Spot-On - Time to work for ear mites?

Old September 3rd 08, 05:07 AM
MaxMom MaxMom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ontario, Canada
Unhappy Spot-On - Time to work for ear mites?

Hi - I'm new here and need all the wisdom I can get for my Max. (I also have Baby, but she's not suffering as badly).

Max has had ear mites for quite some time and I tried Baby oil and cotton swabbing them, but after a month there was no difference and they had gone to his tail causing hair loss. So, 2 days ago I bought some Zodiac Spot-On and I'm wondering first of all if anyone knows how long it will take to see if it is working or not and secondly, does anyone know if I can put ear-mite drops in
his ears while he has the Zodiac stuff on him? If anyone has any ideas about what to do about his dry fur I would really appreciate any help I can get for this or, will that just get better when the ear mites disappear?

Your help is very, very appreciated and direly needed.
Thanks,
MaxMom
Old September 3rd 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Spot-On - Time to work for ear mites?

"MaxMom" wrote in message

Hi - I'm new here and need all the wisdom I can get for my Max. (I also
have Baby, but she's not suffering as badly).

Max has had ear mites for quite some time and I tried Baby oil and
cotton swabbing them, but after a month there was no difference and
they had gone to his tail causing hair loss.

What does your vet say?

Old September 3rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

--

I wouldn't fool with any over the counter remedy for ear mites. Ear
mites are very contagious and can cause the cat a lot of discomfort.
Old September 3rd 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I wouldn't fool with any over the counter remedy for ear mites. Ear
mites are very contagious and can cause the cat a lot of discomfort.
Your vet can clean out the ears safely and prescribe something that
really works, like Revolution.
-yngver

I agree. With the money you've spent on OTC stuff, you could have paid
for a vet visit and some prescription medication. If they truly are
that bad, please get to a vet soon. Mites can, eventually, cause
hearing loss.
Old September 3rd 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Sep 3, 9:06*am, "Rene S." wrote:
I wouldn't fool with any over the counter remedy for ear mites. Ear
mites are very contagious and can cause the cat a lot of discomfort.
Your vet can clean out the ears safely and prescribe something that
really works, like Revolution.
-yngver

I agree. With the money you've spent on OTC stuff, you could have paid
for a vet visit and some prescription medication. If they truly are
that bad, please get to a vet soon. Mites can, eventually, cause
hearing loss.

My local PetsMart has a vet. On Monday & Wednesday afternoons it's
free check ups.
Old September 3rd 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I wanted to hear from anyone who had successfully handled this problem
themselves. *But, thanks for taking the time to reply.

For very minor cases of ear mites, it's possible to treat it yourself.
When it's a more serious case, like what yours sounds like, it's
nearly impossible to treat it yourself. I think that's why everyone
here suggested a vet visit.

Old September 3rd 08, 05:37 PM
MaxMom MaxMom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngver View Post

Old September 3rd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MaxMom" wrote

I wanted to hear from anyone who had successfully handled this problem
themselves. But, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ass.

Old September 3rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, MaxMom exclaimed (9/3/2008 12:37 PM):
yngver;646179 Wrote:
On Sep 2, 11:07 pm, MaxMom wrote:-
[...]

---
I wouldn't fool with any over the counter remedy for ear mites. Ear
mites are very contagious and can cause the cat a lot of discomfort.
Your vet can clean out the ears safely and prescribe something that
really works, like Revolution.
-yngver

I wanted to hear from anyone who had successfully handled this problem
themselves. But, thanks for taking the time to reply.

MaxMom

The point is, with a case as bad as yours sounds like, nobody here has
successfully treated them without the vet's help.

Please take your kitty to the vet. Revolution works well, Meep's been
on it for some years now.

jmc