My Little Sh*t

Old October 6th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default My Little Sh*t

"Marina" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
For those who don't know, Pearl is a diabetic cat. I've been treating
her since April and she is doing very well on a low carb wet food diet
and Lantus insulin. She is, actually, like having a new cat. Playful,
shiny, trouble............

I came home and I had bought some homemade kolaches which, for those who
don't know, are a yeast roll with a little filling in the center. I got
a cream cheese filling. They were in one of those hard plastic
containers you have to wrench apart to get into. I set it down on the
floor (OK, why, I don't know but I did) and went into the kitchen (right
there off the doorway) to test Pearl and she was a lovely 147 at +12.5.
Good, I thought, probably high enough in an hour or so for a shot.

Got to preparing the cats food, and I heard her playing with that
container, but didn't think much of it. Hell, I can hardly get into them
sometimes. It simply did not register with me that the sound stopped. I
turned around and there she was, container open, nose buried in the
center of a kolche, licking out the lovely SUGARY CREAM CHEESE
FILLING!!!!!! I couldn't help but laugh as I pulled her away from it
calling her (see the title of the thread). ARGH! I'm pretty certain
she'll be sky high in a few minutes. She only ate about a teaspoons
worth, but we all know it doesn't take much. The little...............

LOL. Give Pearl a scritch from me and tell her I understand completely.
What I do when I just have to have something nice is, I take an extra
dose of insulin. Glad to hear Pearl is doing so well otherwise.

Luckily she really didn't boing up too high and started coming back down
after her shot. I wish I had grabbed the camera first. It was pretty damn
funny.

Old October 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:22:55 -0500, Karen
yodeled:

[...]

Kolaches are yummy! It just shows that Pearl's taste is better than
her judgement. Like so many of us.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old October 6th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Karen wrote:
Luckily she really didn't boing up too high and started coming back down
after her shot. I wish I had grabbed the camera first. It was pretty damn
funny.

That can be taken as a sign that you have done a good job
looking after her diabetes. When it is under good control,
the occasional treat has less of an effect than when her
sugars have been all over the place or when she has been
nibbling forbidden goodies frequently. So good job, Meowmie!

--tension

Old October 7th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:27:18 -0500, "Karen"
wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:22:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

It works great for cats. Really slow gentle drops. I give Pearl 1u. I had to
go up to a fat 2units when we started before I started seeing her drop, but
now, 1u produces a really nice curve and lately she has stayed between 78
and 230 most of the time, with ocassional burps higher at preshot. Humulin N
is pretty harsh and doesn't usually last more than 8 hours. If you don't
hometest I highly recommend it. It's easy, fast and lets you know what is
going on with the BG so you don't shoot a low number. Most people, even when
they switch to Lantus from another, start at 1 unit. It takes about 7 days
to "settle". You should read through the feline diabetes message board. We
have a ton of cats on Lantus now. I buy the pen cartridges, which is a five
month supply making it only about 30.00 a month.

I home test, and Sheba is on a mostly low-carb diet. But we have to
watch her at our mealtimes. She is not above sneaking onto the table
and stealing our food! She once stole a sweet potato skin!

I used to read the FDMB; but not for a long time. Maybe I ought to go
there again. I still have the link in my Favorites. I was just
thinking I might share my Lantus with her since it is paid for by
insurance. Save a little money; and do only one needle stick a day.
But if Walmart does the $4 medicine thing and puts NPH on the list, I
will stick with it. Right now I pay $19 for a bottle thaat lasts about
5 months. Come to think of it, that is pretty darn cheap. Thinking it
over, I think Lantus with its constant rate would be good for an all
day grazer. Whereas Sheba eats two meals a day at specified times so
the Nph would be better for controlling that meal regimen. Thanks for
the info. I am glad Pearl is doing well.

--
CATherine
Old October 7th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-10-06 20:51:25 -0500, CATherine

wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in message
[...]

Some cats can get good coverage with N. If it ain't broke, don't fix
it, but cats use so little lantus, you wouldn't even have to spend the
four bucks or whatever for N. Just a thought.