How Much to Feed Buffy?

Old July 1st 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default How Much to Feed Buffy?

When I adopted Buffy on June 2nd the caretaker said she'd eat "just
about anything". She was feeding her dry food from a bin in the pantry
and a 9 Lives canned food.

Buffy is only the 2nd cat I've ever had. Persia had to eat prescription
food for most of her years. I had to dole it out when she gained weight.

I've got some dry kibble for Buffy but I'm trying to feed her more
canned food than anything else.

The problem is I don't know how much to feed her. We all know cats will
act like they're starving to death even when they aren't.

Buffy is a tad plump so I don't want to overdo it. I do think I need to
divvy it up into morning and evening feedings, like I did for Persia.

So how much should I feed her? A can of Sheba (or Fancy Feast) is 3 OZ.
85g. Should she get a whole can a day, half in the morning half in
the evening?

There are larger cans of cat food. Friskies and 9 Lives (which I've
always felt were slightly inferior due to by-products being the first
ingredient). They weigh in at 5.5 OZ (156g) per can.

I've looked for feeding guidelines online but of course every site (and
every brand of cat food) suggest something different.

If you had an only cat and she was a little chubby, how much would you
feed her a day?

Note: I do play with her and she has toys. It's not as if she doesn't
get exercise. She's about to wear me out! G

Jill
Old July 1st 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

When I adopted Buffy on June 2nd the caretaker said she'd eat "just
about anything". She was feeding her dry food from a bin in the
pantry and a 9 Lives canned food.

Buffy is only the 2nd cat I've ever had. Persia had to eat prescription
food for most of her years. I had to dole it out when she gained weight.

I've got some dry kibble for Buffy but I'm trying to feed her more
canned food than anything else.

The problem is I don't know how much to feed her. We all know cats
will act like they're starving to death even when they aren't.

Buffy is a tad plump so I don't want to overdo it.

Most cats self-regulate pretty well. If you just let her eat what
she wants, she's likely to stay a bit tubby but no more than that.
Our three all free-feed: Marblecake is "matronly" but still energetic,
Chloe is old, slow and skinny, and Ollie is the furry equivalent of
a Baywatch lifeguard. They've all been like that for years.

Old July 2nd 15, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 7/1/2015 5:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I have 3 cats (Duffy, Selina and Nikki), and I feed them Wellness
no-grains canned food. They get one 5.5 oz can and one 12.5 oz can of
food every day. No kibble. It is generally suggested that cats get fed
twice a day (12-hour intervals, or as close to that as possible). That
would work well for Duffy and Nikki. However, I noticed shortly after I
adopted Selina that she would often vomit a few minutes after eating.
My theory was that she was eating too quickly because she had been
rescued from a parking lot. She was also pregnant at the time. I
thought she might have a fear of never getting enough food. So, I now
feed the same quantities of food listed above, but I now divide it into
3 meals every day. That has worked well for all 3 cats. Free-feeding
will work for some cats, but many (just like people) will snack all day
and gain weight.

MaryL

Old July 2nd 15, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pit2nya

On 7/1/2015 7:45 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I've been Free-feeding Pit2nya mostly a mix of indoor/hairball/lite dry
food and 1/3 small or 2/4 regular canned food. At her lat
shots-and-physical, including weigh-in, she had dropped about 12 ounces
in 6 months. Our vet was concerned abuut the loss, and Pit2nya is due
back in to be weighed in 2 weeks from visit. So I added a normal regular
calorie dry food to the mix, figuring that should do it, but now she's
leaving some of her canned foood, probably because she's getting more
calories from her dry food (cleaver cat).
We'll see.

She is a medium hair, won't let me brush her much either, so it's hard
to tell . . .she looks a bit "fluffy" to me.

Sylvia
Old July 2nd 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Pit2nya" wrote in message
On 7/1/2015 7:45 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

That's what I do. Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, saw their vet a few months
ago and were not overweight. They share a can of Fancy Feast in the morning,
and another in the evening, so each one gets half a can twice a day. During
the day there's free kibble in a dish.

This has been their diet for the past 4 years.

Jay

Old July 2nd 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/1/2015 10:45 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

Buffy mostly gets Sheba. It doesn't contain grains. She loves the beef
and the chicken pate. It's funny, Persia (RB) never cared for "fishy"
food and I'm finding Buffy doesn't like it, either. I found Sheba
coupons online and they recently lowered the price so that helps.

Everything I've read states we tend to overfeed them because they cry
and act as if they're starving. She's not starving, but it's hard to
tell exactly how much to give her. Hence my question.

I think I'll give her half of a 3 oz can, twice a day. IOW, an entire 3
oz. can per day. I'll see how that goes.

Jill
Old July 2nd 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/2/2015 1:13 PM, JJ wrote in reply to Jill:
Should she get a whole can a day, half in the morning half in
the evening?

That's what I do. Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, saw their vet a few months
ago and were not overweight. They share a can of Fancy Feast in the morning,
and another in the evening, so each one gets half a can twice a day. During
the day there's free kibble in a dish.

This has been their diet for the past 4 years.

Jay

Thanks, Jay! I think she'll do fine with a single 3 oz. can per day,
half served in the morning and half in the evening. I'll adjust it
if/as needed.

I do put a little sprinkle of dry food in another bowl at night so she
can have a snack if she feels like it.

Jill
Old July 2nd 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 7/2/2015 12:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

That's good. My vet says cats should not get much fish.

I found Sheba
coupons online and they recently lowered the price so that helps.

Everything I've read states we tend to overfeed them because they cry
and act as if they're starving.

Also, I was once told that if we give our cats the amount that producers
of cat food say we should we will end up with fat cats.

Old July 2nd 15, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/2/2015 2:03 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I don't know where the idea that cats love fish came from. I suppose
there were cats on ships but weren't they there to keep down the rat
population? Maybe they were fed some fish scraps. I dunno.

Also, I was once told that if we give our cats the amount that producers
of cat food say we should we will end up with fat cats.

That's true. That's how Persia got fat. I'd never had a cat before.
The bag of food I bought said feed her a cup a day. So I did. Next
thing I knew she went from sleek and svelte to overweight.

Buffy was already a little chubby when I adopted her. Feeding twice a
day I already know about. "It's not time yet", she's learning.

Jill
Old July 2nd 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I feed Boyfie two pouches of wet a day, morning and afternoon plus a bit of
dry (two tablespoons) at 10 pm. He maintains a good weight correct for his
size on that. If
he was chubby, I'd do 1 and half pouches and no dry.
if she needs to lose weight, no treats.
I am terrified that if I feed Boyfie too much he will get fat and diabetic
and I know that he wouldn't allow me to medicate him so no matter how much
he moans about "need more fudz" he gets what he gets and does well on it.
He gets two pouches (100 grams each) every day plus the nightly sprinkles.
He isn't starving but he thinks he is.

toys. It's not as if she doesn't
get exercise. She's about to wear me out! G

Jill

Yet another Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 3 June 30th 15 10:34 AM
Buffy next to me (pic) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 8 June 28th 15 01:05 AM
Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 38 June 21st 15 06:01 PM
Another Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 June 20th 15 07:47 PM
to feed or not to feed visiting cat Lydia Cat health & behaviour 159 October 2nd 03 03:26 AM