"Best by" dates

Old July 8th 04, 04:45 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:WIdHc.60934$rn1.30591@okepread07...
I guess it is a waste of time because it is obvious that I don't wish to

put
a cat's life at risk by giving them spoiled food.

Did you even read any of the stuff Megan or Steve posted? Canned food that
is past its "best if used by" date is NOT SPOILED!!! It's just not at it's
"best", not as tasty. The food is not rancid or spoiled. If the can is
bulging and the food smells putrid, then yes it is, but that can also happen
while a can is still in its "best by" time frame. The above goes for human
food as well as cat food.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old July 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Arjun Ray

In ,
(Steve Crane) wrote:

| Sigh, I'm sure this is a waste of time

Most assuredly it is. Please ignore our village idiot.

Old July 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Arjun Ray

Old July 8th 04, 04:57 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
What does the great food debate have to do with spoiled food? BTW, there

is
nothing wrong with feeding cats store bought brands. Both my cats are
perfectly healthy and fine.

The comparison is being made that slightly past its prime Wellness or Innova
is superior food to within-its-best-by-date Special Kitty.

Yes there is something wrong with feeding cats store brand cat food. Do you
even read some of the information that is posted on here? Since you're apt
to compare cats to children think about this: Feeding your cat Special
Kitty every day is the same as feeding your child McDonald's and Twinkies
every day. Sure, they may be fine for a while, but the stuff will kill
them. I'm looking at a can of Wellness right now. The first several
ingredients a Turkey, Chicken Liver, Whitefish, Turkey Broth, Salmon,
Sweet Potatoes, Carrots. What are the first ingredients in a can of Special
Kitty?

Plus, you don't even take your cats to a regular vet, where they can take
the time to thoroughly examine the cats and keep a record of their health.
You just take them for the low-cost Humane Society vaccines. Do they keep
health records of your cats? That's very important for noticing trends in
weight loss/gain, bloodwork values, etc.

In general, I think you are a good-hearted, well-intentioned person. I
think you really want to do the best for your cats. I'm just trying to
point out that there are some basic things you can do so that you can help
your cats live long, healthy, lives.

Old July 8th 04, 04:58 PM
disgruntled hamster

There is a very real difference between drinking expired milk and
eating canned food that happens to be a couple months past the sell-by
date. Namely that milk has an extremely short shelf life and is very
quick to spoil under even the most favorable conditions- which isn't
the case with canned items. Milk (unless it happens to be *canned*
milk, in which case the spoilage wouldn't be an issue) is processed,
packaged, stored, and sold in an entirely different manner than canned
goods. The two aren't even comparable.

That's like attempting to liken a can of tuna that's a month past its
sell by to a piece of fresh tuna left sitting on the kitchen counter
for a month. There's no comparison.

Donated slightly outdated premium foods make it possible for shelters
to provide their cats with optimum nutrition at an affordable cost.
Obviously we disagree on the matter, but personally, I would much
rather see these cats receiving a perfectly fine high-quality food
that happens to be a few months past the sell-by than subsisting on an
inexpensive less nutritious, sub-par low-quality food to keep costs
down. I would *gladly* feed my own cats a slightly outdated can of
Innova or Nutro before I'd hit the Job Lot and buy them a case of
"fresh" generic low-quality filler.

Seriously, even if you like to be on the safe side, manufacturers are
always going to err well on the side of caution in selecting a best if
used by date for their food, because they don't want to take even the
slim chance of somebody purchasing an off product. The food isn't
going to magically undergo some radical change from being perfectly
fine on March 24 to being completely inedible the next day, March 25,
just because that happens to be the sell by date.

Old July 8th 04, 05:09 PM
Cat Protector

Is name calling the best way you can make people hear you? Villiage idiot, I
think not. I prefer to be safer than sorry.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old July 8th 04, 06:40 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote:

Yes, that would be the same weenie.

Oh, now, I don't think we are allowed to call him a "weenie." How friendly
is that? After all, as long as he is doing SOMETHING good for cats, he's
okay in "L's" book. Feeding Special Kitty must be better than nothing at
all, right?