Tom Cat Update

Old August 17th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

Default Tom Cat Update

I brought him home from the vet about 2 hours ago or less, maybe
closer to 90 minutes. He was very groggy and unable to stand but he's
walking around better now, still disoriented. He was given an
antibiotic bt TED, one that is supposed to last 2 weeks. ( Anyone
heard of this before?? )
I'm supposed to withold water and food until sunset but I gave him
some water. He was so eager for it, and I don't think he will vomit it
up.
The food gets withheld for 2 more hours as per instructions.

Next Tuesday at noon TED will see him for a checkup. The stirches are
self-dissolving thankfully.

John with relief

i will eet his fudz iffin he cannot.
beauty
Old August 17th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gramby

I always give a bit of water sooner than they say, not a lot but a dry mouth
is an awful thing evn for a cat.

Old August 17th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:46:33 -0500, "Gramby"
wrote:

I always give a bit of water sooner than they say, not a lot but a dry mouth
is an awful thing evn for a cat.

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
.. .

I brought him home from the vet about 2 hours ago or less, maybe
closer to 90 minutes. He was very groggy and unable to stand but he's
walking around better now, still disoriented. He was given an
antibiotic bt TED, one that is supposed to last 2 weeks. ( Anyone
heard of this before?? )
I'm supposed to withold water and food until sunset but I gave him
some water. He was so eager for it, and I don't think he will vomit it
up.
The food gets withheld for 2 more hours as per instructions.

Next Tuesday at noon TED will see him for a checkup. The stirches are
self-dissolving thankfully.

I'm so glad that Tom Cat is OK.

I assume he'll be getting gushy fuds, while he heals

I'm sure he's pretty unhappy now, but the 'good' thing about mouth
wounds is that they tend to heal just about faster than anything else.

I have read about the injection of long acting antibiotic.

It works very well, in most case.

The down side is that if a cat has a bad reaction to it, it can be very,
very bad; even fatal.

When my elderly cat Kenzie(RB) was very sick last fall, my vet mentioned
it, but didn't want to use it. She is a VERY food vet; I trust her
without reservation. When your cat is sick, it's good to have a vet you
REALLY trust, I think.

Kenzie was a very, VERY special cat, for so many reasons.

One, among many, was that she would let me pill her, day after day, up
to 5 different meds, with absolutely no fuss whatsoever. Sometimes, it
would take me three tries, to give her one pill, since she did
reflexively spit them out....and then she would wait for me to try
again.

Poor Kenzie was on Tapazole for hyperthyroidism, for about a year and a
half. That was 2x a day dosing, every day. When she got sick, there were
more, off and on. Lots of meds, unfortunately.

I should have mentioned earlier that I had two nicknames, when I was
young: Top Cat, and Tom Cat.

Some people didn't like me, because I did so well in school, getting the
top score on many tests (not all, of course): I was Top Cat.

When Kenzie went to a Bridge, a very kind man put up a page of her
pictures, that he had saved, and they are still up.

http://home.comcast.net/~takayuki9z/Kenzie/

The first pic is my very favorite pic of her. Everyone who met her, just
loved her. She was that kind of a cat. How I miss her

Please give us updates (all good, I hope!) about Tom Cat.

I'm really, really happy you don't have anything to report, except a
normal recovery from anesthesia.

For all of the cats I have met (I worked for a vet, a very long time
ago) and have read about, I've never come across a Tom Cat, until now.
Like Tigger, it just SEEMS like it should be more common

Please give him some scritches, for me

Old August 17th 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Booker

On 8/16/2011 8:25 PM, Gandalf wrote:

Poor Kenzie was on Tapazole for hyperthyroidism, for about a year and a
half. That was 2x a day dosing, every day. When she got sick, there were
more, off and on. Lots of meds, unfortunately.

Tapazole is the MOST awful tasting medicine on earth. I know, I take it.
Just yuck, yuck, yuck. It's a good day when I can swallow it without it
touching my tongue or mouth.

Good for Kenzie if she didn't immediately run under the bed after
experiencing Tapazole.

Anti Julie
Old August 17th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Storrmmee

OEJ has a new one its the kitty version of tapazol, it has a coating and
bothers her much less, soft
. ..

Old August 18th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf[_4_]

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:42:41 -0700, Booker wrote:

On 8/16/2011 8:25 PM, Gandalf wrote:

Poor Kenzie was on Tapazole for hyperthyroidism, for about a year and a
half. That was 2x a day dosing, every day. When she got sick, there were
more, off and on. Lots of meds, unfortunately.

Tapazole is the MOST awful tasting medicine on earth. I know, I take it.
Just yuck, yuck, yuck. It's a good day when I can swallow it without it
touching my tongue or mouth.

Good for Kenzie if she didn't immediately run under the bed after
experiencing Tapazole.

Anti Julie

I worked out a system for giving Kenzie her Tapazole.

I used a wooden coffee stir stick, and I would get a little ball of
refrigerated soft margarine on the end of it, by dragging it through the
margarine.

Then I would place the 1/2 Tapazole tablet on the margarine, and bury it
into the margarine.

The margarine was Aunti Kyla's idea, Mosey's Meowmie. I am forever in
her debt, for her wonderful suggestion.

I thought of using a small stick, to get it onto the back of her tongue.

It is very good to have friends, to ask for advice, when you are in dire
need

Then I would get Kenzie to open her mouth, (which she was not happy
about, but always did, with a tiny bit of fuss) and I would place the
stick with the margarine facing down, and I would quickly 'wipe' it on
the back of her tongue, as quickly as possible, and as far back as
possible.

If I did everything right, she would reflexively swallow very quickly,
and not taste the horrible, bitter taste of the Tapezole.

Sometimes, she would spit it out, if I didn't get it far enough back on
her tongue; once or twice, it took me 3 times, to get her to swallow it.

But she stayed right by my feet as I worked on the kitchen counter, and
would patiently wait for me to get everything ready, and try again.

I can't believe that she did it for the little bite of sardine that she
got as her reward. A small tin of sardines split 14 ways, is very small
indeed.

I used the same method for other medications, 'fitting' as much as I
could into the little bit of margarine, and repeating it, when I had too
much medication to give her all at once.

She used to watch me prepare her Tapazole, almost every day, too.

Cats are very smart: they know what you are doing, when you are getting
their medication, even if you just take it out of a bottle. It's is
nearly impossible to fool a cat….especially twice a day, every day, for
a very long time.

Kenzie only ever hid from me when she was very, very sick. This happened
several times. It is instinct for a cat to hide, when they are so sick:
in the wild, they would be easy prey, for another, bigger predator.

But never, ever, just when I was going to give her her medication.

When I was all done, I gave Kenzie a little bit of sardine, which she
wolfed down. I used to take a tin of sardines, put it into a clean glass
jar, and mix it up and break up the pieces up with a fork.

A tin of sardines used to last about a week, giving Kenzie a little bit,
twice a day.

Then, I would give her her regular food, because the medication had to
be given with food.

Tapazole itself causes nausea, and twice I had to take her off of it,
completely, for a week, and then start it at a very low dose, and
increase it gradually, over a period of 5 or 6 weeks, so she wouldn't
get sick from it.

I got REALLY good at cutting those tiny pills into REALLY tiny pieces,
with a razor blade!

She was a very smart cat., but she couldn't have known that the very
bitter Tapezole was good for her.

I finally had to conclude that she was so good about taking her
medication, only because I wanted her to do it. What else would account
for her behavior, when I gave her her pills, even when she was sick, and
cranky?

She was a very special cat, as I said.

I was a frequent visitor to the vet clinic, later in Kenzie's life, and
all of the technicians loved Kenzie, because she was so easy to draw
blood from, or do anything else that needed to be done. Kenzie didn't
like it, but she only put of the smallest token of resistance.

And, she was so very pretty, too

My vet, Katie, was visibly upset, when we had to send Kenzie to the
Bridge.

She talked with me for awhile, afterwards, and then she gave me a big
hug

And, she asked if I would come back to the clinic, if and when I got
another cat.

As if I would even consider going anywhere else.

She didn't charge me for Kenzie's euthanasia, or for many hundreds of
dollars of care she had previously received.

I asked about it, and I was refused. I would have paid every penny, of
course.

Kenzie is buried in my back yard, near my other two RB kitties, under
the lilac bushes I planted, when I bought my little house, in 1979.

I have stones marking the places where Lucky (June 9, 1999), Blizzard
(April 10, 2001), and Kenzie (Oct 23, 2010) were laid to rest.

They were all very, very special cats. Lucky was the friendliest,
greeting strangers at the door. She loved everyone. She always wanted to
be on top of me, or playing with me.

When Lucky saw me take my laser pointer off the little hook where it
hung, she would get REALLY excited, every time. She knew that I was
responsible for the red greebling…but she just loved to chase it. She
was a VERY smart cat, too.

There is a tribute page to her he

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/tribute-lucky.html

Blizzard was not a real bright cat, and she ran when the doorbell rang,
but she loved to sleep in my lap, and just went absolutely crazy for
fresh catnip. She was pure white, except for a tiny speck of black, on
her nose.

Her fur was incredibly soft, and longer than a 'typical' DSH: she was a
'medium hair' cat. I had white fur on every piece of clothing I owned.

I used to buy lint pick-up rollers 6 at a time. I haven't had to buy
any, since before Blizzard went to the Bridge, despite Kenzie having a
fair amount of white fur.

There is a tribute page to blizzard he

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/tribute-blizzard.html

Kenzie was just a very sweet cat. She wasn't a lap cat. She really
didn't like to play, like most cats do. She was just a very, very
special cat. She seemed to want to please me, like a new puppy would.
But, she did it throughout her entire life with me….. within limits, of
course.

I only had her for 11 ½ years; I adopted her when she was about 3 years
old

I know that she loved me, as much as I loved her. She was always happy,
always; except when she got sick, which happened a lot, in her last year
and a half, unfortunately.

And now I have Lorelei. She reminds me so much of Kenzie, because she's
similar in temperament, and some of her habits, as well. She's very
sweet, and good natured. She asks for very little from me, just like
Kenzie.

I have fresh catnip for her, that I grow for her. She likes it, but she
doesn't go crazy on it, like my Blizzard did.

She sleeps with me, and she knows to try not to wake me up, once I turn
the lights out. Most nights, I hardly know she's there, unless I move,
and touch her, where she sleeps on a pillow near me.

When she gets cold, because I turn the heat completely off at night in
the winter, I will hear a soft meow, and sometimes, a soft tap on my
face with her paw.

This is to tell me she wants to get under the covers with me, because it
has gotten so cold in my bedroom.

I lift up my 7 blankets, and a comforter, (it gets COLD, with no heat,
all night long, in the winter, in this part of America!), so she can
quickly scoot underneath. She makes a U-turn, and then she presses
herself tightly up against me, and she likes to put her head and front
paws on my left arm, and sleeps in that position, until I move, if I do.

Lorelei's body temperature is warmer than mine, but we both benefit from
being so close to each other: we both sleep warmer.

If I wake up, or turn over, I often scritch Lorelei ears. She loves ear
scritches, more than most anything else. She never seems to mind, if I
wake her up. Yet, she knows I don't like to be woken up by her. She is
smart, and she has better manners than I do, I think.

I still call her Kenzie by mistake, some times.

Lorelei pretends not to notice.

I think she likes me
Old August 18th 11, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Storrmmee

OEJ knows her pill benifits her, in the morning, she will wake furree up if
he is late getting up to give her her pill, there is no treat or anything
special iwith the pill, most of the time when he gets it out, she will jump
onto the arm of the couch and sit and wait for her pill, I am sure she has
connected the pill with feeling better, soft

Old August 18th 11, 11:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf[_4_]

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 04:22:35 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

OEJ knows her pill benifits her, in the morning, she will wake furree up if
he is late getting up to give her her pill, there is no treat or anything
special iwith the pill, most of the time when he gets it out, she will jump
onto the arm of the couch and sit and wait for her pill, I am sure she has
connected the pill with feeling better, soft

Wow, she is a very smart kitteh!

Kenzie's Tapazole made her very, very sick, twice, early on, so I doubt
that she thought they were 'good' for her.

.. .

Old August 18th 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Gandalf wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

(snips, on pilling a cat)

The margarine was Aunti Kyla's idea, Mosey's Meowmie. I am forever in
her debt, for her wonderful suggestion.

I got REALLY good at cutting those tiny pills into REALLY tiny pieces,
with a razor blade!

For others and your use later if you need to get a pill into a cat, is
a simple method we use. Take a ziplock baggie (freezer type is better,
you want it thick) and add the pill. Use a rolling pin to crush it.

I was able to get Daisy-chan to take her meds this way by adding it to
a 1/2 amount of her normal food (so she'd eat it all). You can of
course mix with butter.