Daisy's Complicated Allergy/Meds Problem

Old January 26th 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

Default Daisy's Complicated Allergy/Meds Problem

My Daisy is a 4 year old Snowshoe Siamese. She lives in my small studio
aprtment with her brother Mickey. Daisy is a timid cat and she often growls
(deep gutteral growling) and hisses at Mickey. Sometimes he deserves it, as
he throws her off the cat tree. Other times he is simply walking by her.
Yet, much of the time they co-exist peacefully, although not lovingly as
they did when they were kittens.

A few months ago I noticed a small patch of lost hair and raw skin on her
neck, just below her chin at the uppermost part of her neck she could reach
with her tounge. Within a few days it got larger and uglier, as she licked
at it incessently. I took her to the vet and they took a culture to test
for ringworm and gave me an antibiotic to give her. Taking her to the vet
was traumatic for the both of us. Both she and her brother hide from other
people and it was the first time in years she was confronted by another
human. Surprisingly, she seemed so frightened that she was very docile and
easily examined. I was absolutely amazed. Giving her meds is a very
difficult experience for both of us. She is not easily handled and if she
wants to hide behind the bed, It can't be done.

I brought her back after a week when it got no better. Both vets on duty
looked at her and consulted. They concluded that she had an allergic
reaction (alopcia, something) and that it was in an unusual place on her
body. They made me cut out all fish from her diet, and to examine all cans
of food for fish products, even beef foods. (Surprisingly, a turkey food
can sometimes be mixed with fish) They prescribed a steriod cortisone pill
dexamethosone? First, they gave her a strong shot of it. Then I gave her a
half pill every day for three doses, then every other day for three more
times then every third day for three more times. Luckily, I found a perfect
way to give her the pill. She loves little pieces of grilled cheese. So, I
crush the pill up and roll it on a piece of cheese and she eats and licks it
from my finger. Unfortunately, I have to have a grilled cheese sandwhich
every few days.

Within a few weeks she was almost 100%. The spot got smaller and smaller
and would occassionally scab up. The scab fell off and the skin underneath
healed and then a smaller scab, etc. The hair started growing back. Then,
she had a small set back and I was told to continue the regiment, although I
had come to the end of our original prescription.

So, two weeks later she is 100%, all the hair is back and the spot
non-existent. Then, last night, after not having medicine for 4 or 5 days,
she starts licking it raw again.

I am very stressed out and concerned about this whole affair. She has
undoubtedly increased her appetite and water intake, so I am worried the
drugs could bring on Diabetes. Although, the water intake is not
outrageous. She has become a bit more docile, and for that I'm happy,
although, it really isn't her way and it bothers me.

The vet says she may have to stay on a low dose cortisone forever, although
not necessarily this one. She says she may be allergic to something else,
dust or perfume in the kitty litter. If its dust, then we're all out of
luck, as I am a bachelor and could NEVER clean this place sufficiently.
There is no perfume in the litter, but I told the vet I do burn incense, and
she said that might be the culprit. I also thought the problem might be
stress related from the other cat, but the vet said the culture indicated an
allergy.

So, I am concerned about a host of things, and worried, and very tired of
eating grilled cheese sandwiches. Anyone out there have any ideas, support,
anecdotes, etc., that might help me and Daisy through this. If she gets
Diabetes from the drugs, it would be catostrophic, as I am not living the
kind of lifestyle where I could give her the constant care she would need.
I do not like the idea of her on meds forever, especially strong meds. I
hate seeing her lick herself raw.

Old January 26th 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Sara

I know this will sound too simple, but does she eat out of
plastic dishes? many cats are allergic to that, use glass or
stainless and see if that helps

Sara

Old January 26th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

No, not simplistic. I've heard that before. She eats out of a metal bowl
and drinks water out of a ceramic one.

news:qtCdnWwhJ7lHxiTYnZ2dnUVZ_uSgnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old January 26th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Spot

OK..........clean the place up with a good vacumning. Stop burning the
inscence, use only vinegar and water to clean with (ie scrubbing floors &
counters), no arerosols, don't use carpet deodorizes cut out anything that
she could be having a reaction to and see if it clears up. If not then I
would suggest changing foods Fancy Feast is a good one to go with for cats
who have allergies since it doesn't have all that garbage in that the other
manufacturers put in. If the Fancy Feast doesn't work I would try a
precscription diet from the vets office.

Celeste

Old January 26th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

I assume you would discourage the use of air freheneers or deodorizers.
What would you use to cover up the smell of a litter box, or other normal
but otherwise offensive household smells? I assume spraying the air with
lysol is a no-no.

Old January 26th 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Rhonda

I'm sorry you guys are going through this. Getting a cat to the vet is
so traumatic for some cats -- I've been through that too. By the time I
get both of us home, I just want to cry! We have some former ferals and
it sounds like your kitties.

We had a cat with suspected food allergies. The stand-in vet gave him a
steroid shot, and he got diabetes quickly. In three weeks he had lost a
ton a weight and was drinking and peeing way more than normal. I would
be worried about your cat getting diabetes too. Another vet told me you
really have to watch those allergy shots. I would think they'd want to
try to find the allergy instead of treating the symptoms forever.

Our cat went on IVD brand food, it is a prescription canned food with
limited ingredients. Many cats are allergic to the normal proteins like
beef, or to normal grains. IVD has one novel protein (like duck or
venison) and one odd starch (like peas.) He did not have any more
allergy problems after starting this. We also used Waltham brand limited
ingredient food from Petsmart (also a prescription) and he did well on
that too.

Good luck finding your cat's problem. You might talk to more people
about the steroids but here in this house -- no cat gets steroids orally
or by injection unless it is life or death.

Rhonda

Old January 26th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Rhonda

By the way, about the grilled cheese -- I'd get tired of that too!

They make a treat called Pill Pockets that has a little hole in it to
insert a pill. That worked on our cat a few times when the pill was
small. I had to feed him an extra one first so he didn't suspect anything.

I've also used Whiskers Lickin' moist treats, broken them in two and
molded it around the pill. It can be more tricky because it can be
crumbly, you have to mold it around and really squeeze it together.

A little tuna works too, but I don't know how much of this kind of thing
you want to try on your cat if he is allergic to some foods.

Rhonda

Old January 26th 07, 05:17 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Phil P.

"sdavies6" wrote in message
I assume you would discourage the use of air freheneers or deodorizers.

Absolutely

What would you use to cover up the smell of a litter box,

Scoop it frequently- whenever there is waste in it and change the litter
every 2-4 weeks.

or other normal
but otherwise offensive household smells?

Clean the house more frequently or more throughly.

I assume spraying the air with
lysol is a no-no.

Absolutely! Lysol is definitely toxic to cats.

If its dust, then
we're all out of luck, as I am a bachelor and could NEVER clean this
place sufficiently.

Why not? It doesn't take a special skill or formal training to vacuum and
dust adequately- just a little effort.

There is no perfume in the litter, but I told the vet
I do burn incense, and she said that might be the culprit.

Definitely a very strong possibility if not a probably. Cut out the incense
for a few months an see it helps.

I also
thought the problem might be stress related from the other cat, but the
vet said the culture indicated an allergy.

So, I am concerned about a host of things, and worried, and very tired

of
eating grilled cheese sandwiches.

If she just likes the cheese- melt a small piece.

Anyone out there have any ideas,
support, anecdotes, etc., that might help me and Daisy through this.

If
she gets Diabetes from the drugs,

Speak to your vet about long-acting subcutaneous injections of
methylprednisolone acetate. Unless there's a serious underlying problem, she
probably won't need more than two or three in*duction injections 2 weeks
apart. If maintenance shots are needed, she probably won't need them more
frequently than every 8 weeks. On this protocol- most cats don't experience
any side effects. But this is a *last resort*. You have to try as hard as
you can to find and eliminate the cause.

it would be catostrophic, as I am not
living the kind of lifestyle where I could give her the constant care

she
would need.

Sometimes we all have to make adjustments in our lifestyle for the benefit
of our cats- its part of the commitment you made when you adopted her and
became entrusted with her life and well-being. She depends on you to take
the best possible care of her that you can.

I do not like the idea of her on meds forever, especially
strong meds. I hate seeing her lick herself raw.

Cut out the incense for a few months since that's the most likely suspect.
If that doesn't help, try a food elimination trial with Prescription Diet
z/d Ultra Allergen-Free.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old January 26th 07, 06:01 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

"sdavies6" wrote in message
I assume you would discourage the use of air freheneers or deodorizers.
What would you use to cover up the smell of a litter box, or other normal
but otherwise offensive household smells? I assume spraying the air with
lysol is a no-no.

I use Maxx multicat clumping kitty litter. I'm ashamed to say that
occasionally, I've gone a few days without cleaning my cat's litter box, but
even then there's still been no odour. Once in awhile, I've asked visitors
to my apartment if they can smell any obnoxious odour and I've always been
told "no". You might want to give it a try. Admittedly, it's a little bit
costlier than some of the cheap brands, but I'm very impressed with it and
feel it's worth every cent.

http://www.purina.ca/products/catbox...maxxmultiscoop

Old January 26th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

Thanks to all with your suggestions. I'll respond to all here.

As for the cleanliness of my house, I unerstand how it came off. I live in
a small cramped studio apt. in NYC, for the past 30years. There are a
million places I cannot get to except for special occassions. Like my old
entertainment unit which I took apart to upgrade equipment and had years of
dust in the back, and similar other places a cat can get into which I rarely
do. I've had cats here for 30 years, these are my third pair. None have
ever been allergic to anything, let alone the dust. So, it came as a
surprise when Daisy, who I got as a rescue with her brother since they were
10 weeks, suddenly exhibited an allergic reaction on her neck, just two
months shy of her 4th birthday. BTW, they were never feral. They were born
in captivity.

I'm not as concerned with litter over the few days, as I do clean it
regularly. Sometimes, they can really stink up th eplace, especially if it
isn't burried. For that matter, I can too. I was just wondering what an
acceptable deodorant would be, if I am keeping away from aerosals.

The pill pockets worked for two doses. After that she looked at it , and if
a cat could snicker, you know that's what she was doing.

I'm really concerned about not finding the root cause of this, and having to
possibly keep her on these meds for a long time. I'll speak to my vet about
those injectable meds that were mentioned.\

Thanks again.