Ping Tweed

Old March 3rd 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Ping Tweed

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

LOL I was actually born in Surrey.

I know, but going out in bad weather only in tee shirts is peculiar to young
Geordies. They think it makes them seem hard..I know, I was married to one.
I forced him into a coat here during the winter in Leics saying "no one in
Newcastle will see you.." ;-)
Tweed

Old March 3rd 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Blimey! You're a hard man, Adrian - you don't walk down the street
in the
snow with a tee-shirt and no coat on, do you? ;-)

Tweed

When I was 17, I lived across a field from where my aunt lives. One
day,
when there was about a foot of snow, I walked across to her wearing
just a
pair of shorts. The look on her face was priceless. It seems as I get
older
I find heat more difficult to cope with.
--
I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

Okay, I just have to ask. What does tog stand for? Combined with the
number, it apparently relates to warmth, but I'm completely unfamiliar
with the term.

the higher the tog rating the warmer the duvet is. I don't actually
know what tog means. 15 suits me for a winter in a house with no
central heating.
Boyfie has a 13 tog in his bedroom but he sleeps on top of it and
arranges it around himself. He loves that duvet.
Tweed

Do you know if it is related to the thickness, or the type of filling, or
what?

No, I don't. You can get different types of filling that can be the same
tog rating. The higher the tog the warmer it is.
15 tog, which I have is the warmest I can buy.
It can be very nippy upstairs here in the worst winter temperatures, 3C,
as a rough guide double it and add 30, so around 36F for a week at the top
of my stairs last month when I got up so likely to be the same in my
bedroom.

I suspect Adrian has central heating, which is why he can sleep under a
lesser tog duvet in the winter.

Tweed

I can see why you'd need something warm. That is cold!

Some people have a much higher tolerance for cold for others, while others
can stand heat better than some. My husband and I had a hard time agreeing
on a setting for the thermostat, and we settled the bed problem by getting a
dual control electric blanket. His side was almost never turned on.

Joy

Old March 4th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 03/02/2012 01:04 AM, Joy wrote:
"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message
"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message
"Christina wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I assume it means Thickness Of Garment -- tog.

Old March 4th 12, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

No, I don't. You can get different types of filling that can be the same
tog rating. The higher the tog the warmer it is.
15 tog, which I have is the warmest I can buy.
It can be very nippy upstairs here in the worst winter temperatures, 3C, as
a rough guide double it and add 30, so around 36F for a week at the top of
my stairs last month when I got up so likely to be the same in my bedroom.

I suspect Adrian has central heating, which is why he can sleep under a
lesser tog duvet in the winter.

Tweed

I feel cold as soon as I get out of the bed in winter, no heating in the
bedroom. When I lived in Wiltshire I had no heating upstairs and my window
was bigger, a few times the water in the glass by my bed froze at night.

--
Adrian
Old March 4th 12, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 4, 4:13*am, Adrian wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...
No, I don't. *You can get different types of filling that can be the same
tog rating. * The higher the tog the warmer it is.
15 tog, which I have is the warmest I can buy.
It can be very nippy upstairs here in the worst winter temperatures, *3C, as
a rough guide double it and add 30, so around 36F for a week at the top of
my stairs last month when I got up so likely to be the same in my bedroom.

I suspect Adrian has central heating, which is why he can sleep under a
lesser tog duvet in the winter.

Tweed

*I feel cold as soon as I get out of the bed in winter, no heating in the
bedroom. When I lived in Wiltshire I had no heating upstairs and my window
was bigger, a few times the water in the glass by my bed froze at night.

--
Adrian

You guys are either very tough or just better acclimated to cold
weather than I. We
lost electricity for several days--the indoor temps were around
40-45F. It was a
miserable time. . And the colder it got, the tighter the curl on a
curled-up sleeping cat!
A perfect day for me is between 85-90F with a light south wind and all
the windows open. :-)

Sherry
Old March 5th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

***

Wow! I'd find that too hot! My mother much preferred cold. When she was
80, she moved from California to Alaska, and loved it. She would complain
about the heat if it got over 70 F, but it seldom did where she lived.

Joy

Old March 5th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 4, 6:52*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Mar 4, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Joy- Hide quoted text -

I know. It *is* too warm for a lot of people. DH and I luckily are
thermostatically
compatible. :-)

Sherry
Old March 5th 12, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-03-04 9:22 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message

You guys are either very tough or just better acclimated to cold
weather than I. We
lost electricity for several days--the indoor temps were around
40-45F. It was a
miserable time. . And the colder it got, the tighter the curl on a
curled-up sleeping cat!
A perfect day for me is between 85-90F with a light south wind and all
the windows open. :-)

Sherry

***

Wow! I'd find that too hot! My mother much preferred cold. When she was
80, she moved from California to Alaska, and loved it. She would complain
about the heat if it got over 70 F, but it seldom did where she lived.

Joy

85-90F would be hot for me! I like the cold, especially when I'm trying
to sleep, and think 70F is a great temperature for a fine summer day,
but about as high as I'd like it! Fortunately, I live in a part of
Canada known for cool, damp weather!

I know an American who has been living here happily for decades He's
from Alabama. People are always startled when they hear that an say
things like "You're from Alabama, and you moved HERE? Don't you find it
terribly cold?" But he's another one who likes cold weather, and he
finds the place he was born and raised uncomfortably hot!

--
Cheryl
Old March 5th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

______
Brits can be a bit tough if we need to be, stiff upper lip and all that.
85-90F would have me almost fainting with heat, luckily we only get those
sort of temperatures occasionally.
72-75F is plenty, I call that a lovely summer day.

I have a suggestion, Sherry. Don't rely on electricity for everything,
especially heating, have a little portable gas heater tucked away in case of
an extended power cut, then you can keep one room warm during the day in
case it happens again.
I like to have all eventualities covered. I have a woodburner in one room,
a piped gas stove top, an electric oven and a portable gas heater. Piped
gas doesn't fail so if the electricity is off I can always cook on the stove
top.
Oh, I almost forgot, make sure you have plenty of candles and know where you
can put your hands on them straight away if the electricity goes off when
it's dark and have a box of matches in with them.
If you don't have candlesticks, light your candle, get a saucer, turn your
candle sideways so the melting wax drips on to it and stick the base of your
candle into the wax - it will very soon get cold and hold the candle
upright.

These survival techniques are brought to you by:
Tweed g

The

Old March 5th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 1:54 am, Adrian wrote:

LOL I was actually born in Surrey.

I think I saw you at Edgware Road tube station a couple of years
ago- mid january early evening- it was bloody cold (And I don;t feel
the cold so if I say it was bloody cold it was!) and a young guy
walked down the platform in a vest, shorts and wearing flip flops- I
concluded he'd lost a bet but perhaps it was you!

-----
Nah, that would be a Geordie lad on his first visit to London ;-)

Ping: Tweed Mishi[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 December 15th 11 01:10 AM
OT - Ping Tweed CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 1 September 19th 11 09:18 PM
PING Tweed Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Ping Tweed CatNipped Cat anecdotes 73 April 30th 05 12:15 AM