Advice wanted for handling new kitten

Old July 8th 05, 02:52 PM

Default Advice wanted for handling new kitten

Hi,

I got a kitten about 3 months ago. She is now 6 months old. I got
another 8 week old kitten last weekend. They have very different
personalities.

The new kitten is extremely friendly - lets you pet her, she is
generally pretty calm, and she will just sit on your lap and go to
sleep.

And and night, she slept right beside my head the first few days - very
cute.

I separated them for the first night from all the growling and hissing
I saw from my older kitten - who is also much bigger. But the second
night, I introduced them to each other.

They have been fighting and the older kitten is asserting dominance,
but they also seem to have peace at times too, and can be quite
friendly toward each other.

What I'm trying to figure out is how do I form a bond with the younger
kitten without making the older kitten jealous. Also, will the older
kitten declare me as "hers", and essentially mark me off limits to the
younger kitten.

I'm asking this because I believe that the younger kitten is starting
to sleep by herself rather than on my bed. The older kitten always
sleeps on the bed with me.

Steve

Old July 8th 05, 04:23 PM
Gail

The best thing would have been to separate them for a longer period of time
and gradually let them get to know each other. Now, though, as long as they
are not hurting each other (the older one hurting the little one), they can
be together. You may want to put the older one in a room for awhile and let
the younger kitten snoop around my herself and play with her by herself. She
will need more attention since she is new and younger. In time, they will
work out the pecking order and be friends. Both are young enough to
integrate. Make sure both are spayed ASAP.
Gail
oups.com...

Old July 9th 05, 01:19 AM
Rhonda

Hi Steve,

It's probably going to take some time yet until they come to an
understanding with each other. Do they ever play together? Maybe you can
get a toy (like the feather on the fishing-pole variety) and play with
them together.

We've found here that when we bring home a new cat, we have to give tons
of attention to the old cats. They really need to be reassured. If you
give extra attention and preference to the new one, it can cause
problems with the old ones.

Try getting them closer together and petting both at the same time, too.
Hopefully they'll be one cat lump, soon. Is the older one fixed yet?
Hormones can do some strange things.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old July 9th 05, 08:53 PM
Alison

wrote in message
[...]

I think you older cat is being territorial and protecting her assets
rather than being dominant just for the sake of it . Think how you
would feel if a stranger started living in your house and sleeping in
your bed and drinking the your beer in your fridge!
I think they will get a long better given time and the older cat will
share you but I wouldn't leave them along for long periods in case
they fight and it gets out of hand..
You could encourage them to play with you at the same time with a
fishing rod type toy in each hand and bond that way , or you could
spend a few minutes playing with the kitty when your older cat is
occupied else where say when she is eating . I wouldn't shut the older
cat away while you played and petted the new kitten.
Where does the older cat sleep on your bed, does she try to drive
the kitten off it ?
Alison