URGENT: my 4.5-5 wk old kitten won't drink and barely eats

Old October 16th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Default URGENT: my 4.5-5 wk old kitten won't drink and barely eats

Please Keep us informed. I arrived too late to add anything else helpful.
Phil's website has some good information on it to help with new kittens
owners http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" u27911@uwe wrote in message
yes she went to the vet this morning and they gave her a shot and she's
been
asleep about all day but has been eatin some occasionally so thankyou all
very much for the concern

Wendy wrote:
Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
has

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Concearned new mommy
Steffanie

As others have said you need to feed KMR (kitten milk replacer) not cows
milk. Cows milk can give cats diarrhea. If you end up trying to bottle
feed
or syringe/dropper feed this little one because of the URI, be very
careful
to go slowly. They can aspirate formula or food which can cause aspiration
pneumonia. This is deadly in kittens under 8 weeks old. If you see any
formula coming out of the nose, immediately hold the kitten upside down to
let it drain. She's kind of at that in between age where some fight the
bottle and others still want it so she might not be all that interested in
formula. They sell small premixed cans that might be the best bet until
you
find out if she'll take it or not.

You might want to steam up the bathroom and put her in there. The humidity
helps keep the nose open. If cats can't smell they won't be interested in
eating.

She does need to see the vet. They will probably put her on antibiotics
and
possibly eye ointment if it appears she has conjunctivitis. Ask the vet to
show you what to look for to monitor her for dehydration. If she's not
eating well that is one of the things you need to watch for.

They will probably be able to give you something for the fleas too. If you
have to bathe her just make sure you get her completely dry afterwards.
You
can use a hair dryer on low heat. I usually rub the hair with one hand
while
using the hair dryer so I can feel how much heat is getting on the kitten.

Good luck with your new baby. I know how nerve wracking it can be worrying
them through an URI.

Old October 16th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" u27911@uwe wrote in message
Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better
she
is up and moving around now atleast after eatin some kmr and all about
being
close and being held i made her a rice/ corn bag for heat and i bought a
baby
toy with a little heat imation sound and took that out and put it near the
corn bag thinking maybe she'd sleep in her bed but nope she meowed all
night
and i got her out and put her with me she slept the rest of the night so
any
ideas on what you do would be great!!!!

Warmth from the rice bag sounds good -- just make sure that it isn't *too*
hot for such a little kit. Some people put a clock (the type that makes a
"tick-tick-ticking" sound) close to a kitten's bed. The sound can be
soothing to them. On the other hand, I actually enjoy having my cats sleep
with me. I miss it if I wake up and don't find a warm bundle of fur beside
me. You may soon find yourself in the situation.

What did the vet say. You said in one of your messages that he gave your
kitten a shot, but you didn't say what the diagnosis was. Will she need any
follow-up care?

Again, thanks for adopting. This is wonderful for her, and you will be
repaid with lots of love.

MaryL

Old October 16th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com

yes upper respitory infection as well as eye infectionshe is wanting to be
close to me all of the time she is more like having a baby than a cat whoever
said they were independant must not have a baby like i do because i try to
put her in her bed and she just won't stay there its all about being close i
have also found that the little pouches that they use for sugar gliders and
wear around their necks i think they are called bonding pouches are working
wonderfully and hoodies with front pockets she'd ride around all day if she
could!!!!

MaryL wrote:
Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better
she

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

Old October 17th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

yes upper respitory infection as well as eye infectionshe is wanting to be
close to me all of the time she is more like having a baby than a cat
whoever
said they were independant must not have a baby like i do because i try to
put her in her bed and she just won't stay there its all about being close
have also found that the little pouches that they use for sugar gliders
and
wear around their necks i think they are called bonding pouches are
working
wonderfully and hoodies with front pockets she'd ride around all day if
she
could!!!!

Yes, she really is a baby, and she needs lots of attention since she lost
her own mother. I think people who only stress the "independence" of cats
don't have much experience with them. Each cat is unique with his or her
own personality. Some are independent, some are lap cats with an inordinate
need for affection -- we don't "train" them to be a certain way. Holly
follows me around like a little shadow (which is appropriate because she is
black). As soon as I sit down at the computer, she sits beside the keyboard
or walks back and forth in front of the monitor. She brings me the same
little toy mouse as a "gift" every evening. Duffy is a little love-bug. He
will climb up in my lap and rub his little chin against mine, and he is an
absolute joy to see. I love it, and neither one would fit the old
stereotype of "independence." On the other hand, they are independent in
the sense that *they* decide when it's time for all this loving!

MaryL

Old October 17th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

ashesmommysteff wrote:
Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she has
only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been cleaning
with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw please
help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and has a
stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and took
tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!

Concearned new mommy
Steffanie

Old October 17th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

No, she gave some details in a reply to one of my messages -- see her
message posted 10/16/06 at 5:56 p.m.

MaryL

Old October 17th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com

i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten has
been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't have
looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all these
very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make assumptions
about me thankyou

Steffanie

Buddy's Mom wrote:
So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she has
only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
Concearned new mommy
Steffanie

Old October 17th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Some of us Like myself I am guilty of it We forget that our comforts that
are in easy reach but take one away most a crying like babies

Happy little one is better.

"meeee" wrote in message
Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less
education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services. The
larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only ones
who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far between,
and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got a 2nd
vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the posters who
were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as well as cats,
and stop for a minute and think that others may not be as well educated as
yourselves; re-educating and changing long-held and ingrained opinions
takes time and kindness, not a whack over the knuckles. As I thought you
would have learnt from training your cats. Save the hostility for the
trolls.

Old October 17th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

I spend a lot of time jealously prowling US pet sites....you guys get
everything I only know of 2 aussie ones similar, and they charge waaaay
more. Oh well. I'll get over it one day. I wish aussie attitudes to cats
where different; I had to bite my tongue when my friend was over the other
day; she has a 'problem cat' apparently and was trying to 'do a swap' for
one of my carefully raised boys....not on your life. I wish I could take the
poor thing, but I am at full capacity and if I take another, esp. with the
baggae this one has, it would be too hard for mine to cope with. Although
I'm very tempted; the outlook for this poor boy isn't good.
What to do, what to do.....at least steffie here is going in the right
direction!!
which is more than I can say for most aussie 'cat lovers' grrrr lets keep
the nice ones....

news