BAD NEWS at Caboodle Ranch

Old March 7th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default BAD NEWS at Caboodle Ranch

You all remember this florida rescue center we talked about in this group a
long time ago posted on the ASPCA website

Since Monday, February 26, the ASPCA's Field Investigations and Response
(FIR) team has been in northern Florida managing the removal of hundreds of
cats from an overwhelmed cat sanctuary known as Caboodle Ranch. We joined
the effort at the request of Madison County Animal Control and the Madison
County Sheriff's Office, which obtained a search warrant following a
thorough investigation of the sanctuary that spanned more than a year.

The cats were found living in overcrowded and filthy conditions. Many are
exhibiting signs of severe neglect and appear to be suffering from upper
respiratory conditions and eye infections, among a host of other medical
issues. Some sick cats were housed together but not separated by their
afflictions, allowing for the unfettered transmission of various diseases.
Responders have found numerous deceased and decomposing cats on the
property, as well as multiple shallow grave sites.

"This is a tragic situation. Caboodle Ranch was clearly overwhelmed with
hundreds of cats in dire need of medical treatment," says Tim Rickey, Senior
Director of the ASPCA's FIR team. "The sanctuary had no adoption or
spay/neuter programs in place to manage its population."

With nearly 700 cats already removed from the property, this is the largest
number of cats the ASPCA has ever seized in the course of an animal cruelty
investigation-and efforts to locate them all are ongoing. The rescued
animals have been relocated to a temporary shelter in Jacksonville, where
veterinary, sheltering, and behavior teams are assessing, diagnosing,
treating and caring for them.

ASPCA responders are struck by the stark difference between the version of
the Caboodle Ranch presented on its website and the reality on the ground.
"There are some extremely sick animals," says one ASPCA volunteer. "Most are
not at death's door, but there are very, very few who are completely
healthy." She also notes that the majority of the cats are friendly and
eager for human contact: "Four hundred of them just walked right into our
carriers."

More than 100 responders are assisting the ASPCA with the investigation,
including staff and volunteers from the University of Florida (Gainesville)
College of Veterinary Medicine, the Maples Center for Forensic Medicine and
the following organizations:

Atlanta Humane Society (Atlanta, GA)
Bay Area Disaster Animal Response Team (Belleair Bluffs, FL)
Cat Depot (Sarasota, FL)
Florida State Animal Response Coalition (Bushnell, FL)
Good Mews Animal Foundation (Marietta, GA)
Humane Society of Broward County (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
International Fund for Animal Welfare (Yarmouth Port, MA)
McKamey Animal Care and Adoption Center (Chattanooga, TN)
PetSmart Charities, Inc. (Phoenix, AZ)
RedRover (Sacramento, CA)
Sumter DART (Bushnell, FL)

The founder and operator of Caboodle Ranch, Craig Grant, has been arrested
and charged with one count of felony animal cruelty, three counts of cruelty
to animals and one count of scheming to defraud. The cats are currently
considered evidence in the criminal case, but the ASPCA will work on
placement of the animals once their final disposition has been determined by
the prosecutor.

http://www.aspca.org/news/700-cats-p...uary-this-week

Old March 7th 12, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

(gentle snippage)

The founder and operator of Caboodle Ranch, Craig Grant, has been arrested
and charged with one count of felony animal cruelty, three counts of
cruelty to animals and one count of scheming to defraud. The cats are
currently considered evidence in the criminal case, but the ASPCA will
work on placement of the animals once their final disposition has been
determined by the prosecutor.

http://www.aspca.org/news/700-cats-p...uary-this-week

This is terrible news! Am I mistaken in recalling someone from this ng went
to the Caboodle Ranch to pick up a cat and transport it a new slave? Or was
that some other sanctuary?

The article mentioned they didn't have a spay/neuter program. Yikes! No
wonder there are 700 cats! Apparently area vets didn't jump on the
bandwagon to provide their services. The good news is the cats seem to be
in pretty good shape, given the circumstances.

Jill

Old March 7th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:24:20 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

You all remember this florida rescue center we talked about in this group a
long time ago posted on the ASPCA website

http://www.aspca.org/news/700-cats-p...uary-this-week

Oh, that's too bad. Good intentions got out of control I would guess.
I always figured that if I ever won a lottery I'd like to set up
something like that. How could they not have a Spay/Neuter program in
place? That's what struck me as the oddest.

I guess they just ran out of money. You would really need a full time
vet or two, and that is going to take a lot of money. Plus how do you
manage all the sick cats? Obviously not an easy thing to do.

Old March 7th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote:

You all remember this florida rescue center we talked about in this group
long time ago posted on the ASPCA website

http://www.aspca.org/news/700-cats-p...uary-this-week

Oh, that's too bad. Good intentions got out of control I would guess.
I always figured that if I ever won a lottery I'd like to set up
something like that. How could they not have a Spay/Neuter program in
place? That's what struck me as the oddest.

I guess they just ran out of money. You would really need a full time
vet or two, and that is going to take a lot of money. Plus how do you
manage all the sick cats? Obviously not an easy thing to do.

I have a list of what I would do if I won the lottery #1 is make sure
myself and my family is taken care of #2 is open the largest no kill
shelter Florida has ever seen that would be self supporting from the
interest made from a trust account setup from the lottery winnings

Old March 7th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I guess they just ran out of money. You would really need a full time
vet or two, and that is going to take a lot of money. Plus how do you
manage all the sick cats? Obviously not an easy thing to do.

Sounds plausible. But some of that story smelt to me like the ASPCA
and the police feeding the media with libellous accusations that
couldn't possibly stick in court, hoping to manipulate public opinion
into letting them do whatever they heck they wanted. (We see a lot of
that strategy in the UK, usually around so-called "terrorist" issues).

The proprietor seems to have got in over his head financially. How
is putting him in jail and throwing away the key going to do any good?
Giving him the chance to re-finance the operation and get it going
again under informed and compassionate external supervision is what's
really needed. Instead he seems to have fallen into the hands of a
uniformed lynch mob.

Old March 7th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

watch the video on the link I provided it explains it all ;-)

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
[...]

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Old March 7th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Nanette was Craig's assistant and had been working with him for many years
from her home in North Carolina, updating the website and blog, and
communicating with everyone who reached out to her regarding Caboodle
Ranch. She drove to Caboodle Ranch on a monthly basis to assist him,
hands-on, in his care for the Caboodle cats. She recently relocated and
moved into a home on Caboodle property. Her story is as injust as his, and
she needs help. This is ridiculous and has to stop! Is anybody listening?

"I’m not sure where to begin, because everyday has been a nightmare for me.
After reeling from what PETA and the ASPCA did to the Caboodle Ranch, I was
told that my own family cats would be taken as well because they were on
Craig’s property. I practically fainted at the words. Then I was “assured”
both by the Sheriff’s dept and ASPCA that ‘we won’t take your cats’ and
“you didn’t do anything wrong’. Somewhat comforted by their words, a mere 2
days went by when I was woken by pounding on my door at 8am, still in bed,
still in my night gown, when the sheriff’s officers came in with a search
warrant and authority to seize my family cats. They said I had to leave my
home while they did this. My sister was with me and we stood their in shock
in our night gowns demanding “WHY?!” and all we got was “because we have a
warrant that says so.

Numb and in shock we put clothes on and left my house. A house that I have
barely moved into 2 weeks ago, from North Carolina. We drove like zombies
to a parking lot and I fell apart. My cats were just waking up, playing,
eating their crunchers, perfectly happy and content when these strangers
came in to take them away. When we came back several hours later, I
collapsed on the floor. I could not stop crying. I kept seeing all their
sweet trusting faces and now there was nothingness, emptiness and loss.
There was no one to call, no one to help me.

My friend Jan came to be with me as well for support and to try and sort
thing out. We called TV stations, newspapers etc. Some posted our story
some not. None made a difference. Yesterday was the hearing for Caboodle
Ranch where we were going to demand the return of the cats and property
seized. We had to post pone it because the prosecutor had just then
supplied the attorney with the affidavit that supports the warrant for
Craig’s charges. I was told by the caboodle attorney (who does not
represent me) that I had to go to the Sheriff’s dept to demand my cats and
laptop back.

My sister and I did so and was met by the lieutenant and the states
attorney. The state attorney was extremely angry with me for some reason
and told me “You are not getting your cats back for a very long time, they
are state evidence!”. I was shocked and said that they were my personal
family pets! But she refused to hear me and demanded we leave and never
come back. I have records from my own vet in North Carolina with their
names on it and my NC address proving they are MINE.

I collapsed again outside in my sisters arms. I haven’t been able to eat or
sleep or concentrate. They keep telling me “you’ve done nothing wrong” and
I haven’t been charged with anything, yet they are allowed to destroy my
only joy in life and take them away and never say anything to me about
them. Now I need an attorney. I need someone to fight for me and get my
family of cats home to me where they belong. Never in all my life would I
have thought anyone in any county could do this to someone just because
they feel like it. To see my name on a search warrant was devastating
enough, I hadn’t even been in the state for 2 weeks when all this happened
so how is this possible? No one will answer me. And to take away the very
reason I have any joy at all away from me…

If anyone can help me, I need a lawyer who will bring my cats back to me
immediately. One who can either work pro bono or allow me to make payments.
I am pleading with everyone. This is so wrong and can happen to anyone. The
only reason they took my precious cats is because I worked for Caboodle
Ranch, from out of state no less. There is NO other reason…."

Nanette Entriken

--
Adrian
Old March 7th 12, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

This is really sad. I'd seen the website and thought what a lovely place
it was.
All good intentions, I expect, but there isn't any excuse to have dead and
decomposing cats on the property and so many in bad health.
It's easy to get carried away with good intentions with rescue without
taking into consideration what can actually be achieved with the funds
available and then the cats suffer even more.
I remember when Boyfriend first arrived and I didn't want him. I went to
the house of a local Cat's Protection League volunteer to ask what to do.
She opened the door and the smell hit me, such a stench of cat urine and
faeces that I nearly fainted. She said she had more than 30 cats, no doubt
from a good heart, but obviously too many for her to cope with.

I decided I would keep him after that.
I'm so glad I did.

Tweed

Old March 7th 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

This is disgusting! I've been extremely pi**ed off about ASPCA and PETA
going after Caboodle, but to do this to Nanette as well in
unconscionable. I sincerely wish I had enough money to retain an attorney
for her.

And an attorney for Craig.

And I am equally angry that the media are handing out the PETA/ASPCA line
and not giving Craig a chance to make his side of the story known.

ARGGGGHHH!!!!

Dan
Old March 8th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 7, 4:56*pm, Dan M wrote:
This is disgusting! I've been extremely pi**ed off about ASPCA and PETA
going after Caboodle, but to do this to Nanette as well in
unconscionable. I sincerely wish I had enough money to retain an attorney
for her.

And an attorney for Craig.

And I am equally angry that the media are handing out the PETA/ASPCA line
and not giving Craig a chance to make his side of the story known.

ARGGGGHHH!!!!

Dan

This deal sounds bad, but I am always healthily skeptical about the
media. I learned first-hand
when I was involved in the shelter during a puppy mill thing that
ended up getting much
media attention. Some of the "facts" published in newspapers and
reported on TV were
completely false. I never knew whether the reporters just got it that
wrong, or in the absence
of a good quote they'd just make one up. We all know how the media
can crucify a person.
At face value, this looked to me like things just got out of control.
What disturbed me is the
claim that "there is no spay/neuter policy in place." Whatever this
means. It implies that the
cats are breeding. I'd like to know the truth about that. The cats
are the victims and that
is just so sad.

Sherry

Go See The Caboodle Ranch Mosey =^..^=[_7_] Cat community 0 January 6th 11 02:26 AM
Caboodle Ranch Sherry Cat anecdotes 5 November 26th 10 07:42 PM
I got to visit Caboodle Ranch Dan M Cat anecdotes 42 August 2nd 10 08:01 AM
Caboodle ranch bizit Granby Cat community 8 August 1st 10 10:54 PM
Caboodle Ranch tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 1 March 11th 09 06:06 PM