Cat at vet--need some hand holding

Old April 25th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat at vet--need some hand holding

I dropped off Ginger this morning for some bloodwork and a UA. She's my CRF
cat that *had* been doing very well, until we went on vacation for a week.
We had a pet-sitter who stayed at the house and took care of the animals.
When we returned, there was evidence that she'd been pooping behind my
computer desk. That resolved, but it became apparent a few weeks later
(just a few days ago) that she wasn't peeing in the litterbox that was only
a few feet away.

I'm so torn and so sad about this kitty--she's been happy lately, always out
and purring, but I really can't have her peeing all over my study. Once I
realized she wasn't using the box, I made an appointment with my vet and
moved her into the laundry room. She was so unhappy in there.

To make everything worse, Ginger is a ... special kitty. I got her from my
hay guy, and I think she's *highly* inbred. In addition to oddly formed
legs and head, she's really not very bright, and I don't think she can see
very well. Because of her issues, I don't think it's fair at all to confine
her to the laundry room on a long term basis. She just doesn't handle it
well.

So, I don't know what to do. I guess I'm hoping her UA will come back
bad--at least then I'll have something to treat, and maybe she'll start
using the box again. If it's all normal, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks for listening,

Corey

Old April 25th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My heart goes out to you and Ginger. Let us know how it goes.
My best, L

Old April 26th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

LB wrote:

My heart goes out to you and Ginger. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks LB, Matthew and those of you who emailed me.

Good news: we have a medical cause for the inappropriate peeing.

Bad news: sure looks like her ureters are partially blocked with stones.

Ginger is still with the vet--he hasn't been able to palpate her bladder all
day. He took a radiograph to get an idea of where her bladder was, and
found the stones. Her kidneys look clear, but her bladder is oddly
radio-opaque.

So, my vet is running some fluids, taking a couple more radiographs, getting
some pain meds on board, and will attempt to get urine later today.

(There have been pee spots in her litterbox, which is cleaned daily, so I
know that she can pass SOME urine.)

This is SO frustrating. Two months ago, her urine was free of crystals or
stones, and her radiographs looked FINE. I switched her to Royal Canin
renal diet from Innova after her CRF diagnosis, started her on sub-q fluids
at home, and her bloodwork came back better. Now this.

Poor kitty

Corey

Old April 26th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Corey Kaye" wrote in message
LB wrote:

[...]

Corey it will all work out some way some how there is a plan even though
we may not see it or understand may not even want it to happens. Everyone
is purring and praying for a good outcome. It can be so frustrating when we
have something we love with all our heart is hurt or in pain and there is
nothing we can do but be there and do the best we can for them.
Just remember Corey THEY KNOW AND WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER
They know keep that in your heart it will help at night trust me!

Old April 26th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Corey Kaye" wrote in message
. ..
I dropped off Ginger this morning for some bloodwork and a UA. She's my
CRF
cat that *had* been doing very well, until we went on vacation for a week.
We had a pet-sitter who stayed at the house and took care of the animals.
When we returned, there was evidence that she'd been pooping behind my
computer desk. That resolved, but it became apparent a few weeks later
(just a few days ago) that she wasn't peeing in the litterbox that was
only
a few feet away.

The walls of the litter pan are probably too high for her to step over
because of weakness in her hind legs. You can get a plastic storage box top
and put newspapers on that for her. After my cat, Sara, began peeing in the
bedroom, I put newspapers down for her, and she then did her business on
those.

Old April 26th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

This is SO frustrating. Two months ago, her urine was free of crystals or
stones, and her radiographs looked FINE. I switched her to Royal Canin
renal diet from Innova after her CRF diagnosis, started her on sub-q fluids
at home, and her bloodwork came back better. Now this.

Cory, if you were feeding RC Renal LP pouch food, that was recalled by the
company (along with some of their other vet foods too for both cats and dogs)
due to the fact that it had too much vitamin D in it which could cause
hypercalcemia in pets (and did to some): If you were feeding this food,
please contact your vet about this. RC should have contacted all
veterinarians regarding this and the vets were supposed to send the products
back and contact thier clients who were feeding it. I think RC is paying for
all bills for testing animals who were eating their food.

http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm
http://www.dailytidings.com/2006/Mar...031706c1.shtml

Old April 26th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna via CatKB.com wrote:

Cory, if you were feeding RC Renal LP pouch food, that was recalled
by the company (along with some of their other vet foods too for both
cats and dogs) due to the fact that it had too much vitamin D in it
which could cause hypercalcemia in pets (and did to some): If you
were feeding this food, please contact your vet about this. RC
should have contacted all veterinarians regarding this and the vets
were supposed to send the products back and contact thier clients who
were feeding it. I think RC is paying for all bills for testing
animals who were eating their food.

Hi Anna,

I remember when that notice came out!

Ginger was on the RC Renal LP dry. I tried and tried to get her to eat the
pouches--or any wet food, for that matter--and she said no way, no how.

Thanks for the reminder, though. Maybe I'll contact Royal Canin with
Ginger's info, just to let them know. I have no idea if their food had any
role in Ginger's condition today (for all I know, this would have just been
the natural progression of events) but I do think it's odd that she had NO
crystals on Innova, and now her urine is loaded with calcium oxalate.

Corey

Old April 26th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat at vet--update, what the vet says

Poor Ginger.

My vet loaded her with fluids, gave her some pain meds and finally got some
urine.

It was NASTY. RBCs, WBCs, clumps of RBCs and WBCs, tons and tons of rods
and loads of calcium oxalate crystals.

The ventrodorsal radiograph clearly showed a stone in each ureter. Kidneys
were obscured by fecal matter, so it's not really known if there are kidney
stones. The lateral radiograph didn't show anything obvious in the kidneys.

Bloodwork should be back tomorrow, but I doubt it'll look very good,
considering how sick she is.

So, she's on 100cc's sub-q fluids daily, X/D food (trying to get her to eat
the canned, but she's never been interested in canned), 21 days of Zenequin,
pain meds, and a B vitamin complex. Recheck after the AB's are completed.

She came home looking more "normal" than when she left, which I'm glad for.
She never displayed typical cat in pain mannerisms, but wasn't acting
normal--one very noticable change was she was purring ALL the time. I guess
now I know that means she's hurting.

In addition to the standard vet medicine, I'm considering the remedy found
about halfway down on this page: http://www.holisticat.com/kidst_arch.html
Can't hurt, might help? Any reason I shouldn't?

Corey

Old April 26th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ryan Robbins wrote:

The walls of the litter pan are probably too high for her to step over
because of weakness in her hind legs. You can get a plastic storage
box top and put newspapers on that for her. After my cat, Sara, began
peeing in the bedroom, I put newspapers down for her, and she then
did her business on those.

Not the case with Ginger--she was willing to use the box when confined to
the the laundry room. She's also only 6, and has good muscle tone.

The cause turned out to be stones, crystals, infection...hopefully all
fixable

Thanks,

Corey