Moving the food bowls

Old March 16th 15, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Moving the food bowls

I'm trying to get the house showable so I can sell it and move to
Florida, and part of that involves moving the cat food bowls from the
bathroom to the now empty spare bedroom. The idea is to make the
bathroom look less digusting, but the cats are outraged at this change
in their food supply.

Nipsy gave a few unhappy whines but then followed me into the bedroom
and began eating. Marlo stood at the door, looking in but not at all
happy with the change. That's pretty odd because I just threw out the
bed from that room, and she often slept there. I suppose she's unhappy
that the bed is gone. Finally she moved over to a bowl.

Scooter watched Nipsy and Marlo eat, but then decided that perhaps he
was hungry enough to risk licking at some food. None of them are happy
about it, nor am I since it's less efficient than using the bathroom.

The litter robot, which used to be in the hallway, is now tucked into
a corner of the spare bedroom as well. So far they're pretty much
ignoring that in favor of the regular litterbox in the computer room,
but I expect that they'll be back to using the robot in a few days.

So now the spare bedroom, computer room (middle bedroom), bathroom,
and hallway are more or less showable. Next is to tackle the master
bedroom, and then the main floor (kitchen, dining room, living room,
1/2 bath). I never managed to reach the vaunted Horder status, but did
reach pack rat.
Old March 16th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Boyfie is a creature of habit and it sounds like your cats are too. He has
3 bowls side by side in the kitchen. One is stainless steel for wet food.
This has to be on the right. His water bowl is ceramic, that has to be in
the middle. His dry food bowl is ceramic - for his 10pm "sprinkles" this
has to be on the left. If they are arranged differently he doesn't like it
and if I accidently put his sprinkles into his wet food dish he is
horrified. He stares up at me as if he is saying "what? they're not
supposed to go in *there*!"
I hope your cats get used to eating elsewhere.

You might consider getting some cleaners & organizers in if you are a bit of
a pack rat and want to show your house off to sell. It costs some money but
it will be worth it as you'll get a much better price. Might mean getting
rid of stuff though.
Good luck with your move.

Tweed

Old March 16th 15, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
I don't envy you trying to sort out your home either. I was going to have
my house in ship shape order when I retired. 5 months later and it's still
a mess.

Judith

ROFL. I thought the same. "When I retire I will clean the house from top to
bottom every week; I'll have seven days to do it in."
Do I? No, I don't. Now I have my bus pass I think "would I rather go out
or clean my house?" Don't get me wrong, my house is reasonable, not dirty
but it's not pristine either. I don't dust or vacuum every day.
As my grandmother said "it doesn't matter if you spend all your time
cleaning your house, no one will care in 100 years."
Providing it's safe, hygienically (is that a word?) i.e clean toilet.
bathroom, clean fridge, oven, work surfaces to prepare food, a bit of
clutter does not matter.
Not to the extent of Hoarders on CBS Reality though!
Now doesn't that program make your house seem perfect ;-) !
I think we worry too much when we see perfect houses on TV. Like we ought
to be able to achieve it. Well you can if you want to spend all day at it.
I don't.
Don't worry about that, just enjoy your retirement. You can clean and tidy
the house when it rains all day and you are bored.
Do you have a bus pass? The minute you are eligible, apply for it. It
might be different in local authorities but I can get all over England on
local buses for free. A friend of mine has worked how out to get from Leics
to her caravan in Mablethorpe (Lincolnshire) by hopping on and off of local
buses. It takes her 5 hours. She has never learned to drive.
I once thought I'd use mine to see how far I could get, but what if couldn't
get home on the same day for Boyfie's feed? It needs planning.

Old March 17th 15, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

(snippage)

Technically I'm not retired but my house is far from pristine. It's not
dirty but no, I don't dust and vacuum every day. I keep the kitchen
tidy and the bathrooms clean, I spend more time on those things but even
then it's not a great deal of time.

I try not to collect stuff but over time, things do accumulate.
Periodically I go through my closets and cupboards and find clothing or
items I no longer use to donate to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

My (Scottish) grandmother was the polar opposite of yours. Allegedly
she was a maid of all work before she got married; I don't know whether
that made a difference. I do know her house was always scrupulously
clean. She spent a good deal of time every day dusting and vacuuming,
constantly tidying up. I have memories of her ironing pillow cases and
linen napkins. Her kitchen sparkled. (But she also had two kitchens -
one that company might see and one in the basement where she did the
messy stuff such as making preserves.)

If Grandma was coming to visit my mother would do a massive cleanup
because Grandma was such a stickler about it. She wouldn't hesitate to
do the white glove test and "tsk tsk" if she found dust.

I guess I take after my mother. Constant cleaning is just not
terribly important to me. No one is going to be filming a television
commercial in my house.

Jill
Old March 17th 15, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/16/2015 9:25 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
dgk wrote:
[...]

They really do not like change do they and how they show it. I had enough
guilt trips and I'd only moved Sootie's scratching post to a place the
other side of the hall, three feet away.

They definitely don't like change! I never had to move Persia's food
bowls or litterbox (I was in a rented apartment, no need to get it ready
for "showing".) But then I moved her from Tennessee to here in South
Carolina. That move definitely upset her. She hid in my bedroom for
nearly 2 weeks. Her food/water bowls were in there and her litterbox
was in the adjoining bathroom. I think she'd have gone bonkers if I'd
ever tried to move them somewhere else. She wouldn't have understood
why I'd done it.

dgk's cats will adjust, provided he doesn't keep moving things around.

I don't envy you trying to sort out your home either. I was going to have
my house in ship shape order when I retired. 5 months later and it's still
a mess.

Judith

I lived in my apartment in TN for 12 years. When I was moving from
there to South Carolina I couldn't *believe* all the stuff I had
accumulated! I rented a dumpster (a rubbish bin the company would
subsequently haul away) so I could get rid of things I couldn't give
away/donate.

It was then I discovered I had a rather strange neighbor. I'd never met
him before. He was literally dumpster diving, retrieving things I had
thrown away. I found that rather odd. Then he knocked on the door and
when John answered he wanted to know if he could come inside and see if
I had anything else he might like to take! Um, no. I didn't want him
prowling through my apartment. We told him if it's not in the dumpster
you'll find the things I'm giving away set out by the curb.

Jill
Old March 17th 15, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

[...]

Wow, that is an odd neighbor.

I haven't figured out how I'm going to do the actual move yet. I know
that I'll have to rent a van and drive down with the cats, and the
only room that has any furniture is the second bedroom. I kept the old
sleeper couch that was there so I'd have somewhere to sleep untll my
furniture arrives.

I suspect that I'll keep the cats in that bedroom while they get used
to having moved. And when the furniture arrives, I'll keep them in it
while it all gets inside since nothing is going in that room. It will
be interesting.

Old March 17th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:48:37 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

And probably a painter to touch up things. I have a realtor coming to
look at it tonight so I'll have a better idea what will need to be
done.
Old March 17th 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

You might consider getting some cleaners & organizers in if you are a bit of
a pack rat and want to show your house off to sell. It costs some money but
it will be worth it as you'll get a much better price. Might mean getting
rid of stuff though.
Good luck with your move.

Tweed

And probably a painter to touch up things. I have a realtor coming to
look at it tonight so I'll have a better idea what will need to be
done.

Just don't let the realtor talk you into renting furniture for
"staging". They've been watching too much television. Decluttering is
one thing. Making it look like a model home is pretty ridiculous (not
to mention expensive.) IMHO. I have a pretty good eye. I imagine how
a room will look with *my* furniture/belongings in it. Looking at a
room done by a decorator doesn't help me because I am not buying that stuff.

Jill
Old March 17th 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Regarding the cleaning the house issue, my late grandmother had a neighbor
who cleaned her house all the time. It was pristine, and she used to lay
newspapers on the floor so that people coming in from the street would not
muddy the floors.

She once told my grandma, "My house is so clean you can eat from the floor".

Grandma replied: "Nah, we use plates".

Jay