Agressive Cat Advice

Old May 6th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Agressive Cat Advice

Spot wrote:
Do you have any toys that you can play with her with. Stuff like a feather
on the end of a string you, can find all kinds of stuff at the pet store. I
would start by trying to get rid of some of that energy and play with her.
One of my cats favorite toys is a laser pointer. My calico will chase it
around till she'd drop from exhaustion if I left her.

Are you sure some of this aggression isn't part play to her. Alot of
kittens bite and scratch when they play and even though she's older it
sounds like she hasn't learned when to stop.

Joe gives you good advide also a water bottle is a must.

You never squirt an agressive declawed biting cat with a water bottle.
Declawed biting cats bite because they are scared.

As for the declawing & biting, I'm probably going to get hell here but not
all cats that are declawed become biters

More than 23% do in some studies.

and not all of them have urination
problems.

More than 53% do, in some studies.

Here are a number of studies which prove how detrimental declawing is
to cats (from an old post):

***paste***

1. "Four percent of the cats began to defecate out of box and
12% began to bite after onychectomy."
ref: Bennett M, Houpt KA, Erb HN. Effects of declawing on feline
behavior. Comp Anim Pract 1988;2:7-12.

2. Retrospective survey of 887 cat owners from private practices.
Clients were asked to fill out a survey on the incidence of aggressive
behaviors in their cats. "Twenty three percent of declawed cats
bit family members; 2.3% of each seriously enough for medical
attention."
ref: Borchelt PL, Voith VL. Aggressive behavior in cats. Compend
Contin Educ Pract Vet 1987;9:49-57.

3. "Twenty four percent of the cats had short-term postoperative
complications including, two hemorrhage, one infection, and one change
in behavior. Mean and median days until walking normally were 6.3 and
7 days, respectively, range 1-21 days. One cat did not walk
normally for 180 days."
ref: Jankowski AJ, Brown DC, Duval J, et al. Comparison of effects of
elective tenectomy or onychectomy in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc
1998;213:370-373.

4. Retrospective written survey of private practice clients. Owners
reported that "34% had discomfort post-surgically, primarily
tenderness (78%). Cats done 1 yr had more post-surgical discomfort;
41% were still allowed outdoors. 4% reported a possible increase in
biting or harder biting."
ref: Landsberg GM. Cat owners'; attitudes toward declawing.
Anthrozoos 1991;4:192-197

5. Retrospective mail survey of veterinarians. 320/400 returned
questionnaires. "78.4% of the vets did not advocate declawing. 47%
veterinarians' recollections indicated no problems, 53% reported
complications; 24.9% reported nail regrowth, 9.9% reported
additional long term problems."
ref: Landsberg GM. Declawing is controversial but saves pets. A
veterinarian survey. Vet Forum 1991;8:66-67.

6. Assessment of complications seven days and six months post-surgery,
in a clinical setting. Two techniques for onychectomy and two
adhesives for wound closure were compared. "66% of the cats returned
for both one week and six-month clinician rechecks. Lameness occurred
in 21% of all cats. Dehiscence (opening of the wound) occurred in 34%
of all cats."
ref: Martinez SA, Hauptmann J, Walshaw R. Comparing two techniques for
onychectomy in cats and two adhesives for wound closure. Vet Med 1993;
88:516-525.

7. Cross sectional internet survey. "19.6% cats in the study were
declawed. Complication rates after declawing were not reported.
Declawed cats showed more house soiling (25%)."
ref: Morgan M, Houpt KA. Feline behavior problems: the influence of
declawing. Anthrozoos 1989;3:50-53.

8. Case-control study of owned and relinquished cats involving a
random digit dial (phone) survey of cat owners. "Prevalence of
declawing was 45%(476/1056) in the owned cat population. Among 218
cats relinquished to a shelter, more (52.4%) declawed cats than
non-declawed cats (29.1%) were reported by owners to have
inappropriate elimination".
ref: Patronek, GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, et al. Risk factors for
relinquishment of cats to an animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc
1996;209:582-588.

9. Retrospective phone follow-up of clients. "39/98 owners whose cats
underwent elective onychectomy or tendonectomy were contacted two
months to five years (median 11.5 months) after surgery. 80% had more
than one medical complication. 33% developed at least one behavior
problem; 15.4% would not use the litter box and 17.9% had an increase
in biting habits or intensity".
ref: Yeon SC, Flanders JA, Scarlett JM, et al. Attitudes of owners
regarding tendonectomy and onychectomy in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc
2001;218:43-47.

And from another post (some of these may be repeats)
1. Veterinary Surgery Journal:

50% post surgical complication rate (Vet Surg 1994
Jul-Aug;23(4):274-80)

Greater incidence of inappropriate elimination problems: More
"(52.4%) declawed cats than non-declawed cats (29.1%) were reported by
owners to have inappropriate elimination problems." Source: 1. 50%
post surgical complication rate (Vet Surg 1994
Jul-Aug;23(4):274-80)

2. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association:

19.8% long-term complication rate (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998 Aug
1;213(3):370-3)

"high complication rate for [declawing]" (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998
Aug 1;213(3):370-3)

Declawing is 100% preventable. "The most common reason for considering
declawing is to avoid damage caused by the cat scratching household
materials", which can be dealth with by less invasive measures (J Am
Vet Med Assoc 2001 Jan 1;218(1):43-7)

3. World Small Animal Veterinary Association - 2001:

Greater incidence of inappropriate elimination problems: More
"(52.4%) declawed cats than non-declawed cats (29.1%) were reported by
owners to have inappropriate elimination problems."

Greater incidence of long-term behavior problems :
"(33%) developed at least one behavior problem."
"(17.9%) had an increase in biting habits or intensity."
"(15.4%) would not use the litter box"

"Where possible legislation should be enacted to prohibit the
performance
of non-therapeutic surgical procedures for purely cosmetic purposes,
in
particular; d. Declawing and defanging."

4. Canadian Veterinary Journal:

Puts cats at risk for leg fracture (Can Vet J 1998 Jun;39(6):337-8)

****end paste

While I prefer to never declaw a cat I have had to do so because
some cats no matter what you provide for scratching will destroy your
furniture.

You simply do not know how to train a cat, then. It is never necessary
to declaw a cat unless the claw is damaged or diseased.

Growing up we had cats and none of them were ever declawed and
furniture destruction was never an issue but with my current three it's a
big issue. I would have absolutely no furniture left if I hadn't had it
done.

Yes you would, if you knew how to properly train a cat.

Not one of my cats bite, none of them are aggressive and I have never
had any issues with anyone going outside the litter box.

Yet...

-L.

keywords: declawing statistics data research literature

Old May 6th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi Ellie,
Thank you so much for all of that advice. I began training her
properly when she was a kitten. I used the loud voice "NO", the spray
bottle and other techniques given to me by the vet and books. I am
unable tog get another cat for her to play with. I have been
determined to help Michelin. I have been working on this for almost 2
years. Only now, I have looked to forums like this for help.
There was a situation that occurred when she was a kitten and I was
wondering if this could have something to do with her aggressive
behavior. Michelin was about 8 months and she was playing with one of
those feather things that bounce. They are a cat toy that clips to the
doorframe. She was playing with it, like she always does, and I found
her with the bird in her mouth and she ran and wrapped around a table
leg. She wasn't breathing anymore. In panic, I unwrapped her and
brought her to the kitchen counter. The string was so tight. I had
difficulty cutting with a knife. When I did, she still wasn't moving.
I had two little boys watching me (I was babysitting) so I started
breathing in it's nose to make her come back. After a few breaths she
did. I consulted the vet and he said she was fine. It took her a few
minutes to get back to being a playful kitten but she did. Do you
think this lack of oxygen could have done something to her??

Old May 6th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
[...]

No, it was the lack of oxygen to your brain that caused you to have her
declawed that caused this biting issue.

Old May 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
Hi Ellie,

...but she did. Do you
think this lack of oxygen could have done something to her??

don't pay him no mind
he's what you call a nun

ain't had nun don't want nun aint goin get nun