Orphaned kittens

Old May 22nd 04, 02:54 AM
Kanga Mum

Default Orphaned kittens

We live in the country in northwest Indiana, very small, depressed
area, we moved here last fall.
A stray cat showed up and gave birth to five kittens somewhere on our
property. We discovered them when their eyes were open, and she moved
them to our dilapidated barn.

This week Mama Cat was hit and killed by a car.
We've been feeding the babies a home-made formula we found on the
internet, and I think they are doing alright, but I'd like them to do
better. We cannot afford a vet for these babies, and I don't feel
good about the county shelter. How would we find out about any rescue
groups in our area? I have scant faith that there is such a group,
but I could be wrong. There is not a pet store in either of the
nearest towns (15 and 20 minutes away). Meanwhile, what else should
we be doing?

I've searched your archives and found another formula that looked
pretty good (1999/07/21 by Lani Scott), and that thread had a lot of
useful information.

Is there more we should know? How do we find out more about how old
the kittens are? They are getting teeth, their eyes are open but dark
blue. They walk, albeit a little shakily. They climb out of their
box.

Kanga
Old May 22nd 04, 05:01 AM
Aimee S

Hi,

Here is a really good site I've found on the internet, it also has a
formula for kittens that I've used and worked really well. I also live
in a rural part of Pa. so I understand what your going through, it's not
easy, but you CAN do it. And God bless you for trying.
There is a lot of imformation on this site that can hopefully help you.

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...%2Fnewborn.htm

Old May 22nd 04, 05:03 AM
Aimee S

Also, if I can help you in any way, feel free to email me.

Aimee

Old May 22nd 04, 05:03 AM
Aimee S

Old May 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Mary

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

Old May 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Mary

Old May 23rd 04, 12:15 AM
~*Connie*~

Kudos to you for taking them in. I see others have posted very helpful
info, so I wont repeat it, but I had to thank you for taking care of them.
Feel free to post any questions you might have!

m...

Old May 23rd 04, 01:14 AM
Kanga Mum

Thanks for all the help. I have great news- Today we had to be in
town all day to help Grandma with a yard sale, so we took the kittens
(since we would not be home to feed them).
A family came by and said they had a mama cat who has fostered babies
before, and the mama currently had a couple of kittens the same age as
ours, as near as we can tell. We exchanged numbers and addresses, and
they took the kittens home to see if the mama cat would take them.
She did! She began licking them immediately, and we understand they
are making themselves right at home. We can visit them whenever we
like, and when they are old enough to be weaned, we will take them
back.

Kanga