Aggressive Cat and Kittens - Part 2

Old August 1st 05, 04:42 AM
rose ricciuto

Default Aggressive Cat and Kittens - Part 2

For those who remember - I was worried about an extremely aggressive 3
yr old cat and introducing 2 kittens to the family. The aggressive
neutered male is in terror of the kittens now that they are officially
"in the house." He actually makes bleating meows when faced with them.
He's still mean to the other adult cats but the kittens have him
baffled.
The kittens have survived coccidia and upper respiratory infections and
are healthy and a joy.
Our vet couldn't believe the smallest one survived since he was so ill
and only weighed .8 lb when we rescued him. He's up to 3 . 2 lb now.

Old August 1st 05, 04:54 AM
CatNipped

"rose ricciuto" wrote in message
For those who remember - I was worried about an extremely aggressive 3
yr old cat and introducing 2 kittens to the family. The aggressive
neutered male is in terror of the kittens now that they are officially
"in the house." He actually makes bleating meows when faced with them.
He's still mean to the other adult cats but the kittens have him
baffled.

ROTFLMAOWTIME! Sorry, but kittens *can* inspire terror in the best of us!

The kittens have survived coccidia and upper respiratory infections and
are healthy and a joy.
Our vet couldn't believe the smallest one survived since he was so ill
and only weighed .8 lb when we rescued him. He's up to 3 . 2 lb now.

I'm *SO* glad they're doing well!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 05, 06:18 AM
Snittens

"rose ricciuto" wrote in message
For those who remember - I was worried about an extremely aggressive 3
yr old cat and introducing 2 kittens to the family. The aggressive
neutered male is in terror of the kittens now that they are officially
"in the house." He actually makes bleating meows when faced with them.
He's still mean to the other adult cats but the kittens have him
baffled.
The kittens have survived coccidia and upper respiratory infections and
are healthy and a joy.
Our vet couldn't believe the smallest one survived since he was so ill
and only weighed .8 lb when we rescued him. He's up to 3 . 2 lb now.

When I was fostering kittens, my alpha-ish male would be totally in fear of
the kittens when I let them out of their room. He would hiss, growl, and
slink away.
Glad to hear they are doing well!

-Kelly

Old August 1st 05, 03:50 PM
rose ricciuto

Thanks for all the good wishes. Joshua and Peanut are safe forever!!

Old August 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 31 Jul 2005 11:42:18p, rose ricciuto wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

For those who remember - I was worried about an extremely
aggressive 3 yr old cat and introducing 2 kittens to the family.
The aggressive neutered male is in terror of the kittens now
that they are officially "in the house." He actually makes
bleating meows when faced with them. He's still mean to the
other adult cats but the kittens have him baffled.
The kittens have survived coccidia and upper respiratory
infections and are healthy and a joy.
Our vet couldn't believe the smallest one survived since he was
so ill and only weighed .8 lb when we rescued him. He's up to 3
. 2 lb now.

Great news! I suspect that in no time, your 3 year old is going to
be carrying on and playing with the kittens! Hopefully that will
curb his aggression to the others, but I wouldn't count on it.
Maybe just some distraction like what's happened here. The male
young one of mine (going on a year now - tiny kittens when I took
them in last Nov) is now bigger than him and he will sometimes put
himself between the aggressor and his main target; sort of a
distraction for a while.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 2nd 05, 01:16 AM
Arjun Ray

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 01:18:04 -0400, "Snittens"
wrote:

| When I was fostering kittens, my alpha-ish male would be totally in
| fear of the kittens when I let them out of their room. He would hiss,
| growl, and slink away.

And the kittens didn't chase and pester him?

Scruffy hissed now and then for a couple of days before accepting
Phoenix. Phoenix was relentless anyway. They got along famously
after that.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878

Later, Scruffy didn't care for Calvin and Katrina, but they had other
cats to bug, so they stayed out of Scruffy's way, and peace prevailed.

Old August 2nd 05, 03:33 AM
Snittens

wrote:

| When I was fostering kittens, my alpha-ish male would be totally in
| fear of the kittens when I let them out of their room. He would hiss,
| growl, and slink away.

And the kittens didn't chase and pester him?

Oh yeah, they would. Most of the time the kittens were oblivious to the
fact that Bartleby was hissing at them and would chase after him thinking it
was all a big game. He would reluctantly put up with them after a couple
days of this.

Scruffy hissed now and then for a couple of days before accepting
Phoenix. Phoenix was relentless anyway. They got along famously
after that.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878

Later, Scruffy didn't care for Calvin and Katrina, but they had other
cats to bug, so they stayed out of Scruffy's way, and peace prevailed.

Cute picture!

-Kelly

Old August 2nd 05, 04:33 AM
Arjun Ray

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:33:48 -0400, "Snittens"
wrote:
| "Arjun Ray" wrote:

| And the kittens didn't chase and pester him?
|
| Oh yeah, they would. Most of the time the kittens were oblivious to
| the fact that Bartleby was hissing at them and would chase after him
| thinking it was all a big game. He would reluctantly put up with them
| after a couple days of this.

That's the way it often pans out. Big bad-ass alpha-male, terror of
cats who know fear, surrenders meekly to the onslaught of kittens, who
know none.

Thanks. Plenty more he http://www.picturetrail.com/aray/
Old August 2nd 05, 06:41 AM
Kitkat

wrote:

| When I was fostering kittens, my alpha-ish male would be totally in
| fear of the kittens when I let them out of their room. He would hiss,
| growl, and slink away.

And the kittens didn't chase and pester him?

Scruffy hissed now and then for a couple of days before accepting
Phoenix. Phoenix was relentless anyway. They got along famously
after that.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878

Later, Scruffy didn't care for Calvin and Katrina, but they had other
cats to bug, so they stayed out of Scruffy's way, and peace prevailed.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878

this picture RULES!!! the expression on Scruffy's face...priceless!

pam,
cracking up looking at scruffy and phoenix
Old August 3rd 05, 01:19 AM
Arjun Ray

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:41:37 GMT, Kitkat
wrote:

| http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878
|
| this picture RULES!!! the expression on Scruffy's face...priceless!

Oops, you had the same problem as Karen a couple of months back. It
isn't easy to get URLs for individual pictures in a "framed" site.
Did you mean this one?

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...imgid=19351489

You can view just the thumbnails he

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...751&uid=514878

(Opera users can get here by right-clicking on Frame - Maximize, and
Firefox users by This Frame - Show Frame in a New Tab. IE users will
have to manually change the URL from p=999 to p=1.)

URLs for individual pictures are easier to pick off from here.