I'm much happier about Boyfie

Old August 13th 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I'm much happier about Boyfie

He is much more himself. Today he resumed meatloafing on his quilt on the
freezer in the conservatory and jumped the 5 foot gate at the side of the
house. He hasn't done either thing since his fight, so I am guessing
whatever damage he sustained stopped him from jumping.
He really loves lying on the freezer, when he was a lost boy he used to
sleep on it overnight and then run away when I opened the door.
He's put on a lot of weight through freefeeding and I will probably only
have to continue this for another 2 weeks or so. However, I suspect he's
becoming a bit spoilt. Just now he told me wants some more food. He has
some dry in his ceramic dish plus some Sheba left in his stainless steel
dish. So I arrange it all again better in the bowls with my finger. He
sniffs it and says No.
Bad luck then..

Actually I don't think he could eat any more if he tried.

If, when he regains his weight, he maintains it without being stuffed with
food all the time, I will not feed him senior food again. If he doesn't,
then we are still looking at a medical issue.
I didn't realise that senior food was reduced in calories and I think it
should be made more clear on the box or can that it is. I thought that as
he was getting older it would be better for him and maybe it is for some
cats, but not for him as he is an active cat and feeding him on it made him
lose weight and become ill.

I might write to the manufacturers about this. They need to make it clear
on what they now call 7+ food that it's reduced calorie.
Don't think I won't. I wrote to the manufacturers of Boyfie's preferred food
before about Chinese ingredients when the Iam's Chinese ingredients caused a
lot of cat & dog deaths in the USA.
I asked them if they used Chinese ingredients in the food I buy. To their
credit, they did reply but they fudged it a bit (so they do!) but did say
they took great care about food safety.
At first I'll ask them "I have a fat cat, so is your 7+ food reduced in
calories?"
See if they say yes to that. If they do I'm going to write again to ask
them to make it clear on every pack or tin of senior food that it's reduced
calorie and because they didn't it's possible that my cat became ill.
I'll let you know what they say.

Tweed

Old August 14th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 8/13/2015 1:37 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad that Boyfie is feeling better. It's so worrying when you don't
know exactly what happened and what is going on in their heads.

I didn't realise that Senior cat food was low in calories either. I had
been thinking of getting some for Sootie but she carries absolutely no
extra weight. She does have a lifestyle similar Boyfie's and so as you say
they are active and don't need calorie reduced food. I thought it meant
that nutrients that older cats need were in the senior food. I agree it
does need to be made clear.

Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed to
hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Judith

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she'll be okay.

Joy
Old August 14th 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 8/14/2015 12:36 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Mom isn't good but she's 95 years old so she can't recover easily.

Judith

I understand. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain.

Joy
Old August 14th 15, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:16:02 PM UTC, Christina Websell wrote:
..
I didn't realise that senior food was reduced in calories and I think it
should be made more clear on the box or can that it is. I thought that as
he was getting older it would be better for him and maybe it is for some
cats, but not for him as he is an active cat and feeding him on it made him
lose weight and become ill.

Well there you are- senior cat food is lower in calories based on the assumption an older cat is less likely to be as active as before. As Boyfie is still an active cat he doesn't need senior food.

I am still mystified that senior cat food is aimed at cats 8 or older- 8 isn't that old for a cat. On that basis Isis (RB) was a senior for more than half her life I told her this when she was 16 and she was too busy chasing her tail to reply....

I feed good wet food (I think you may have been right about the sugar in Felix-Bonnie started to have some unpleasant smelling products emerging from her rear end as it were when I brought a lot of Felix. These days they are both on mostly Whiskas/Felix very occasionally (if I buy single pouches for whatever reason)/Sheba/ Gourmet Perle (If on special offer)/Co op own brand and Spirit gets Hills hypoallergenic and occasional Dreamies)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 15th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

So did I. It sounds as if Sootie doesn't need a reduced calorie diet
either. I'm certainly not going to feed Boyfie on it again.

I agree it
does need to be made clear.

Yes, it does. I'm actually quite annoyed about it. He's only been fed on
it for about a year and has obviously been subtly losing weight over that
time.
I will weigh him again in a few days. He has been stuffed to the gills with
any food he wants at any time he wants it for nearly 3 weeks now. At first
he loved it, but now he's not so sure.. anyway it's having the desired
effect, he's piling on the weight. I'm very grateful to my vet for not
rushing to conclusions about thyroid problems and suggesting overfeeding for
a while rather than immediate blood tests. She did say "come back if he
doesn't gain weight in 3 weeks and we'll go from there" and he has. She's a
really good vet.

Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed to
hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Sorry to hear this, what a worry, will she be OK? I hope so.

Old August 15th 15, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
[...]

__________
Felix has sugar in, and so does Gourmet Perle. Co-op own brand probably
does, most own brand stuff has "various sugars" in, you need to examine the
box for ingredients.
Whiskas is free of sugar, also Kit-e-Kat and Sheba. Hill's should be fine.
I have some Dreamies, but it was Boyfie's present from Germany so the
ingredients on the pack are in German. I do know a bit of German, but sugar
is not one of those words ;-) I doubt Nüle would send him anything with
sugar in as it was her that made me aware.

I use "no sugar" food because I want to protect Boyfie's teeth which up to
now are perfect.
Some manufacturers put sugar in to make their food more palatable? We
should stop buying it and tell them why.
Boyfie likes Felix, and he would get it if it had no sugar in, but it does,
so he doesn't.

Atm, Boyfie is living his dream, ask for food, get it immediately. He is
gaining weight so rapidly that after another two weeks or so .. he'll have
to wait until 3.45 again.
I don't put his weight loss entirely down to senior food, but it didn't help
when he was under immense bullying stress too.

He's doing well. I really thought he had medical problems, probably
thyroid, but now I think he doesn't.

Purrs & prayers he got might have helped with it..

Tweed

Old August 15th 15, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:15:58 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
If, when he regains his weight, he maintains it without being stuffed with
food all the time, I will not feed him senior food again. If he doesn't,
then we are still looking at a medical issue.
I didn't realise that senior food was reduced in calories and I think it
should be made more clear on the box or can that it is. I thought that as
he was getting older it would be better for him and maybe it is for some
cats, but not for him as he is an active cat and feeding him on it made him
lose weight and become ill.

It sounds like it's marketed for senior *American* cats.

I do remember reading on senior food labels before that they're reduced
calories - well, it didn't say that directly, but I think said that it was
for older cats with reduced activity. But now that you mention it, that
makes me a bit skeptical too - many older cats lose weight anyway as they
get older.
Old August 15th 15, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/13/2015 4:37 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed to
hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Judith

I'm late in reply to this but I do hope your mom isn't in much pain.
It's so worrisome when they get older. Purrs for a quick recovery.

Jill
Old August 15th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/14/2015 4:32 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
I am still mystified that senior cat food is aimed at cats 8 or older- 8 isn't that old for a cat. On that basis Isis (RB) was a senior for more than half her life I told her this when she was 16 and she was too busy chasing her tail to reply....

LOL about Isis chasing her tail. I agree, 8 isn't that old. I suspect
it's just another way to sell cat food. Boyfie is obviously very active
and doesn't need lower calorie food.

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better and it was nothing serious.

Jill
Old August 16th 15, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Gourmet Perle is an occasional treat-they both love it but it only comes in small portions- they had some recently when Spirit seemed a little off colour (you know when her BCT led to a thermometer up the jacksy at the vets) but it's not a regular thing-it's rather like ham, which they both love but I limit it mostly to birthdays/Xmas/ now and again if we're having some (And we don't eat it that often)I certainly wouldn't feed them it on a regular basis.

I checked the Co-Op food and it's the same as Kit-e-Cat

I usually feed Whiskas and Spirit gets her Hills hypoallergenic dry, it's really done wonders for her skin- the only other explanation was fleas causing her to overgroom but the vet found none on her and none were found on Bonnie but I did a treatment to be on the safe side. Her bald patches are regrowing and she's not hiding as she was- she's currently watching telly on Dave's lap

I also put a little Whiskas dry down for Bonnie when Spirit is getting her Hills. When Bonnie arrived she refused to touch dry but when she sees Spirit getting some she wants some so I have some Whiskas dental to put in her dish at the same time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

OT - On a Happier Note CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 7 April 30th 11 04:11 PM
OT Why Men are Happier Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 8 December 23rd 05 04:28 AM
Happier cat Susan M Cat anecdotes 4 October 31st 05 11:02 PM
Happier Cat One Can Sam via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 September 14th 05 10:23 PM
Happier tidings Exocat Cat anecdotes 12 November 25th 03 07:58 PM