High WBC, vet no help - need answers fast...

Old July 8th 03, 03:33 PM
Christine

The reason I haven't brought him back to the vet is that they've been
pretty uncooperative. Not the vet herself, but the office. I called
there (twice) to try to get the PCV result, and I had to essentially
lay out the whole story to some desk person who then just said they
could either have the vet that saw him originally call me back
tomorrow (today - Tuesday), or I could bring him in again. Never mind
that they have a doctor there 24x7 that can probably read a piece of
paper, or that I was just asking them to tell ME the number and *I*
will interpret it - I did pay $130 for those test results, after all.
When I talked to the vet at 3:30pm she didn't seem to think that
practically speaking, there was much to do besides wait to see if
either the antibiotics/fluids helped, or if the lab bloodwork reported
anything unusual. She looked in his mouth and didn't say anything
about him looking pale. He had dental work last fall, so I don't his
teeth should be in pretty good shape. Of course there are other
things such as testing for diabetes and doing ultrasounds, but she
didn't really think that either of those would show anything specific.
So, I didn't bring him in because I was following the original
veterinary instructions, and I didn't want to put him through it if it
wasn't necessary.

Tuttan's going to his regular vet today, which is 45 mins away but at
least we can trust them there to call us back. I plan on telling the
24x7 vet (who I was actually pretty happy with) about the situation at
the office there. I spent $450 on Sunday, and they can't have the
on-call doctor call me back AT HIS CONVENIENCE, to read/interpret one
lab number for me? I guess they don't want the repeat business from
Tuttan or our three other cats.

Christine and Tuttan

Old July 9th 03, 05:49 AM
MaryL

"Christine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is completely unreasonable. My vet will give me copies of any records
I want, and they will also provide information over the phone. When you do
talk to this vet, I would ask for a copy of all tests and then take that to
your own vet. That way, you will at least have the records available in an
office that is more cooperative. If necessary, ask your vet to contact
their office and arrange to have the test results mailed or faxed.

MaryL

Old July 9th 03, 12:39 PM
MK

I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you the
result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.

Most emergency clinics fax a copy of the record to your regular veterinarian
automatically, so they may have it already.

The WBC count may or may not mean much, depending on how high it was. I'm
guessing that if they got a WBC count they probably got a PCV with that, so
hopefully if the cat was anemic that would have been addressed.

MK DVM

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It is, isn't it. I've had the same thing happen where the techs won't
read me a dx over the phone saying the vet has to. When Shadow had
his biopsy for IBD it took two weeks to get the results because the
vet who did the procedure went on vacation the day after it was done.
They also wouldn't give me his liver values over the phone until she
came back.