"Best by" dates

Old July 8th 04, 03:52 PM
Steve Crane

"Cat Protector" wrote in message news:zQ%Gc.58014$rn1.512@okepread07...
How can you simply bet a cat's life on this. You may not think much of your
life but I don't think cats should be made to suffer because you insist on
putting their lives at risk. They put expiration dates on cans for a reason
but this seems to be lost on you.

Sigh,
I'm sure this is a waste of time but I would suggest you think about
the difference between the terms Probability and Possibility. It is
extremely, grotesquely, remotely, POSSIBLE that a canned food past
it's expiration may have botulism, have a massively bulged can and a
very ignorant pet owner who feeds something that smells putrid anyway.
That's a POSSIBILITY but not even a remote PROBABILITY. IF you choose
to live in a world of fear of all the POSSIBILITIES that's your
choice. Chicken Little liked that world as well and spent her life in
fear of the sky falling, which turned out not to be exactly a major
PROBABILITY either.
Old July 8th 04, 04:25 PM
Cat Protector

What does the great food debate have to do with spoiled food? BTW, there is
nothing wrong with feeding cats store bought brands. Both my cats are
perfectly healthy and fine.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"KellyH" wrote in message
Haha! What you said is sad, but true. At the shelter a local feed store
donated some Wellness canned food that was past it's "best by" date, and

we
kept that. Whenever someone donates Special Kitty or other crappy foods,

we
give those to the feral trappers to use as bait.

CP, I'm being totally serious he You keep talking about "risking cat's
lives". In all honesty, *you* are risking your cats' lives by feeding

them
crap like Special Kitty. They are young now and may appear healthy, but I
bet they are going to end up having health problems when they are older.
Get off the wallet and buy them some decent food, if you love them so

much.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old July 8th 04, 04:26 PM
Cat Protector

I guess it is a waste of time because it is obvious that I don't wish to put
a cat's life at risk by giving them spoiled food.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

om...

Old July 8th 04, 04:31 PM
Sherry

I guess it is a waste of time because it is obvious that I don't wish to put
a cat's life at risk by giving them spoiled food.

Ever wonder what's in Special Kitty?

Sherry

Old July 8th 04, 04:40 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I guess it is a waste of time because it is obvious that I don't wish to

put
a cat's life at risk by giving them spoiled food.

The point is that it won't be spoiled. The processing used for canning
being the reason.

This isn't a good analogy, but it's what I'm coming up with at the moment:

Imagine leaving some saltines on the counter for an hour or so on a humid
day, sans their wrapping. They won't taste quite as good after an hour
because they won't be as crisp as they were before left out on the counter.
But are they spoiled? Will they make you sick? No & no.

Cathy

Old July 8th 04, 04:45 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I guess it is a waste of time because it is obvious that I don't wish to

put
a cat's life at risk by giving them spoiled food.

Did you even read any of the stuff Megan or Steve posted? Canned food that
is past its "best if used by" date is NOT SPOILED!!! It's just not at it's
"best", not as tasty. The food is not rancid or spoiled. If the can is
bulging and the food smells putrid, then yes it is, but that can also happen
while a can is still in its "best by" time frame. The above goes for human
food as well as cat food.