bringing in cat - update

Old May 22nd 05, 05:22 PM
jr via CatKB.com

Default bringing in cat - update

Sunday update:

Both cats have their claws but do have them trimmed. For the most part the
male (resident cat) ignores the door but when he hears the female (new
resident) he comes over and still growls and hisses. Just a few moments
ago, there was a lashing out between them, paws going after one another
(best that you can with a door only slightly ajar) and hissing on both
sides. I think I will hold off on a closer encounter for the next day or
two.

I do need to let the new cat roam the house so she can get familiar. I
guess I'll lock the male in another room so that she can do it. Neither
cat has the ability to get out of the house.

Thanks everyone for their hints.

Old May 22nd 05, 10:42 PM
John Doe

"jr via CatKB.com" wrote:

Sunday update:
Both cats have their claws

Great.

but do have them trimmed.

Keep them trimmed.

Just a few moments
ago, there was a lashing out between them, paws going after one
another (best that you can with a door only slightly ajar)

That is right. If she does not like it, she simply moves away from
the door.

and hissing on both sides. I think I will hold off on a closer
encounter for the next day or two.

I would not rush it at all. Amazing how slowly the relationship
can change.

I do need to let the new cat roam the house so she can get
familiar.

This might be a little complex, but if possible you might try to
give the defender (whatever that is) an out. Give it a place to
run away, or climb up to. Being indoors means it cannot run away.
I think that makes a lot of difference to a cat in how it copes. I
think it is very difficult.

Good luck.

Old May 23rd 05, 03:54 AM
jr via CatKB.com

This afternoon I left the resident cat in a room that he is very
comfortable in and closed the door and let the new cat roam the house. She
had a ball. After awhile I put her back in her 'safe' room. Still active
hissing at the door, but resident cat definitely doesn't spend all of his
waking hours at the door. She seems to retreat to a spot in the room that
he cannot see her (or her see him).

When they finally have their first real face-to-face encounter, do I just
let them be or should I be prepared to do any intervention? If so, what?

Old May 23rd 05, 04:28 AM

When they finally have their first real
face-to-face encounter, should I just let
them be

No. You need to carefully supervise and *never* allow the cats to fight.
Consider buying an inexpensive screen door and temporarily replacing the
existing door to the new cat's room with it. A screen door is a great
tool for cat introductions because they get used to seeing and smelling
each other at all hours without having the ability to get into fights.

You can read a good basic primer on introductions he
http://catsinternational.org/article...roduction.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 23rd 05, 06:00 AM
Phil P.

"jr via CatKB.com" wrote in message
This afternoon I left the resident cat in a room that he is very
comfortable in and closed the door and let the new cat roam the house.

She
had a ball. After awhile I put her back in her 'safe' room. Still active
hissing at the door, but resident cat definitely doesn't spend all of his
waking hours at the door. She seems to retreat to a spot in the room that
he cannot see her (or her see him).

When they finally have their first real face-to-face encounter, do I just
let them be or should I be prepared to do any intervention? If so, what?

Take a look at my site for some safe tips on introductions.

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Phil