats eating commercial dry foods will consume approximately half the
amount of water (in their diet and through drinking), compared with
cats eating canned foods... In older cats that tend to produce urine
with a lower concentration, an increase in water consumption becomes
even more important to avoid dehydration and development of prerenal
azotaemia".

Old February 21st 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

yep. Wet food is healthier all the way around. I can see the results of
cutting
out dry food.

Old February 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cats eating commercial dry foods will consume approximately half the
amount of water (in their diet and through drinking), compared with
cats eating canned foods... In older cats that tend to produce urine
with a lower concentration, an increase in water consumption becomes
even more important to avoid dehydration and development of prerenal
azotaemia".

Well, eating dry renal food certainly never hurt my sister's cat; 23 is a
ripe old age and she's still doing fine. If you believe his cat should eat
canned, that's fine, but you didn't suggest a canned renal food to him - you
suggested Wellness or Nature's Recipe. Those were not made for renal disease
and why anyone would suggest them to someone with a cat in possible renal
failure is beyond me.

NanCe

Old February 22nd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rene S. wrote:

"cats eating commercial dry foods will consume approximately half the
amount of water (in their diet and through drinking), compared with
cats eating canned foods... In older cats that tend to produce urine
with a lower concentration, an increase in water consumption becomes
even more important to avoid dehydration and development of prerenal
azotaemia".

....which is why Ginger is getting sub-q fluids She also drinks well.

Corey